Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 10:23 -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> The text for the ticker might read "Fedora's Statement on Internet Freedom".

Okay, what about the banner?

~m

Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Klaatu

The blackout banner looks great (the desaturated and mustardless beefy miracle
is particularly poignant) and is very effective. Makes me proud to be a part
of the Fedora project.

-klaatu

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 03:15:30PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > As another note...
> >
> > can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?
> >
> > I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
> > to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
> > this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
> > well?
>
> The Board didn't vote on that exact thing at the meeting although we
> discussed it. In case it matters,
>
> +1 wiki to.
>
> -Toshio
- klaatu

Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 09:58 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 08:57 -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> > My intention wasn't to put all of the text in the banner -- simply to
> > link to the wiki page where people could go read the statement. Does
> > that work for you?
>
> That works if you can also give us text for the banner clickthru itself,
> as well as the text you want in the ticker to accompany it.

Still waiting on this. Last night we linked the current text to the
statement, but it's kind of weird looking because the statement says we
have no position on specific legislation but the banner text regards
specific legislation

~m

Old 01-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:44:50PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 09:58 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 08:57 -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> > > My intention wasn't to put all of the text in the banner -- simply to
> > > link to the wiki page where people could go read the statement. Does
> > > that work for you?
> >
> > That works if you can also give us text for the banner clickthru itself,
> > as well as the text you want in the ticker to accompany it.
>
> Still waiting on this. Last night we linked the current text to the
> statement, but it's kind of weird looking because the statement says we
> have no position on specific legislation but the banner text regards
> specific legislation

I spoke with jsmith and rdieter on the #fedora-advisory-board channel.
Looks liek the Board approved the following banner at their Wednesday
meeting:

"fedora promotes internet freedom"

with links to the general statement. The meeting minutes haven't been
published yet. Since I was on vacation, I'm not sure who's dropped the ball
here.

Go ahead and update with that text.

On a side note, I've talked to jsmith about being unhappy with the
non-specificity of our statements (they're an endorsement of internet
freedom rather than a call to action for our users to actively protect adn
promite it) but I was in the minority on Sunday's Board Meeting and in the
limited time before the end of the month and the statement is no longer
highlighted on the front page and in the wiki banner, there isn't much use
in trying to effect changes. Something is better than nothing here.

-Toshio

Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 11:51 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> "fedora promotes internet freedom"
>
> with links to the general statement. The meeting minutes haven't been
> published yet. Since I was on vacation, I'm not sure who's dropped the ball
> here.
>
> Go ahead and update with that text.

So that text would work as a heading for the text.... but then it would
have no text. That would look odd, no?

I'll go ahead and do it, but I don't think it is going to look right.

~m