Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Matt Whittle

Default Hi all, this is Matthew Whittle

Hi everyone,

Here is a little about me.

My
name is Matthew Whittle and I currently work as a senior application
developer at VSP (Vision Service Plan) - it is eye insurance.* I have a
lovely wife and no kids (yet!).* We live in Sacramento California in the
US and I heard about this project through someone at JBoss at the
JavaOne conference in San Francisco.* At my current work I develop
backend services for our membership using Java and Websphere and for fun
I develop games for the iPhone (I have about 8 out now).* I have been
using Fedora at home for about 5 years now.*

I joined this group because I have a desire to build a 3D operating
system.* By tomorrow.* Just kidding.* Yes I know that is a huge task but
I thought I could start small by making a 3D desktop background...* or
maybe I should start even smaller.* But at least you know my short and
long term goals.*

My IRC handle I believe is MattWhCaUs (it is the nickname I used)

Cool beans - looking forward to hearing from y'all.*

Cheers,

Matthew Whittle

Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Matt Whittle

Hi Lailah!

Thanks for greeting me

Here is the grand scheme of things...

What do you mean "3D operating system"?
*** Imagine playing Quake.* You move from room to room in a 3D environment.* The rooms are gorgeous and have a large bay window with an ocean view.* In one room you check your email.* In another you write a document.* In another you create some graphics.* You move from room to room instead of moving windows around.*

Would there be menus?
*** There would be no menu bars.* If you want to do something, you would use a tool to do it.* Just like in video games you have a set of tools that help you get through the game, in this 3D operating system you have a set of tools that help you do your work.*

How would you copy and paste?
*** Just like in games where you pick things up, there would be a hand tool you would use to copy things by grabbing them with your hand.* Then you would see what is copied in the hand at the bottom of the screen.* Wherever you put it, there it "pastes".

So how would I copy and paste things between my email and a text document if they are in different rooms?
*** When reading your email, you would copy whatever section you want to put into the text document and walk over to the text document and plop it down.

What if I want to drag and drop?
*** There would be a tool for that too.* The tool would be the "drag and drop" tool.* It would have a left side and a right side.* When it is on left, you click where you want to drag from or to, and then on the right you click the other.* When you are ready it would present the left and right to you and you can perform your drag and drop from one side to the other.*

What if I want to copy multiple items?
*** There would be a tool for that too.* It would be the bag tool.* If you "copy" something by picking it up into your hand, you can place it into a bag.* It at that point would be persisted to the hard drive.* Then you can pull it out of the bag and put it wherever you'd like.

It sounds like there will be way too many tools.* How will you make it easy for the user?
*** You would initially start without any tools.* You would have a home and near it there would be a marketplace.* In the marketplace you can "buy" whatever tools you thing you'd use.* "Buy" is in quotes because all the tools are free - all the ones that come with the operating system.* Also, you can build your house any way you'd like.* So if you never use a certain application, you need not create a room that has it in there.* Thus you can customize your house to be whatever way you want and your set of tools as well.*

Customization causes issues when the user of one system becomes familiar with the way they are doing things and tries to use another system which is completely different.* How will you mitigate this issue?
*** Your house and toolset preferences can be stored into a file.* That file can be put on a flash disk or on the web so that when you are on another computer, you can download that file.* When you open it on another computer, it creates your home as a neighbor.* When you enter that home, your toolbox and house settings will all match what you are used to on your own computer.*

What happens if you have paid for an application on your home computer and it isn't available on a friend's computer?
*** That room has the door locked and a message indicating why.*

Would there be folders?

*** There would be no folders.* Each file would have an x,y,z coordinate.* Instead of organizing things into folders, they would be organized by tags.* Any file can have as many tags as it needs.* Each tag would work like a column in a database.* You can make up whatever tags you like.* There then would also be no need for aliases or shortcuts.*

How do you get two files with the same name?
*** Files can have the same name because there would be no unique constraint on the name anywhere.**

How would you replace a file?
*** There would be a tool for that.*

How would you delete a file?
*** There would be a tool for that too.

How would you ftp a file?
*** Ah!* Well, there would be a tool for that!

But how would you put your file into the FTP?
*** Pick it up with the hand tool, like a copy, and put it into FTP.

What about web browsing?* Could you download firefox or google chrome?
*** 2D applications would still work on the os.* They would go on one wall in a room.* Their menus would show up like menus and still work just like the 2D application you are used to.* Each new window, however, would show up on a different wall in the room.*

What happens if you run out of walls in your room?
*** You have too many windows open.* If you really do need more windows, you build a larger room that has more space for more windows.

But how will the 2D application install if the OS is so different?

*** There's the beauty - the OS isn't so different.* Everything Red Hat has is still there.* You can even open up a terminal on a wall and access everything just like you can now.

How do 3D applications work differently than 2D?

*** Because they are using openGL and mipmaps, zooming into and out of the application comes native with the os.* Zooming in 2D applications will cause the pixilization common to 2D applications.*

Wait - you said there would be no unique constraint on files and Red Hat has a unique constraint per folder.* How will you get around that?

*** The files in the 3D Operating System have a unique constraint on their x,y,z coordinate.* Therefore, the x,y,z coordinate will be the folder name for which the file is placed.* All files for the 3D Operating System will live in one folder aptly named 3D Operating System

How would you put the computer to sleep?
*** There would be a room for that - with a bed.
*
What happens during a power failure?
*** All the 2D applications would behave just like they do today.* All the 3D applications, including the 3DOS, would remember their state.*

How would a flash disk work?
*** When a flash disk inserts, it would get added as a neighboring house.*

How would you copy file between flash disks?
*** There would be a copy tool which would make a copy of a file.* When you walk it from one house to another, it would automatically delete it from the one hard drive and place it on the other.*

How do you save a file?
*** There would be a new file save dialog box which lets you name the file, tag the file, and drops it in the x,y,z space you are current at.*

What other tools are there?
*** There will be a teleport tool that will teleport you to whatever place you want it to.*

*** There will be home building tools that will you
*** There will be a document finder that will help you locate your documents
*** There will be document opener to open a document and transport you to the appropriate room

Wouldn't this be so new that people would have a hard time adjusting from other operating systems?
*** Most people that play video games are already familiar with this type of operating system.* They find it enjoyable.*

So, the 3D background would just be a way to start small.* I was thinking have an ocean and a sky and have it animated.* It would stop animation if the CPU went too high or the computer went to sleep or if some other app wanted 3D full screen access.* The background picture would have to be replaced with a GLCanvas.* This of course would only be if they went to the desktop background control panel option and chose 3D background.*

This was probably way too much information but better more than less?

Thanks!

Matt

Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Lailah

Hello Matt!

*************** I found interesting your project.* Is like an Operative System for Gamers, isn't it?

I think it will need big and fast, powerful, computers to use it.* But anyway, it will be funny to use it.* Just curious...* in which SO you will base it?* Or you will make it from scratch?

I would like to know.* *

Regards,

Lailah

Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Matt Whittle

Hi Lailah,

Yes, it would be like an OS for gamers - but I can imagine in time that the normal person would even find it more intuitive and productive.* Big and fast powerful computers will make it look gorgeous but you can have it look less gorgeous to run on less powerful computers.* Forgive my ignorance, what is an SO?* My idea of how to make this happen would be to make a 3D background in Fedora that people could elect to use as their background.* Then enhance that background so that you can move the clouds around with the mouse (add mouse events).* Then make it so you can zoom in and out with key events.* Then build the first tool - the ability to make a wall.* Then build the second.* And the OS would be built one tool at a time.* That way you can use the agile methodology to deliver early and deliver often and there is no large learning curve of being forced to learn a new OS and if you like the way your old OS works, you could just not elect to use the 3D background.*

...And since this really is a ton of work and I'd be doing it on my spare time, if Fedora ever sees great value in it and likes what I produce, maybe they'd hire me at some point...**

Anyway, I'm on the infrastructure team too.* I've been in contact with Martin Sourada who suggested I join the design team.* I guess what I would like to do is make sure Fedora likes the idea and the approach and if they have any suggestions before I begin building it.* I imagine that the design team could add a great bit of experience and value into the finished product.* A team always builds a better product than an individual.*

Thanks,

Matthew Whittle