Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Kévin Raymond

Default Redesigning start.fpo (again)

> Design added, they always have some nice input

Second fail… Once more I were not registered with the right address.
Please @design, read there:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2012-March/019300.html

(time to sleep, really)

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Mirn Duffy

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 00:37 +0100, Kvin Raymond wrote:
> - The "Latest Fedora Planet posts" is not useful IMHO: there are too
> much entries in the Planet, we miss some of them, therefore we used to
> connect to planet.fpo to check the planet, we don't really read this
> feed. Are you?

I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
Fedora.

So some folks seem to be using it.

~m

Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Mirn Duffy

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 18:55 -0500, Mirn Duffy wrote:
> I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
> start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
> high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
> was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
> Fedora.

(Also, just to make it clear, I am totally cool with killing it if it
makes sense. Just wanted to point out it does seem to be actively used.)

~m

Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail

some suggestion that i kept getting from local foss dudes:

* turn start.fp.o to a welcome page that help users to get started with fedora
** show latest/popular apps, maybe with a packagekit .catalog file
links which will make it easy for user to install the app
** show something like "new to fedora?, click here to learn" -> which
will point user to a site with videos, and tutorials
** show something like "have problems? ask here" -> point to ask.fp.o

2012/3/6 Mirn Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 00:37 +0100, Kvin Raymond wrote:
>> - The "Latest Fedora Planet posts" is not useful IMHO: there are too
>> much entries in the Planet, we miss some of them, therefore we used to
>> connect to planet.fpo to check the planet, we don't really read this
>> feed. Are you?
>
> I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
> start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
> high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
> was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
> Fedora.
>
> So some folks seem to be using it.
>
> ~m

http://www.inigo-tech.com
http://blog.kagesenshi.org
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866* 5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Kévin Raymond

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail
<kagesenshi.87@gmail.com> wrote:
> some suggestion that i kept getting from local foss dudes:
>
> * turn start.fp.o to a welcome page that help users to get started with fedora
> ** show latest/popular apps, maybe with a packagekit .catalog file
> links which will make it easy for user to install the app
There would probably be an other app for that. Not sure.

> ** show something like "new to fedora?, click here to learn" -> which
> will point user to a site with videos, and tutorials
Do you really want to see that everytime you open a new tab?

> ** show something like "have problems? ask here" -> point to ask.fp.o
This tell me that we are susceptible to have problems… Are we?*

That will clearly be a noob start page
We spoke about contributor/end user start page. The redesign could
take lot of time/development to have something to fit all.

What I propose is first some small changes, but if someone could came
with a brilliant idea/mockup…

> 2012/3/6 Máir*n Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
>>
>> I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
>> start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
>> high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
>> was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
>> Fedora.
>>
>> So some folks seem to be using it.

Nice Hence this is not wrong actually.
But if we keep that, we could remove the date… It's always in an 24h
slot, not really useful I think

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Kévin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail
> <kagesenshi.87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> some suggestion that i kept getting from local foss dudes:
>>
>> * turn start.fp.o to a welcome page that help users to get started with fedora
>> ** show latest/popular apps, maybe with a packagekit .catalog file
>> links which will make it easy for user to install the app
> There would probably be an other app for that. Not sure.

or maybe, just link "looking for apps? click here" -> which
https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/ and let that deal
with with popular app/latest app listing

>> ** show something like "new to fedora?, click here to learn" -> which
>> will point user to a site with videos, and tutorials
> Do you really want to see that everytime you open a new tab?

well, i use the addressbar to search .. and new tab is almost always
from clicking a link .. and i believe advanced users are that way too.

>> ** show something like "have problems? ask here" -> point to ask.fp.o
> This tell me that we are susceptible to have problems… Are we?*

haha XD .. ok "looking for help? ask here" maybe

> That will clearly be a noob start page

nothing wrong with that right? :-) .. it'll help new people to get
started with Fedora.. and maybe add a link with "want to contribute?,
click here" -> point to join.fp.o

> We spoke about contributor/end user start page. The redesign could
> take lot of time/development to have something to fit all.

end user can be new users