Old 12-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Ryan Gauger

Default Default Theme Thoughts

Design team,

We do many things, one of the many things we do is create and choose the default wallpapers for the next release of Fedora. I thought (thinking about Ubuntu) that it would be really cool for Fedora to have its own default theme, possibly keeping the default GNOME theme as an option, but using the default Fedora theme by default. In my opinion, it would be really cool for Fedora to have its own unique theme that maybe, possibly changes every three or four releases, making small, supplemental changes. This way, when a Linux user looks at the Fedora desktop without the wallpaper giving it away, that user would know right away that that computer was running Fedora. Again, not really needed, but would be really nice, possibly very fun to create the themes too. Now, I will shut up since I have no clue as to how to make a theme, but there is probably at least one person in this team who does know how to make themes. Might be, also might not be a good idea. Thanks!!!

---Ryan

Sent from my iPod

Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Chris Beiser

I understand the sentiment; it would be kinda cool to have a distinct 'Fedora' visual style. But. Keep in mind first that Fedora is the only major linux distro I know of that uses Gnome 3.x out of the box; there's not exactly that much additional individuality that could be gained (at least for now) by creating a new skin. Furthermore, the Gnome designers really have been working pretty hard on Adwaita; I'm pretty confident we'd have trouble out-designing them on all the theming; most everything in Gnome 3 works as a harmonious whole, down to the typeface, and if we wanted to change something (lets say, the titlebars), I think we'd have a lot of trouble making everything else fit without redesigning everything. If a Fedora user wanted people to notice their distro, they could use a default wallpaper, and if they wanted to make it look different, they could install a theme, but I don't think it would make sense to fragment the Gnome 3 experience and slight all the fantastic Gnome designers in order to make Fedora look a little different after install.
--*
Chris Beiser

Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Elad

[...]

We are going to stick with GNOME's upstream design. You are free to work on whatever theme you like, but it won't be default.

--
-Elad Alfassa.