-   -   Fedora Card Designs (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/664829-fedora-card-designs.html)

Stephen John Smoogen 05-09-2012 05:36 PM

Fedora Card Designs

On 9 May 2012 11:12, Vanessa Kerr <kerrvg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Team!
> I'm Mo Duffy's intern and I've been working on some Fedora "baseball cards"
> showing the
> different jobs that people can contribute to the team. I had some trouble
> thinking of some
> strengths and weaknesses and stuff like that for each character. It would be
> great if I could
> get some feedback and suggestions for the final product!
> *attached I should have a SVG and PNG file
> Thanks,
> Vanessa

The weaknesses and such are meant to be funny ha-ha I think.. so

System Administrator
Strengths: Can fix an OS problem before you find it.
Weakness: May find computers more interesting than people.

Web Designer
Strengths: Able to upgrade HTML1 to HTML5 in a single bound
Weakness: Tends to end every sentence with </> brackets.

Translator:
Strengths Can express your writing in 8 different languages
Weakness May switch languages mid sentence

OS Developer:
Strengths: Can find a programming bug in record time.
Weakness: May wonder why the Moon is on fire during the day.

Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." Â*—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

"S.Kemter" 05-09-2012 05:42 PM

Fedora Card Designs

Hi Vanessa,

> I'm Mo Duffy's intern and I've been working on some Fedora "baseball cards"
> showing the
> different jobs that people can contribute to the team. I had some trouble
> thinking of some
> strengths and weaknesses and stuff like that for each character. It would
> be great if I could
> get some feedback and suggestions for the final product!
> *attached I should have a SVG and PNG file
> Thanks,
> Vanessa

uups, http://gnokii.fedorapeople.org/character.svg ;) Maybe that helps

br gnokii

Onyeibo Oku 05-09-2012 05:42 PM

Fedora Card Designs

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 11:36 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 9 May 2012 11:12, Vanessa Kerr <kerrvg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Team!
> > I'm Mo Duffy's intern and I've been working on some Fedora "baseball cards"
> > showing the
> > different jobs that people can contribute to the team. I had some trouble
> > thinking of some
> > strengths and weaknesses and stuff like that for each character. It would be
> > great if I could
> > get some feedback and suggestions for the final product!
> > *attached I should have a SVG and PNG file
> > Thanks,
> > Vanessa
>
> The weaknesses and such are meant to be funny ha-ha I think.. so
>
> System Administrator
> Strengths: Can fix an OS problem before you find it.
> Weakness: May find computers more interesting than people.
>
> Web Designer
> Strengths: Able to upgrade HTML1 to HTML5 in a single bound
> Weakness: Tends to end every sentence with </> brackets.
>
> Translator:
> Strengths Can express your writing in 8 different languages
> Weakness May switch languages mid sentence
>
> OS Developer:
> Strengths: Can find a programming bug in record time.
> Weakness: May wonder why the Moon is on fire during the day.

H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S!!!!!

twohot

Luya Tshimbalanga 05-09-2012 07:44 PM

Fedora Card Designs

The weaknesses and such are meant to be funny ha-ha I think.. so

System Administrator
Strengths: Can fix an OS problem before you find it.
Weakness: May find computers more interesting than people.

Web Designer
Strengths: Able to upgrade HTML1 to HTML5 in a single bound
Weakness: Tends to end every sentence with</> brackets.

Translator:
Strengths Can express your writing in 8 different languages
Weakness May switch languages mid sentence

OS Developer:
Strengths: Can find a programming bug in record time.
Weakness: May wonder why the Moon is on fire during the day.

That makes the quote du jour. =)

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic& Web Designer

Máirín Duffy 05-10-2012 05:10 PM

Fedora Card Designs

Hey Vanessa,

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 13:12 -0400, Vanessa Kerr wrote:
> Hi Team!
> I'm Mo Duffy's intern and I've been working on some Fedora "baseball
> cards" showing the
> different jobs that people can contribute to the team. I had some
> trouble thinking of some
> strengths and weaknesses and stuff like that for each character. It
> would be great if I could
> get some feedback and suggestions for the final product!
> *attached I should have a SVG and PNG file

So this is great work! Here's a few suggestions:

- I think Smooge's suggestions for the strengths and weaknesses are
funny and make sense and would be good to integrate.

- The cards need a front design too - these designs look like they are
good for the back because they have all the details about the character.
You could use gnokii's characters
(http://gnokii.fedorapeople.org/character.svg ) for the front side so
each job has some diversity - I think some of your characters that are
female are male in gnokii's set and vice-versa.

- Once the front design is done, I think it would be worthwhile to
format the cards for printing so we can have some produced. I found this
website with a custom trading card printing template:

http://www.mytradingcards.com/how-ready-to-print.aspx

Your SVG is very close (looks like it's 2.4 x 3.4 in your SVG, I think
2.4 x 3.5 is the final card size after cropping.) You'll need at least a
1/4 inch trim as well: to add it, you can just widen the card's blue
background half an inch wider and taller to accommodate - so that the
final design for each card is 2.75 inches x 3.75 inches. (Let me know if
you need help with this)

That vendor (mytradingcards.com) looks pretty reasonable, so I think it
would be a good idea to position the final designs in their template the
way we did with the Red Hat sticker project we've been working on. The
AI template download there is broken so I put together an Inkscape
template using the PSD downloads that you can use:

http://linuxgrrl.com/temp/tradingcards/TradingCard-Portrait_Template.svg

What do you think?

~m