Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Klaatu

Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

Less is more, IMHO. I'd keep it black. That seems appropriately stark.

-klaatu

Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:46:34PM -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:40:25PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > - Jared, can you write the statement with the broad header of 'Interent
> > Censorship', mentioning *both* SOPA and PIPA since both are threats?
>
> 'Stop Internet Censorship' or other such things would be better IMHO.
>
> > - keep it completely black or a black gradient
>
> This is my preference.
>
> > - (okay this is silly) have an artsy-looking field of hot dog-less
> > buns
>
> This is my silly preference.

FWIW, +1 Ian. I like the simple idea the best. Saying and displaying
as little as possible hits home the hardest IMHO.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Kevin Fenzi

As another note...

can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?

I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
well?

kevin

Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:28 -0500, David Nalley wrote:
> The board opted not to do a full blackout, though that was certainly
> one of the considerations.

Time is short and we need some text ASAP. Can someone on the Board
provide some text for the ticker and banner? (screenshot attached)

~m

p.s.

If I don't get any text in time, I am happy to write & use lyrics for a
song called 'No Hot Dog, No Cry'...

Said I remember when we used to sit
In the forums on the internet
Oba, ob-serving the flamers and trolls
As they would mingle with the good people we meet
Good friends we have had, oh good friends we've lost along the way
In this bright future you can't forget your past
So dry your mustard I say

No hot dog, no cry
No hot dog, no cry
Oh my Little beef product, don't she'd no mustard
No hot dog, no cry

[i'll spare you more, it's almost lunch time here]

Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 11:34 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> > On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:28 -0500, David Nalley wrote:
> >> The board opted not to do a full blackout, though that was certainly
> >> one of the considerations.
> >
> > Time is short and we need some text ASAP. Can someone on the Board
> > provide some text for the ticker and banner? (screenshot attached)
>
> I may be confusing this with something else, but wasn't Jared also
> going to run the text by legal?

I tried his email yesterday; his phone and IRC today, but no response
yet

I was going to write something up myself, but I don't know if that is
possible if it has to be run through legal. I have an unrelated
conference call from 2-3 and an unrelated Red Hat customer meeting after
that so it is going to be impossible for me to do it, if it also needs
to pass through legal.

I guess we could just fall back on something much shorter than the
filler text:

"Fedora does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA and PIPA."

and have the learn more point to the american censorship website that
Ian has it pointing to in git right now?

~m

Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 22:33 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> The text the board approved wasn't specific to American censorship,
> what was approved was a generic text about censorship on the internet
> in general.

Where is the text that the board approved? I asked here on list for text
yesterday and didn't get anything, so I wrote that up.

If something that's been approved can be sent quickly then I can try to
squeeze it in, but right now the text Spot approved here on-list is
what's committed in the repo.

~m

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 23:19 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Jared was going to write up the exact text but it was to be general
> and not explicit for US law in particular. What is the exact text you
> currently have?

I could not reach him today or yesterday and I asked on this list and in
#fedora-advisory-board this morning if anyone else on the board could
come up with something.

Since I didn't get anything back, Robyn and I came up with:

"The Fedora Project does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA
and PIPA."

Spot provided legal approval for the language. You can see it in
staging, here:

http://stg.fedoraproject.org

This all happened on-list here, though. Although without the
[Design-team] in the subject so maybe the thread got split up? (my bad
for cc'ing so many lists)

~m

Old 01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 08:57 -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> My intention wasn't to put all of the text in the banner -- simply to
> link to the wiki page where people could go read the statement. Does
> that work for you?

That works if you can also give us text for the banner clickthru itself,
as well as the text you want in the ticker to accompany it.

~m

Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 03:15:30PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> As another note...
>
> can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?
>
> I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
> to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
> this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
> well?

The Board didn't vote on that exact thing at the meeting although we
discussed it. In case it matters,

+1 wiki to.

-Toshio

Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 07:41:23AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Yes, the board may have discussed that and quite heatedly but I have
> figured I should register my opinion to the board about their
> decision.
>
> I have learned from long experience that general protests about
> things that concern people don't get very far and fall apart. If you
> are going to protest make it something specific and pointed and
> something you can measure whether it was effective or not. Pretty much
> all the things that were said about last years goals.
>
> I have said my piece on this, done my specific protest, and I am
> moving on to stuff I can try to fix elsewhere.

Thanks Smooge. Without feedback, the Board cannot know what people think of
its decisions so your comments have been very appropriate.

-Toshio