-   -   Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/620744-fedora-17-wallpaper-fireworks-concept-next-step-colorization.html)

Martin Sourada 01-13-2012 09:15 PM

Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

Hi Alex,

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:44:01 +0300
Alexander Smirnov wrote:

> Hi team!
>
> The next step of "fireworks" concept - colorization phase.
>
> Placed in our artboard [1].
>
> Testing screenshots gnome, kde, lxde, xfce. [2].
>
> [1] - http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/101
> [2] -
> http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/Screenshots/

There're basically two things I'd like to say about them:
1) I love them, they look awesome; however
2) I believe they're too busy (well, they're very true to their name,
aren't they ;-)) for a default wallpaper.

Anyway, either as default or as extras, I think it definitely deserves
to be included.

Maybe you could try something more subtle with more shades of blue and
less other colours? I'm not sure if that would work with that concept,
but maybe it's worth trying.

Cheers,
Martin

Mirn Duffy 01-15-2012 05:55 AM

Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 15:44 +0300, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> Testing screenshots gnome, kde, lxde, xfce. [2].
>
> [1] - http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/101
> [2] -
> http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/Screenshots/

I love the concept, because:

- Fireworks are a very nice tie-in to Beefy Miracle, see
http://beefymiracle.org

- Fireworks can also make some really cool patterns that are abstract,
hopefully enough to serve as a greaet wallpaper base!

I do think we'll have to work through figuring out a way to render the
fireworks so that are able to fade into the background, providing a
pretty environment while at the same time not grabbing too much
attention!

But, we're just in the concept phase, right :) So it's okay, we can take
it on as a challenge and help you work through it, right?

Here's some inspiration:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Fireworks/1021853 these are beautiful.
not all wallpaper-suited but, some are. the first one definitely is.

http://foglight.deviantart.com/art/Fireworks-170224190?q=boost%3Apopular
%20fireworks%20watercolor&qo=30

http://korpinkynsi.deviantart.com/art/Domestic-Fireworks-149314050?q=boost%3Apopular%20fireworks%20watercol or&qo=46

http://xxdarknessloveshimxx.deviantart.com/art/FireWorks-211480595?q=boost%3Apopular%20fireworks%20watercol or&qo=45

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Guinness-Alive-Inside/92979

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Fireworks/480209 - these are too intense
but the lines are so clean. maybe some kind of weaving of the lines of
different bursts?

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Burst-Of-Bokeh/2495437 bokeh fireworks :)

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles11/747141/projects/2773389/2f63b95048d95f82ee6461f3236f3302.JPG this one is from this set http://www.behance.net/gallery/New-Years-Fireworks/2773389 ) which are generally shaky and not necessarily awesome, but in that one shot from the set you see the firework burst getting dragged out... it might make for some interesting wallpaper-friendly lines. it looks kind of 3D!

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Fireworks/2313692 the first one in this
set has interesting sparks coming off almost like stars... with the
lower intensity it seems like the spark pattern would be more wallpaper
suited

What do you think? Any of these strike a chord?

~m

Mirn Duffy 01-16-2012 02:30 PM

Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

Hi Gnokii!!!

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 16:40 +0100, S.Kemter wrote:
> Hi mizmo and all other artists,
>
> maybe thats a way to render fireworks, of course used my favorite tool Inkscape
> ;)
>
> http://gnokii.fedorapeople.org/fireworks.png

This is an awesome technique!! Would you mind writing it up as a Fedora
Planet post? Maybe folks can give it a try and submit their designs to
us to help Alexander and the rest of us brainstorm on the rendering?

~m

Alexander Smirnov 01-18-2012 07:54 PM

2012/1/18 S.Kemter <buergermeister@karl-tux-stadt.de>

Am Montag, 16. Januar 2012, 16:30:07 schrieb Mirn Duffy:

> Hi Gnokii!!!

> On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 16:40 +0100, S.Kemter wrote:

> > Hi mizmo and all other artists,

> > maybe thats a way to render fireworks, of course used my favorite tool

> > Inkscape ;)

> > http://gnokii.fedorapeople.org/fireworks.png

> This is an awesome technique!! Would you mind writing it up as a Fedora

> Planet post? Maybe folks can give it a try and submit their designs to

> us to help Alexander and the rest of us brainstorm on the rendering?

I took some time this morning and made an screencast about it:

http://vimeo.com/35248796

br gnokii

> ~m

The good screencast. It's very interesting technique. I try use it for detailing the last concept.

Thanks,
Alexander.

Onyeibo Oku 01-23-2012 04:13 PM

Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

Awesome!

The dispersal/bang-sprays may need to be enhanced or it tends to look
like mere stars at a distance. I wonder were the burger and the beefy
'joke' fits into this ... but I LIKE IT!

Máirín Duffy 01-23-2012 04:24 PM

On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 18:13 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
> Awesome!
>
> The dispersal/bang-sprays may need to be enhanced or it tends to look
> like mere stars at a distance. I wonder were the burger and the beefy
> 'joke' fits into this ... but I LIKE IT!

Visit beefymiracle.org and all will become clear ;-)

~m

Martin Sourada 01-23-2012 07:19 PM

Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

Hi Alexander,

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:44:40 +0300
Alexander Smirnov wrote:

> Hi team!
>
> The next iteration my "fireworks" wallpaper concept [1].
> Test screenshots for various desktops and source here [2].
>
> [1] - http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/107/
> [2] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora17/Wallpaper/v2/

Whoa, that's awesome! I like it.

On a side note -- as the deadline for colorization was last Tuesday and
we're slowly approaching deadline for alpha polish (next Tuesday) and as
this is practically the only concept that's being actively worked on --
anyone against it if we go with this concept for F17?

Cheers,
Martin

Alexander Smirnov 01-24-2012 08:46 PM

Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

Thanks Martin, Onyeibo and other...

I posted update latest version of my "fireworks" concept [1].
Maybe it's first step to polish the alpha wallpaper?

[1] - http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/108

Best regards,
Alexander.

"Paul W. Frields" 01-25-2012 01:54 PM

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:48:06PM +0100, S.Kemter wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 24. Januar 2012, 22:46:39 schrieb Alexander Smirnov:
> > Thanks Martin, Onyeibo and other...
> >
> > I posted update latest version of my "fireworks" concept [1].
> > Maybe it's first step to polish the alpha wallpaper?
>
> I dont like it, I dont know the "stripes" arround look not so nice, the one
> before was better but I know on that one the "kicking" point was missing.
>
> maybe more something like this
> http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/109
>
> just my opinion

I see good things in both of these. I like Alexander's rendering but
will try to explain in more detail how I feel it could be improved.

In gnokii's version, the trails of the exploding particles have a
softer, fuzzier look. In Alexander's, they are very fine streaks with
what I would call a higher energy -- meaning (at least to me) there
are very abrupt contrasts between one color/brightness and another.
To my eye this makes for a more distracting background, when I think
the right goal would be a beautiful but subtle background that doesn't
make itself too noticeable. Also, the center of the fireworks are
very bright, again making for possibly some excess distraction.

However, overall Alexander's rendering does have a great feel, and
perhaps softening or blurring these exploding trails outward from the
center of each firework would help reduce the energy somewhat. I'm
not sure how much the brightness of the center of each firework could
be adjusted without sacrificing people's ability to know what they're
looking at.

I wish I had the skill to do a version based on what I'm talking
about, but I don't. But I hope the explanation was helpful to someone
who does!

Onyeibo Oku 01-25-2012 09:28 PM

Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

On 25/01/2012 21:22, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
<snip>

This is the choice of a new generation of users Linux,
> Fedora and other open source software ;) And surprisingly they like
> GNOME 3 is more, than experienced users.

Not surprising to me. I've had to perform an installation of F14 for a
friend. It was difficult finding the usual things -- funny, they were
in the usual places when Gnome2 was the norm (get what I mean?).

Which reminds me, I had a horrible experience printing a PDF letter from
Evince on that machine. I couldn't control print margins at all. I
wonder if that is a known issue.