-   -   Redesigning start.fpo (again) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/641282-redesigning-start-fpo-again.html)

Kévin Raymond 03-05-2012 10:42 PM

Redesigning start.fpo (again)

> Design added, they always have some nice input :D

Second fail… Once more I were not registered with the right address.
Please @design, read there:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2012-March/019300.html

(time to sleep, really)

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Mirn Duffy 03-05-2012 10:55 PM

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 00:37 +0100, Kvin Raymond wrote:
> - The "Latest Fedora Planet posts" is not useful IMHO: there are too
> much entries in the Planet, we miss some of them, therefore we used to
> connect to planet.fpo to check the planet, we don't really read this
> feed. Are you?

I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
Fedora.

So some folks seem to be using it.

~m

Mirn Duffy 03-05-2012 10:56 PM

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 18:55 -0500, Mirn Duffy wrote:
> I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
> start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
> high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
> was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
> Fedora.

(Also, just to make it clear, I am totally cool with killing it if it
makes sense. Just wanted to point out it does seem to be actively used.)

~m

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail 03-05-2012 10:58 PM

Redesigning start.fpo (again)

some suggestion that i kept getting from local foss dudes:

* turn start.fp.o to a welcome page that help users to get started with fedora
** show latest/popular apps, maybe with a packagekit .catalog file
links which will make it easy for user to install the app
** show something like "new to fedora?, click here to learn" -> which
will point user to a site with videos, and tutorials
** show something like "have problems? ask here" -> point to ask.fp.o

2012/3/6 Mirn Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 00:37 +0100, Kvin Raymond wrote:
>> - The "Latest Fedora Planet posts" is not useful IMHO: there are too
>> much entries in the Planet, we miss some of them, therefore we used to
>> connect to planet.fpo to check the planet, we don't really read this
>> feed. Are you?
>
> I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
> start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
> high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
> was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
> Fedora.
>
> So some folks seem to be using it.
>
> ~m

http://www.inigo-tech.com
http://blog.kagesenshi.org
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866* 5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

Kévin Raymond 03-05-2012 11:06 PM

Redesigning start.fpo (again)

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail
<kagesenshi.87@gmail.com> wrote:
> some suggestion that i kept getting from local foss dudes:
>
> * turn start.fp.o to a welcome page that help users to get started with fedora
> ** show latest/popular apps, maybe with a packagekit .catalog file
> links which will make it easy for user to install the app
There would probably be an other app for that. Not sure.

> ** show something like "new to fedora?, click here to learn" -> which
> will point user to a site with videos, and tutorials
Do you really want to see that everytime you open a new tab?

> ** show something like "have problems? ask here" -> point to ask.fp.o
This tell me that we are susceptible to have problems… Are we?*:)

That will clearly be a noob start page :)
We spoke about contributor/end user start page. The redesign could
take lot of time/development to have something to fit all.

What I propose is first some small changes, but if someone could came
with a brilliant idea/mockup…

> 2012/3/6 Máir*n Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
>>
>> I actually get a decent amount of referrals to my blog through
>> start.fpo. I can dig through my stats and get some numbers... pretty
>> high though. Almost as many referrals as I got from planet GNOME when i
>> was still on there, and typically about the same or more than planet
>> Fedora.
>>
>> So some folks seem to be using it.

Nice :) Hence this is not wrong actually.
But if we keep that, we could remove the date… It's always in an 24h
slot, not really useful I think

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail 03-05-2012 11:18 PM

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Kévin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail
> <kagesenshi.87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> some suggestion that i kept getting from local foss dudes:
>>
>> * turn start.fp.o to a welcome page that help users to get started with fedora
>> ** show latest/popular apps, maybe with a packagekit .catalog file
>> links which will make it easy for user to install the app
> There would probably be an other app for that. Not sure.

or maybe, just link "looking for apps? click here" -> which
https://community.dev.fedoraproject.org/packages/ and let that deal
with with popular app/latest app listing

>> ** show something like "new to fedora?, click here to learn" -> which
>> will point user to a site with videos, and tutorials
> Do you really want to see that everytime you open a new tab?

well, i use the addressbar to search .. and new tab is almost always
from clicking a link .. and i believe advanced users are that way too.

>> ** show something like "have problems? ask here" -> point to ask.fp.o
> This tell me that we are susceptible to have problems… Are we?*:)

haha XD .. ok "looking for help? ask here" maybe

> That will clearly be a noob start page :)

nothing wrong with that right? :-) .. it'll help new people to get
started with Fedora.. and maybe add a link with "want to contribute?,
click here" -> point to join.fp.o

> We spoke about contributor/end user start page. The redesign could
> take lot of time/development to have something to fit all.

end user can be new users :)