Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was FUDcon Board Meeting)

Hi folks,

Regarding adding a statement about SOPA on the front page of
fedoraproject.org -

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 13:29 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Jared is writing the statement, when he has it ready he will file the
> appropriate tickets to get the site updated.

We were talking about this in #fedora-design, a few points came up:

- Jared, can you write the statement with the broad header of 'Interent
Censorship', mentioning *both* SOPA and PIPA since both are threats?

- From a website design point-of-view, the best way of incorporating the
statement is to have a heading about it in the orange ticker tape on the
website as well as have the default slide in the main slide area that
relates to internet censorship. Both should click through to the
statement Jared is writing.

- Does anybody have ideas for graphics to go along with the slide text?
Some ideas we had:

- keep it completely black or a black gradient
- have a black background with outlines of people that have 'censored'
labels on top of them (and maybe put an outline of beefy somewhere in
there too)
- (okay this is silly) have an artsy-looking field of hot dog-less
buns

What do you think?

~m

Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Ian Weller

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:40:25PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> - Jared, can you write the statement with the broad header of 'Interent
> Censorship', mentioning *both* SOPA and PIPA since both are threats?

'Stop Internet Censorship' or other such things would be better IMHO.

> - keep it completely black or a black gradient

This is my preference.

> - (okay this is silly) have an artsy-looking field of hot dog-less
> buns

This is my silly preference.

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:46:34PM -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:40:25PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > - Jared, can you write the statement with the broad header of 'Interent
> > Censorship', mentioning *both* SOPA and PIPA since both are threats?
>
> 'Stop Internet Censorship' or other such things would be better IMHO.
>
> > - keep it completely black or a black gradient
>
> This is my preference.
>
> > - (okay this is silly) have an artsy-looking field of hot dog-less
> > buns
>
> This is my silly preference.

FWIW, +1 Ian. I like the simple idea the best. Saying and displaying
as little as possible hits home the hardest IMHO.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Ian Weller

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 04:49:39PM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:46:34PM -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:40:25PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > > - Jared, can you write the statement with the broad header of 'Interent
> > > Censorship', mentioning *both* SOPA and PIPA since both are threats?
> >
> > 'Stop Internet Censorship' or other such things would be better IMHO.
> >
> > > - keep it completely black or a black gradient
> >
> > This is my preference.
> >
> > > - (okay this is silly) have an artsy-looking field of hot dog-less
> > > buns
> >
> > This is my silly preference.
>
> FWIW, +1 Ian. I like the simple idea the best. Saying and displaying
> as little as possible hits home the hardest IMHO.

We have room for about two short paragraphs of text. Does anybody want
to work on the language?

Also should we link to various places (like americancensorship.org)?

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 16 January 2012 15:15, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> As another note...
>
> can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?
>
> I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
> to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
> this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
> well?

Actually for "blackouts" there are usually NO webpages. There will be
no logins. There will be no pages other than

"Closed for SIPA/PIPA and similar bills."
"This is how the web will look in 2012 unless you call your closest US
government representative."
"Read more at ...."

> kevin

Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me." Â*—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd

Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 03:15:30PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> As another note...
>
> can we put the information in a info box on the top of all wiki pages?
>
> I know we have done this in the past for important info we are trying
> to get out to all our users, and I think it would be a good idea in
> this case as well. Is the Board ok with adding the info to the wiki as
> well?

The Board didn't vote on that exact thing at the meeting although we
discussed it. In case it matters,

+1 wiki to.

-Toshio