Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Marķa Leandro

Default Teaching fedora through videos

Hello!
Everyday new users come asking for help and learn about FOSS, and our way to help them is through Fedora. We know that there are a LOT of tutorial on internet, but most of them are on *text* format and yet, people love to see things on *video*. (even more if they are multilanguage)

Probably, there is a huge list of videos already on internet, but they aren't organized, so our new contributor*Nitesh Narayan Lal [1] from India would like to come up with some web-based site where people can easily find them (or at least where we can recomend a list of videos that might be useful for new contributors)

Talking with Mark Terranova at FUDCon Blacksburg, we got this idea of make a simple *video join page* where we will have a small list of videos where people can easily understand and complete the different steps that must be followed to be part of Fedora, or any specific group.*Is easier for a contributor to record a tutorial, lets say, 10min, instead spend 30min writing it.

Nitesh has started with some easy tutorials (some that he has done and some collected) and we would love that, if any of you are interested on this idea, please, join us next thursday Feb-02 at 1530UTC [2] on #Fedora-Design , so we can work on this idea and bring even more knowledge to our users/contributors.

[1]*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Niteshnarayan
[2]*http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2012&month=02&day=02&hour=15&m in=30&sec=0

--
tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro

LinuxUser= 440285* GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56

Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Marķa Leandro

Hi Sadin!
Not yet... but the idea is to make one at our meeting, also to make a small schedule and assign some task so this project can go foward.
If you have any specific ideas for the website, I really would love to get them, I'm sure there is a lot of creativity out there that will make this project just ROX

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Marķa Leandro

I think won't be a bad idea at all to use drupal. Would recomend to keep in touch with Insight team (even if they are focus on a different task right now), but trying to do something that can be merged at some point.

I would love to see Fedora websites at some point completely integrated... might be ambicious... bt anything is imposible. Just lets keep pushing.
+1 for that

Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Dave Crossland

2012/1/31 Marķa Leandro <tatica@fedoraproject.org>:

> Is easier for a contributor to record a tutorial, lets say, 10min, instead
> spend 30min writing it.

Making screencasts using only free sofware seems very hard compared to
http://silverbackapp.com etc

I hired Felipe Sanches to make a truly convenient GNOME Screencast
tool - http://understandingfonts.com/blog/2011/10/announcing-gnome-screencast/
- but he has stalled out on the project and I doubt he will complete
it.

Felipe did some great R&D on how to make a high performance screen
recording tool that could be easily extended with keypress and mouse
click visualisations, and a concurrent web cam recording so that the
user can be recorded talking through what they are doing - this is
intended for doing remote UX testing but also works very well for the
demos Marķa is suggesting.

If anyone is interested, or knows anyone else who might be interested,
in getting the project working, please be in touch :-)

Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Zachary Snyder

"I would love to see Fedora websites at some point completely integrated" a very gruelling task indeed :/ the sites are connected though the people that use the OS and maintain/use them if nothing else

Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Swapnil Bhartiya

[...]

I am good at video/audio editing and would like to help with the project.

Few example of my work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25ZLqrmLPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T52dA-aLaxM

Swapnil Bhartiya
editor
Muktware.com

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Niteshnarayan

[2]
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2012&month=02&day=02&hour=15&m in=30&sec=0
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2012&month=02&day=02&hour=15&m in=30&sec=0>

--
tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org <http://www.tatica.org/>
LinuxUser= 440285 GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56

Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 05:45:14PM -0430, Marķa Leandro wrote:
> I think won't be a bad idea at all to use drupal. Would recomend to keep in
> touch with Insight team (even if they are focus on a different task right
> now), but trying to do something that can be merged at some point.
>
> I would love to see Fedora websites at some point completely integrated...
> might be ambicious... bt anything is imposible. Just lets keep pushing.
>
> +1 for that

If you're interested in the Insight team's plans and progress, you can
find all the starting information here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight

I know the team would be thrilled to have some other web developers
with Drupal skills involved. Perhaps you'd be interested in helping
with the calendar tasks underway now, and at the same time explore
what else the site might grow to do in the future?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Marķa Leandro

This is a reminder - Today is our meeting:
15:30 UTC#Fedora-Design
To find your local time and date, please check:*http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2012&month=02&day=02&hour=15&m in=30&sec=0

See ya in a couple of hours!