Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Nicole Harris

Default Introduction: Nicole Harris

Hi,

My name is Nicole Harris - I'm a web designer based in Melbourne, Australia.

I've been using linux for a while now and am a recent convert to Fedora (previously I used ubuntu).

I'd love to get involved - I'm specifically interested in learning more about UX design and participating in these types of projects.

Some examples of my work:

www.roi.com.au (this is my workplace - i redesigned their website last year, since then someone else has taken over the project, but my initial design is still *pretty much* there)

www.sanremoballroom.com.au
www.janetwolf.com.au (one of my really early designs...)

By day I now focus on conversion based solutions for online marketing campaigns - this involves a/b and multivariate split testing.

By night I am designing a couple of web apps (too early to show you any examples...!) with my partner who is a web developer.

skills:
Gimp, Inkscape
HTML, CSS, Wordpress, Joomla
Jquery (beginner)

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty!

Cheers,
NIcole

Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Nicole!

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 07:31 +1000, Nicole Harris wrote:
> My name is Nicole Harris - I'm a web designer based in Melbourne,
> Australia. I've been using linux for a while now and am a recent
> convert to Fedora (previously I used ubuntu).

It's a pleasure to meet you; I'm so excited to see your interest in our
team!

> I'd love to get involved - I'm specifically interested in learning
> more about UX design and participating in these types of projects.
>

> Some examples of my work:
>
> www.roi.com.au (this is my workplace - i redesigned their website last
> year, since then someone else has taken over the project, but my
> initial design is still *pretty much* there)
> www.sanremoballroom.com.au
> www.janetwolf.com.au (one of my really early designs...)

Very impressive portfolio! Fantastic visual design on all of these.

> By day I now focus on conversion based solutions for online marketing
> campaigns - this involves a/b and multivariate split testing.
>
> By night I am designing a couple of web apps (too early to show you
> any examples...!) with my partner who is a web developer.
>
> skills:
> Gimp, Inkscape
> HTML, CSS, Wordpress, Joomla
> Jquery (beginner)
>
> Looking forward to getting my hands dirty!

Awesome! I'm so glad to see you have so much open source tool
experience

Our normal process for joining the team is that we ask new recruits to
take on a minor ticket in our tracking system as sort of
practical/applied introduction to how the Fedora community works. You
end up making connections and learning the Fedora infrastructure through
that which powers you to taking on bigger projects.

I don't know if the design ticket has been filed yet, but the Fedora
infrastructure team (#fedora-admin on irc.freenode.net) yesterday was
talking about needing a Fedora skin for a stickynotes web app they're
looking to deploy. A test instance of it is available at:

http://dcr226.co.uk/paste/sticky-notes

We'd want, at a minimum, for the design/template to match our newer
Fedora infrastructure templates such as for Fedora packages (I did the
skin for this one):

https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/inkscape

Or Koji, our build system (Ryan Lerch, who is also based in Australia at
the moment, did the skin for this):

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/

Let me know if this seems like an intro project you'd like to take on.
Alternatively we could find something more UX-centric for you to take on
since you have strong interest and ability in UX stuff. We do have a few
pending usability assessments and mockup requests in the ticket system.
Our list of open tickets is here:

https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/report/1?asc=1&page=1

Anyway, I don't want to overload you with information; if the
sticky-notes project looks interesting let me know and I can get a
ticket for it assigned to you, otherwise let's chat more about potential
UX projects?

~m

Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Nicole Harris

Hi Máirín,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The sticky-notes piece sounds like a good place to start - hook me up and I will see how it goes!

Thanks,

Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Nicole Harris

Hi Guys,

Haven't heard anything on the below: should I shelve it and move onto an open ticket?* Máirín I'd be interested in discussing anything UI related :-)

Cheers,
Nicole

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Nicole,

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 18:55 +1000, Nicole Harris wrote:
> Haven't heard anything on the below: should I shelve it and move onto
> an open ticket? Máirín I'd be interested in discussing anything UI
> related :-)

Sorry about that, the past few days have gotten out-of-hand for me.

I created a ticket for the Sticky Notes skinning work:
https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/228

Do you have a Fedora account? I put 'nicole' in as the ticket owner now
because I don't know what your account is. If you don't have an account,
the steps to create one are listed here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Account_System/NewAccount

Let me know what your account name is after you create it and I can
assign it properly to the ticket so you'll get email updates on the
ticket, etc.

~m

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Nicole Harris

Hi Máirín,

My account is nicoleharris

Thanks,
Nicole

P.s: should i be responding to the whole group here?? :-)