-   -   Request Approval: Slight Colour Alteration for Remix Logo (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/631699-request-approval-slight-colour-alteration-remix-logo.html)

Máirín Duffy 02-11-2012 04:50 PM

Request Approval: Slight Colour Alteration for Remix Logo

Hi Chris,

On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 12:17 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
> Hi Máirín -- I was following the information on the wiki page, which
> says "If you need to use colors other than these, please contact the
> Feddora Design Team".

On this page, yes:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Secondary_trademark_usage_guidelines

It says 'Fedora Artwork team' though, not Design team, which I think
gives a hint at its age (I put together that image around the Fedora 7
timeframe....) Since that page is owned by legal, I don't know its
current status and whether or not it still applies. (It doesn't seem to
have been changed since it was migrated from the old Moinmoin wiki) I
can tell you Pam has been working on a new draft of all trademark
guidelines including for the Remix mark, and that is available here in
its current draft status:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pchestek/TMGuidelinesDraft

> If this is not the right procedure, can we get the image on the wiki
> updated? (that text is part of an image).

Those guidelines were overhauled but the updates are pending legal
approval (see notice on the top of
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines ). That wiki page is
the most recent version of guidelines - the changes have been made
(mostly back in July), but haven't been made official yet because they
are pending legal approval. The new guidelines *don't* offer up the
possibility for custom colors as the original ones did, and the
intention there was to keep the remix colors consistent with the four
foundations and the secondary color palette that is widely used across
Fedora artwork. (I don't think anyone actually ended up using custom
colors anyway.)

I know it's not ideal to have conflicting guidelines up but I don't
really know what I can do to change that without legal guidance.

If the colors are that close, I would advise keeping life simple and
just using the magenta color the guidelines recommend since it's
unlikely most folks will be able to discern the difference anyway.

~m

Chris Tyler 02-11-2012 06:23 PM

On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 12:50 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 12:17 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
> > Hi Máirín -- I was following the information on the wiki page, which
> > says "If you need to use colors other than these, please contact the
> > Feddora Design Team".
>
> On this page, yes:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Secondary_trademark_usage_guidelines
>
> It says 'Fedora Artwork team' though, not Design team, which I think
> gives a hint at its age (I put together that image around the Fedora 7
> timeframe....) Since that page is owned by legal, I don't know its
> current status and whether or not it still applies. (It doesn't seem to
> have been changed since it was migrated from the old Moinmoin wiki) I
> can tell you Pam has been working on a new draft of all trademark
> guidelines including for the Remix mark, and that is available here in
> its current draft status:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pchestek/TMGuidelinesDraft
> >
> > If this is not the right procedure, can we get the image on the wiki
> > updated? (that text is part of an image).
>
> Those guidelines were overhauled but the updates are pending legal
> approval (see notice on the top of
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines ). That wiki page is
> the most recent version of guidelines - the changes have been made
> (mostly back in July), but haven't been made official yet because they
> are pending legal approval. The new guidelines *don't* offer up the
> possibility for custom colors as the original ones did, and the
> intention there was to keep the remix colors consistent with the four
> foundations and the secondary color palette that is widely used across
> Fedora artwork. (I don't think anyone actually ended up using custom
> colors anyway.)
>
> I know it's not ideal to have conflicting guidelines up but I don't
> really know what I can do to change that without legal guidance.
>
> If the colors are that close, I would advise keeping life simple and
> just using the magenta color the guidelines recommend since it's
> unlikely most folks will be able to discern the difference anyway.
>
> ~m

Thanks, Máirín.

-Chris

Máirín Duffy 02-13-2012 03:12 PM

On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 11:08 -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
> I'd like approval to slightly vary the lozenge colour for the Remix Logo
> (secondary mark) for the Raspberry Pi project. Ticket 215 filed at:
> https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/215

You've got the okay from legal, so it's all good.

~m