-   -   Grub2 theme for Fedora 17 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/664875-grub2-theme-fedora-17-a.html)

Máirín Duffy 05-09-2012 08:14 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

Hey,

I worked today on creating the Grub2 theme for Fedora 17 as we'd
discussed earlier on this list. I took Alexander's design, removed the
fireworks so it's just the sky, and put the menu on top of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mairin/7166622040/in/photostream/lightbox/

The box is made to match the GDM login box. I think it looks pretty
nice; better than what we had before at least. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPu8SwPaKA

Spot and Peter are looking at getting rid of that weird flash before the
menu pops up.

~m

Elad Alfassa 05-09-2012 08:22 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

I worked today on creating the Grub2 theme for Fedora 17 as we'd

discussed earlier on this list. I took Alexander's design, removed the

fireworks so it's just the sky, and put the menu on top of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mairin/7166622040/in/photostream/lightbox/

The box is made to match the GDM login box. I think it looks pretty

nice; better than what we had before at least. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPu8SwPaKA

Spot and Peter are looking at getting rid of that weird flash before the

menu pops up.

~m

Looks awesome!
--

-Elad Alfassa.

Onyeibo Oku 05-09-2012 08:37 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 14:23 -0600, Wilfredo Porta wrote:
> +1
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Máirín Duffy
> <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I worked today on creating the Grub2 theme for Fedora
> 17 as we'd
> discussed earlier on this list. I took Alexander's
> design, removed the
> fireworks so it's just the sky, and put the menu on
> top of it:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mairin/7166622040/in/photostream/lightbox/
>
> The box is made to match the GDM login box. I think it
> looks pretty
> nice; better than what we had before at least. Here's
> a video:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPu8SwPaKA
>
> Spot and Peter are looking at getting rid of that
> weird flash before the
> menu pops up.
>
> ~m

> Looks awesome!
>
> --
> -Elad Alfassa.

Any chance of getting the blue background back in plymouth?

twohot

Máirín Duffy 05-09-2012 08:58 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 21:37 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
> Any chance of getting the blue background back in plymouth?

This late in the release, likely not. We can talk about it for F18
though.

~m

Luya Tshimbalanga 05-10-2012 12:37 AM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

On 09/05/12 01:14 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

Hey,

I worked today on creating the Grub2 theme for Fedora 17 as we'd
discussed earlier on this list. I took Alexander's design, removed the
fireworks so it's just the sky, and put the menu on top of it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mairin/7166622040/in/photostream/lightbox/

The box is made to match the GDM login box. I think it looks pretty
nice; better than what we had before at least. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPu8SwPaKA

Spot and Peter are looking at getting rid of that weird flash before the
menu pops up.

Much better compared to the archaic grub menu =)
Which fonts was used for grub2? It seems DejaVu but I am not sure. It
will be interesting to explore more on Grub2.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic& Web Designer

05-10-2012 02:55 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 16:14 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I worked today on creating the Grub2 theme for Fedora 17 as we'd
> discussed earlier on this list. I took Alexander's design, removed the
> fireworks so it's just the sky, and put the menu on top of it:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mairin/7166622040/in/photostream/lightbox/
>
> The box is made to match the GDM login box. I think it looks pretty
> nice; better than what we had before at least. Here's a video:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPu8SwPaKA
>
> Spot and Peter are looking at getting rid of that weird flash before the
> menu pops up.
>
> ~m

o/ Looks so good! I'm so happy we can do this now - no more
ancient-looking black and white grub menu.

Is there any way we can preview this before it comes out in (I assume)
f17rc1?

Máirín Duffy 05-10-2012 03:52 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 07:55 -0700, emily@fightingcrane.com wrote:

> Is there any way we can preview this before it comes out in (I assume)
> f17rc1?

Sure, there's two things you need -

http://linuxgrrl.com/temp/grub2-f17/beefymiracle-grub2-theme.tar.gz

Untar that so it lands in /boot/grub2/themes, then
update /etc/default/grub with this:

http://linuxgrrl.com/temp/grub2-f17/grub

It should work then. Make backups though in case i screwed up; messed-up
bootloader is a pain. (If you do find yourself unable to boot, 'grub2
install sda' on the emergency/recovery command line prompt should fix
it.)

~m

Onyeibo Oku 05-10-2012 05:14 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 11:52 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 07:55 -0700, emily@fightingcrane.com wrote:
>
> > Is there any way we can preview this before it comes out in (I assume)
> > f17rc1?
>
> Sure, there's two things you need -
>
> http://linuxgrrl.com/temp/grub2-f17/beefymiracle-grub2-theme.tar.gz
>
> Untar that so it lands in /boot/grub2/themes, then
> update /etc/default/grub with this:
>
> http://linuxgrrl.com/temp/grub2-f17/grub
>
> It should work then. Make backups though in case i screwed up; messed-up
> bootloader is a pain. (If you do find yourself unable to boot, 'grub2
> install sda' on the emergency/recovery command line prompt should fix
> it.)
>
> ~m

What say I test this on f16? Should I stop?

twohot

Máirín Duffy 05-10-2012 05:18 PM

Grub2 theme for Fedora 17

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 18:14 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:

> What say I test this on f16? Should I stop?

The latest F17 test candidate has (or will have) a different (newer)
version of grub2 so if you were to run it, it would be to check it out,
not for testing purposes I think since you'd have to run on F17 to help
with testing.

There is a bit of risk in using it as it changes your grub config file
which can potentially make your system unbootable. That being said, it
worked fine for me on my F17 beta system so there shouldn't be a
problem, but if you want to be 110% safe I'd advise just waiting for the
test candidate to come out to take a look.

Hope that makes sense...

~m