-   -   Team Improvements (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/665306-team-improvements.html)

Máirín Duffy 05-10-2012 05:39 PM

Team Improvements

Hey folks,

So at Libre Graphics Meeting in Vienna last week gnokii and I talked
about things we could improve on as a team.

We stopped having regular meetings in IRC and gnokii suggested it would
be good to bring these back, but maybe have two meetings in different
regions, and maybe have the meetings less frequently so it's easier for
people to make the meetings.

What do you think about this? What kind of meeting frequency would you
like to see? Once a month per region, so we'd have two per month? Every
other week per region, so one week could be region A, the next week be
region B, so we'd have weekly meetings but each person would need only
attend the one for their region (although you can attend the others if
you want.)

My suggestion for the regions would be North America / LATAM as one
region and EMEA / APAC as the other region. Does this make sense, or is
it too wide? Should we do Americas / EMEA as one region and APAC as
another instead?

Also, do you have any other suggestions for how we can improve as a
team? Some ideas I have:

- Setting up a GlitterGallery for the team to replace our artboard
- Setting up a fresh set of Sparkleshare repos since our old one is too
big and unwieldy for anybody to use.

Let me know what you think, I think we're doing okay generally but we
can always improve. Please bring any issues you have to the table so we
can brainstorm some solutions.

~m

Buddhike Kurera 05-10-2012 06:45 PM

Team Improvements

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Hello

Good to start a discussion on this.

> We stopped having regular meetings in IRC and gnokii suggested it would
> be good to bring these back, but maybe have two meetings in different
> regions, and maybe have the meetings less frequently so it's easier for
> people to make the meetings.

I like this idea too. Meetings remind that we are a team and we are
alive. Active participation is the concern though.

> What do you think about this? What kind of meeting frequency would you
> like to see? Once a month per region, so we'd have two per month? Every
> other week per region, so one week could be region A, the next week be
> region B, so we'd have weekly meetings but each person would need only
> attend the one for their region (although you can attend the others if
> you want.)

IMO, meetings per month per region would be reasonable. Having
meetings per week is too cumbersome.

> My suggestion for the regions would be North America / LATAM as one
> region and EMEA / APAC as the other region. Does this make sense, or is
> it too wide? Should we do Americas / EMEA as one region and APAC as
> another instead?

I am ok and do hope EMEA and APAC can find a convenient time slot for
this. If so APAC+EMEA would be a good combination :)

> Also, do you have any other suggestions for how we can improve as a
> team? Some ideas I have:
>
> - Setting up a GlitterGallery for the team to replace our artboard
> - Setting up a fresh set of Sparkleshare repos since our old one is too
> big and unwieldy for anybody to use.
>
> Let me know what you think, I think we're doing okay generally but we
> can always improve. Please bring any issues you have to the table so we
> can brainstorm some solutions.

It is good to divide tasks(wranglers?) and monitor them in
releases(Wallpapers, artwork, sleeves, CD/DVDartwork, Tshirts, event
posters, release parties, etc..). (We are doing this but more
organized manner).

Buddhike Chandradeepa Kurera(bckurera)
Fedora Ambassador - APAC region
Event*Liaison*- Design Team

Email:*bckurera@fedoraproject.org*|*IRC: bckurera

Máirín Duffy 05-10-2012 10:09 PM

Team Improvements

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 13:39 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> - Setting up a GlitterGallery for the team to replace our artboard

So I set up both GlitterGallery and WIP for us to play with:

GlitterGallery:
http://design-mo.rhcloud.com

WipUp / Eadrax:
http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/wip/

Neither is connected with FAS. Emily and I have been working on
GlitterGallery (Emily is the developer) and we presented it at LGM. The
advantage of using it is that we have a close connection to upstream ;-)

> - Setting up a fresh set of Sparkleshare repos since our old one is too
> big and unwieldy for anybody to use.

GlitterGallery sets up a git repo per project right now so I think it
needs to be sorted out where to copy pasta the git clone commands from
in the GlitterGallery UI?

~m

Jef van Schendel 05-10-2012 10:26 PM

Team Improvements

2012/5/11 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 13:39 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> - Setting up a GlitterGallery for the team to replace our artboard

So I set up both GlitterGallery and WIP for us to play with:

GlitterGallery:

http://design-mo.rhcloud.com

Cool, I finally get to see GlitterGallery in action! :)

Will there be a "Fedora" project to join?

Jef

Zachary Snyder 05-11-2012 02:08 AM

Team Improvements

I need to get added as a collaborator on the main repo so I can debug as well remember lol you've got more then on developer working on it now ;)

"Jared K. Smith" 05-11-2012 02:11 AM

Team Improvements

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> We stopped having regular meetings in IRC and gnokii suggested it would
> be good to bring these back, but maybe have two meetings in different
> regions, and maybe have the meetings less frequently so it's easier for
> people to make the meetings.
>
> What do you think about this? What kind of meeting frequency would you
> like to see?

I'd love to see the design team have meetings on a regular basis. I
frankly don't care if it's weekly or bi-weekly, but I'd love to see
regular meetings to provide more chance for interaction between the
team members, and transparency for the rest of us who like to lurk and
follow what happens. I also don't care one way or the other about
splitting the meeting into geographical regions -- my hope is simply
for more regular and improved communications.

--
Jared Smith

Luya Tshimbalanga 05-11-2012 05:43 AM

Team Improvements

[...]

A regional meeting will be welcomed. Due to the timezone difference,
meeting for Americas and other for EMEA will make sense. Design team
has big enough to assign different tasks.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic& Web Designer

"S.Kemter" 05-11-2012 09:36 AM

Team Improvements

Hi,

Am Freitag, 11. Mai 2012, 04:11:03 schrieb Jared K. Smith:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > We stopped having regular meetings in IRC and gnokii suggested it would
> > be good to bring these back, but maybe have two meetings in different
> > regions, and maybe have the meetings less frequently so it's easier for
> > people to make the meetings.
> >
> > What do you think about this? What kind of meeting frequency would you
> > like to see?
>
> I'd love to see the design team have meetings on a regular basis. I
> frankly don't care if it's weekly or bi-weekly, but I'd love to see
> regular meetings to provide more chance for interaction between the
> team members, and transparency for the rest of us who like to lurk and
> follow what happens. I also don't care one way or the other about
> splitting the meeting into geographical regions -- my hope is simply
> for more regular and improved communications.

Time to say also some things to this.

First of all Ryan would you stop please answering to digests. They are for
reading, and some ppl sort there mails in threads and that dont work with
replaced subjects. Second thing, reconsider ur greetings for the future. Ur
relegion is ur private thing and we have also muslims, hindus, jews on this
list.

So now to the other things: meetings. It was not my intention to divide
meetings to NA/LATAM and EMEA/APAC. Makes not really to do this in this way.
Alone APAC is a big region. It was more about the timezones.

Another thing is the rythm of the meetings, I heard here something about
monthly is enough. I dont think thats good. If u miss one meeting, the next
one will be one month later and thats a long time. So bi-weekly or shorter, at
least trough doing meeting with different times, it is on a bi-weekly rythm
monthly if u only participate in that for ur time zone.

br gnokii

Hisham Abdel-Magid 05-11-2012 04:52 PM

Team Improvements

how about meeting agendas if devided to regions? ... one agenda in Wiki discussed twice (perhaps the meetings would be on the same day but different timing?)? ...*<OR>*one agenda, short-listed ahead of meetings on Wiki while brainstorming ideas among regions (so each regional meeting would have kinda of a*"tailored" agendä)? ... (.. H is thinking loudly ^_^)

*
Eng. Hisham Isam M. Abdel-Magid
Lecturer, Department of Environmental Engineering,
College of Water & Environmental Engineering (CWEE)

Civil Engineer, Center for Consultancy and Feasibility Studies (CCF)
Sudan University of Science and Technology (SUST)

P.O.Box: 7382, Postal Code: 11123
Alsitteen Street - Khartoum, Sudan
Mobile: +249 904 152 628 | +249 122 007 122

E.Mail: hisham.imam@gmail.com

Fedora Ambassador in Sudan and Qatar,
E.mail: himam@fedoraproject.org
wiki: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Himam