Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Organizing our swag designs a little better

Hi folks,

I think it would be good if we could make it easier for ambassadors to
order swag. Right now, our assets are kind of all over the place. I put
together a first stab at trying to organize some designs we've used
before:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Useruffy/brandstuff

Do you see any designs that are missing that we should have here? Do you
have any ideas for new designs we could make that would be useful to
ambassadors? Let's brainstorm and see what else might be useful?

Some points:

- These are for materials ambassadors order to be printed. Let's not
worry about graphics or stuff you can print on a home printer, because I
don't think those are as much as a problem for ambassadors.

- Since they are for print, we'll need to make CMYK, embedded font /
fonts-to-paths, print-ready PDFs available for the ambassadors to grab
and send off to their vendors. (Common problems we've had with designs
in the past is RGB instead of CMYK colors, and incorrect or old fonts)

- Each design might have several different print files. For example, A-2
has been printed on both Fedora pens and Fedora lanyards, and I think
even tablecloths. Since different swag are different sizes, we'll need
different print-ready artwork files - one per application - even if the
design is basically the same.

- Any designs that use MgModata (besides the FUDcon logotype) should use
Comfortaa now, I updated the ones I could.

I'm going to send the ambassadors a similar email to see if what is here
so far works and to see if there is anything else they think they might
need. Maybe a blog post too

Thanks,
~m

Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Robyn Bergeron

[...]

+487, excellent excellent idea.

A few additional thoughts:

* Some info on why RGB is different vs. CMYK, and how to talk to your
vendor about this to verify what they are using without feeling overwhelmed.

* Revisit the tri-fold flyers or any other flyers that ambassadors give
out, see if we can work with marketing to make them more up-to-date, or
at least have a simple, nice template for people to use, and make sure
that we have them sized for printing in various parts of the world,
since not everyone uses the same type of paper.

Will keep thinking on this... I'm sure I may have other ideas.

Thanks for tackling this, Mo!

-Robyn

Thanks,
~m