Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Frank Murphy

Default Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

On 18/06/12 16:07, Elad Alfassa wrote:

refer to this thread in -devel:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-June/168712.html

As I understand, by design, we wanted the older kernels to appear in the
"Advanced options" menu, but right now, it breaks every time you run a
kernel update.

Caused by Grubby. iirc the dev(s) not going to change it.

Also, the string Fedora Linux is kinda wrong, cause the OS is called
Fedora.
It should be something like Fedora (with Linux /kernel version here/).

Caused by Grub2-mkconfig

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"

Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Onyeibo Oku

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 07:44 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:19:59 -0400
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
> > The Fedora Rawhide rescue line and below - that's a submenu? How do
> > you access it? (Just trynig to read your mockup properly here)
> >
> Yeah, they are supposed to be submenus, accessed by selecting, say,
> Fedora 17 (Rescue) (or Troubleshooting, as you mentioned in another
> mail). Do I make more sense now?
>
> Martin

I think I can jump in here. Wow, what a reading! Great points, great
concerns! Great forum! Thank you Elad for starting this.

I think there could be a compromise for all parties. I personally
cringe when I am introducing a Linux-first-timer to fedora, and GRUB
shows up. Why? I sense the confusion they feel when they see all the
options, especially two Linux kernels and two windows options. That's
right ... two M$ Windoze options: one representing the rescue mode (yes,
that happens sometimes and I have to explain ... "eh, choose the last
one to run Windows" ... *duh*)

So, I agree with simplicity. So what if we have this?:

| |
| |
| Welcome to GRUB 2 |
| Select an OS to boot: |
| ---------------------- |
| |
| Fedora 17 |
| Microsoft Windows 7 |
| OS-X 7 |
| |
| Other Boot Options >> |
| |
| |
| |

Everything else can go under the last option. Peace!

Notice that I centred the menu options. From a design perspective, I
think this looks better (I hope the restrictions presented by GRUB2
doesn't affect centralization). It also tingles my psyche to see excess
space to the right and bottom of the menu -- as is in the present GRUB
menus. Its a waste of screen estate and is very unaesthetic. Why not
make the box/rectangle smaller -- perhaps with small quadrants at the
edges (kinda matches the Gnome theme -- now I am causing trouble :-))??

Since we are discussing GRUB2 design, lets address everything.

Regards
Onyeibo

Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 AM
"Dan Mashal"

+1000

Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Martin Sourada

Hi,

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 23:31:29 -0700
Dan Mashal wrote:

> +1000
well, well, aren't we having quite a lot of votes here? Anyway, I
like this proposal also the best. I like the centring, and how nicely
he grouped the other options. It is now much less cluttered and
works probably rather well for all types of people! So +1 from me too.

BTW while we're discussing themes -- shouldn't we go for release (or
perhaps even distro) agnostic theme? Currently the boot would look
less than desirable:
1. Grub2 with Beefy Miracle
2. Distro specific boot screen (in Fedora release agnostic, and IMHO
rather dull looking)
3. Distro/release specific login screen (in Fedora only bg is changed)
4. Whatever personalized desktop a user has

IMHO the jumping between beefy, fedora and back to beefy is rather odd
and it would be better (and kinder to other distros) to have something
not too flashy, yet fresh and professional looking and without any kind
of fedora specific branding. How does that sound?

Just my two cents WRT the theme discussion Onyeibo started.

Cheers,
Martin

Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 22:30:12 -0400,
Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
The only user I know of that realistically switches between specific
kernels on any kind of frequent basis is a kernel developer, and I
haven't seen any complaints or concerns from kernel developers about
the change. That being said, I can certainly reach out to a few and

Some of us fit more into a kernel tester category and need to run
previous kernels more often than another OS. But I expect the people
doing this are more advanced users and less likely to have issues
with this than the typical Fedora user.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Dan Mashal

It's not my dream solution but I am willing to compromise. I just wanted to raise my own concerns.

If I had it my way grub would be a blue fedora theme a la the red RHEL theme.

And you would be able to see all the kernels.

But again, in life you must compromise and I find this solution acceptable to me personally.

Dan