-   -   Ransom Notes Brainstorming (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/608812-ransom-notes-brainstorming.html)

Chris Beiser 12-10-2011 05:29 PM

Ransom Notes Brainstorming

I've been sporadically working on Ransom Notes, which are basically banners for the 'captive' audience of the installer, for a few months now. (For more information on the Ransom Note concept, look here:*http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2011/09/16/fedora-design-bounty-installer-ransom-notes/ ) Sketches and iterated concepts can be seen at the Ransom Note page,*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign/Ransom_Notes, but because a lot of the initial ideas can't be implemented without significant implementation difficulty (As I understand it, we don't know what desktop environment the user is using. If I'm mistaken, and this is in fact easily dealt with, I'd love to know.) only a few of them have been eligible for refinement and ultimately, inclusion in F17. Therefore, we're looking for you to share any ideas on what we should show users while they install.

Chris Beiser.

Joel Vazquez 12-12-2011 07:40 PM

Ransom Notes Brainstorming

Hello. I just went through the links and I would like to give it a shot. I mean, I have a few ideas that might come into good use.

[...]

Linux is the way to go.

Máirín Duffy 12-12-2011 07:46 PM

Ransom Notes Brainstorming

Hi Joel,

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 16:40 -0400, Joel Vazquez wrote:
> Hello. I just went through the links and I would like to give it a
> shot. I mean, I have a few ideas that might come into good use.

Cool, what are your ideas?

~m

Joel Vazquez 12-13-2011 03:49 PM

Ransom Notes Brainstorming

Hello Máirín Duffy.

Actually I have two basic ideas.
1- Features: Facts about the new features that are added in the newest versions of Fedora. Also features for the various environments, Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc. Features like what new options were added to the systems settings, what new or current browser the os is using, amongst other things. And if you're talking about business, promotion on the various environments and their features. Also what new apps are being used.

2- Security Features: What exploits were recently patched, what type of firewall is being used (netfilter, fwbuilder, etc). What programs to download to protect you from hackers, hints on how to protect your privacy, recent bug patches, protection from DDoS attacks, etc. What not to do when you're in Iran. ;D

I hope you have an idea about what I am trying to say here.
These are just a few things I could think of at the moment. I hope I was helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Máirín Duffy 12-13-2011 08:12 PM

Ransom Notes Brainstorming

Hi Joel,

These seems like great ideas (more below)

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 12:49 -0400, Joel Vazquez wrote:
> Actually I have two basic ideas.
> 1- Features: Facts about the new features that are added in the newest
> versions of Fedora. Also features for the various environments, Gnome,
> KDE, Xfce, etc. Features like what new options were added to the
> systems settings, what new or current browser the os is using, amongst
> other things. And if you're talking about business, promotion on the
> various environments and their features. Also what new apps are being
> used.

Would you be willing to do a bit of research and come up with a few
(let's say 3-4) concrete, specific examples for this?

> 2- Security Features: What exploits were recently patched, what type
> of firewall is being used (netfilter, fwbuilder, etc). What programs
> to download to protect you from hackers, hints on how to protect your
> privacy, recent bug patches, protection from DDoS attacks, etc. What
> not to do when you're in Iran. ;D

The same here - could you come up with 3-4 specifics here?

> I hope you have an idea about what I am trying to say here.
> These are just a few things I could think of at the moment. I hope I
> was helpful.

Absolutely! We'll need specific apps, security features, etc. to move
forward and come up with visual concepts for. Are you interested?

~m