-   -   F17 Beta Wallpaper touchups (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/657240-f17-beta-wallpaper-touchups.html)

Máirín Duffy 04-18-2012 02:47 PM

F17 Beta Wallpaper touchups

Hi Alexander,

(I'm cc'ing the design team for reference)

I think so far the F17 wallpaper has been a real hit. We've gotten a lot
of positive comments about it. Thank you so much for doing such a great
job on it.

Matthew Garrett is doing Macbook Air testing of Fedora 17, and he
noticed even though the wallpaper looks great (maybe just a tiny bit of
banding) on most computers, on the Macbook Air it shows strange
stairstep banding. I took a photo of it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mairin/7090541057/

I'm going to try to adjust the image a bit to try to eliminate this
artifact and to dither the banding so the image appears a bit smoother.
Do you have any ideas / suggestions for updating the wallpaper further
for final? I was thinking about playing around with some of the
fireworks effects since I'm going to be poking at it anyway. Let me know
what you think. I'll follow up with a post of what I come up with.

~m

Máirín Duffy 04-18-2012 02:55 PM

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 10:47 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I'm going to try to adjust the image a bit to try to eliminate this
> artifact and to dither the banding so the image appears a bit smoother.

Hehe, I feel silly emailing again so soon. I opened up the latest source
in your Fedora people directory but it doesn't seem to match the latest
wallpaper. Do you have the source for the latest available to post?

This is the latest source I could find:
http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v2/source/

Thanks,
~m

Elad Alfassa 04-18-2012 03:18 PM

F17 Beta Wallpaper touchups

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 10:47 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> I'm going to try to adjust the image a bit to try to eliminate this

> artifact and to dither the banding so the image appears a bit smoother.

Hehe, I feel silly emailing again so soon. I opened up the latest source

in your Fedora people directory but it doesn't seem to match the latest

wallpaper. Do you have the source for the latest available to post?

This is the latest source I could find:

http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v2/source/

Thanks,

~m

-Elad Alfassa.

Máirín Duffy 04-18-2012 04:14 PM

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 10:55 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 10:47 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > I'm going to try to adjust the image a bit to try to eliminate this
> > artifact and to dither the banding so the image appears a bit smoother.
>
> Hehe, I feel silly emailing again so soon. I opened up the latest source
> in your Fedora people directory but it doesn't seem to match the latest
> wallpaper. Do you have the source for the latest available to post?
>
> This is the latest source I could find:
> http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v2/source/

Here's what I came up with for a dithered / non-banding background:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/art/f17/post-beta/

If you can provide the source for v3 then I can put them together.

~m

Kris Thomsen 04-18-2012 05:17 PM

F17 Beta Wallpaper touchups

I like the one with more dither most - but can you try to tone it just a notch down? Where is the fireworks gone? :)

// Kris

Máirín Duffy 04-18-2012 05:25 PM

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 19:17 +0200, Kris Thomsen wrote:
> I like the one with more dither most - but can you try to tone it just
> a notch down? Where is the fireworks gone? :)

I made the more dither one to troubleshoot the issue, it appears to be
partially an issue with one of the video drivers.

The fireworks aren't there because I don't have the sources for them;
see the other posts to the thread :)

~m

Kris Thomsen 04-18-2012 05:30 PM

Den 18. apr. 2012 19.25 skrev Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 19:17 +0200, Kris Thomsen wrote:

> I like the one with more dither most - but can you try to tone it just

> a notch down? Where is the fireworks gone? :)

I made the more dither one to troubleshoot the issue, it appears to be

partially an issue with one of the video drivers.

I see some banding too and it's really a shame. It's really beautiful :)

The fireworks aren't there because I don't have the sources for them;

see the other posts to the thread :)

Yeah, I saw that after I wrote ;)

~m

KĂ©vin Raymond 04-18-2012 05:32 PM

F17 Beta Wallpaper touchups

> The fireworks aren't there because I don't have the sources for them;
> see the other posts to the thread :)
>
> ~m

What!!Â*I am using a closed source wallpaper?!!!
/me remove this awesome wallpaper right away!

:p

I am keeping an eye on this thread, as I wait the wallpaper to be
final before doing all screenshots for our websites…

--
KĂ©vin Raymond
(shaiton)

Alexander Smirnov 04-18-2012 09:26 PM

F17 Beta Wallpaper touchups

Hi Máirín and all!

Oops, I forgot :( to upload source v3 [1]. New version [2] with minimal changes, I tried to remove this effect.

[1] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v3/
[2] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v3/F17-fireworks-night-v3-1.png

Thanks,
Alexander.

Máirín Duffy 04-18-2012 09:31 PM

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 01:26 +0400, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> Oops, I forgot :( to upload source v3 [1]. New version [2] with
> minimal changes, I tried to remove this effect.
>
> [1] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v3/
> [2] -
> http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v3/F17-fireworks-night-v3-1.png

You rock Alexander, thanks!!!!