Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Alexander Smirnov

Default Fedora 17 Wallpaper - "fireworks" concept - next step colorization

2012/1/25 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>

I see good things in both of these. *I like Alexander's rendering but

will try to explain in more detail how I feel it could be improved.

In gnokii's version, the trails of the exploding particles have a

softer, fuzzier look. *In Alexander's, they are very fine streaks with

what I would call a higher energy -- meaning (at least to me) there

are very abrupt contrasts between one color/brightness and another.

To my eye this makes for a more distracting background, when I think

the right goal would be a beautiful but subtle background that doesn't

make itself too noticeable. *Also, the center of the fireworks are

very bright, again making for possibly some excess distraction.

However, overall Alexander's rendering does have a great feel, and

perhaps softening or blurring these exploding trails outward from the

center of each firework would help reduce the energy somewhat. *I'm

not sure how much the brightness of the center of each firework could

be adjusted without sacrificing people's ability to know what they're

looking at.

I wish I had the skill to do a version based on what I'm talking

about, but I don't. *But I hope the explanation was helpful to someone

who does!

A modified version [1] is based on the comments of Paul. I don't think what it full realisation Paul's idea. This is middle* variant.

[1] - http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/113

Thanks,
Alexander.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:51:06PM +0300, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> 2012/1/25 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>
>
> > I see good things in both of these. I like Alexander's rendering but
> > will try to explain in more detail how I feel it could be improved.
> >
> > In gnokii's version, the trails of the exploding particles have a
> > softer, fuzzier look. In Alexander's, they are very fine streaks with
> > what I would call a higher energy -- meaning (at least to me) there
> > are very abrupt contrasts between one color/brightness and another.
> > To my eye this makes for a more distracting background, when I think
> > the right goal would be a beautiful but subtle background that doesn't
> > make itself too noticeable. Also, the center of the fireworks are
> > very bright, again making for possibly some excess distraction.
> >
> > However, overall Alexander's rendering does have a great feel, and
> > perhaps softening or blurring these exploding trails outward from the
> > center of each firework would help reduce the energy somewhat. I'm
> > not sure how much the brightness of the center of each firework could
> > be adjusted without sacrificing people's ability to know what they're
> > looking at.
> >
> > I wish I had the skill to do a version based on what I'm talking
> > about, but I don't. But I hope the explanation was helpful to someone
> > who does!
> >

> A modified version [1] is based on the comments of Paul. I don't think what
> it full realisation Paul's idea. This is middle variant.
>
> [1] - http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard/post/view/113

Nice! This is on the right track, but perhaps more fuzziness may be
called for to make the background less distracting.