-   -   Introduction: Nicole Harris (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/655081-introduction-nicole-harris.html)

Nicole Harris 04-11-2012 09:31 PM

Introduction: Nicole Harris

Hi,

My name is Nicole Harris - I'm a web designer based in Melbourne, Australia.

I've been using linux for a while now and am a recent convert to Fedora (previously I used ubuntu).

I'd love to get involved - I'm specifically interested in learning more about UX design and participating in these types of projects.

Some examples of my work:

www.roi.com.au (this is my workplace - i redesigned their website last year, since then someone else has taken over the project, but my initial design is still *pretty much* there)

www.sanremoballroom.com.au
www.janetwolf.com.au (one of my really early designs...)

By day I now focus on conversion based solutions for online marketing campaigns - this involves a/b and multivariate split testing.

By night I am designing a couple of web apps (too early to show you any examples...!) with my partner who is a web developer.

skills:
Gimp, Inkscape
HTML, CSS, Wordpress, Joomla
Jquery (beginner)

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty!

Cheers,
NIcole

Máirín Duffy 04-11-2012 10:15 PM

Introduction: Nicole Harris

Hi Nicole!

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 07:31 +1000, Nicole Harris wrote:
> My name is Nicole Harris - I'm a web designer based in Melbourne,
> Australia. I've been using linux for a while now and am a recent
> convert to Fedora (previously I used ubuntu).

It's a pleasure to meet you; I'm so excited to see your interest in our
team!

> I'd love to get involved - I'm specifically interested in learning
> more about UX design and participating in these types of projects.
>

> Some examples of my work:
>
> www.roi.com.au (this is my workplace - i redesigned their website last
> year, since then someone else has taken over the project, but my
> initial design is still *pretty much* there)
> www.sanremoballroom.com.au
> www.janetwolf.com.au (one of my really early designs...)

Very impressive portfolio! Fantastic visual design on all of these.

> By day I now focus on conversion based solutions for online marketing
> campaigns - this involves a/b and multivariate split testing.
>
> By night I am designing a couple of web apps (too early to show you
> any examples...!) with my partner who is a web developer.
>
> skills:
> Gimp, Inkscape
> HTML, CSS, Wordpress, Joomla
> Jquery (beginner)
>
> Looking forward to getting my hands dirty!

Awesome! I'm so glad to see you have so much open source tool
experience :)

Our normal process for joining the team is that we ask new recruits to
take on a minor ticket in our tracking system as sort of
practical/applied introduction to how the Fedora community works. You
end up making connections and learning the Fedora infrastructure through
that which powers you to taking on bigger projects.

I don't know if the design ticket has been filed yet, but the Fedora
infrastructure team (#fedora-admin on irc.freenode.net) yesterday was
talking about needing a Fedora skin for a stickynotes web app they're
looking to deploy. A test instance of it is available at:

http://dcr226.co.uk/paste/sticky-notes

We'd want, at a minimum, for the design/template to match our newer
Fedora infrastructure templates such as for Fedora packages (I did the
skin for this one):

https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/inkscape

Or Koji, our build system (Ryan Lerch, who is also based in Australia at
the moment, did the skin for this):

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/

Let me know if this seems like an intro project you'd like to take on.
Alternatively we could find something more UX-centric for you to take on
since you have strong interest and ability in UX stuff. We do have a few
pending usability assessments and mockup requests in the ticket system.
Our list of open tickets is here:

https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/report/1?asc=1&page=1

Anyway, I don't want to overload you with information; if the
sticky-notes project looks interesting let me know and I can get a
ticket for it assigned to you, otherwise let's chat more about potential
UX projects?

~m

Nicole Harris 04-12-2012 09:18 AM

Introduction: Nicole Harris

Hi Máirín,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The sticky-notes piece sounds like a good place to start - hook me up and I will see how it goes!

Thanks,

Nicole Harris 04-18-2012 08:55 AM

Introduction: Nicole Harris

Hi Guys,

Haven't heard anything on the below: should I shelve it and move onto an open ticket?* Máirín I'd be interested in discussing anything UI related :-)

Cheers,
Nicole

Máirín Duffy 04-18-2012 02:16 PM

Introduction: Nicole Harris

Hi Nicole,

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 18:55 +1000, Nicole Harris wrote:
> Haven't heard anything on the below: should I shelve it and move onto
> an open ticket? Máirín I'd be interested in discussing anything UI
> related :-)

Sorry about that, the past few days have gotten out-of-hand for me.

I created a ticket for the Sticky Notes skinning work:
https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/228

Do you have a Fedora account? I put 'nicole' in as the ticket owner now
because I don't know what your account is. If you don't have an account,
the steps to create one are listed here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Account_System/NewAccount

Let me know what your account name is after you create it and I can
assign it properly to the ticket so you'll get email updates on the
ticket, etc.

~m

Nicole Harris 04-18-2012 09:13 PM

Introduction: Nicole Harris

Hi Máirín,

My account is nicoleharris

Thanks,
Nicole

P.s: should i be responding to the whole group here?? :-)