Old 10-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Elad

Default Possibility of Changing groups on join-fedora

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Elad <el.il@doom.co.il> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Tim Flink <tflink@redhat.com> wrote:

We've been trying to brainstorm ideas on how to increase the number of

proventesters [1] and one idea was to separate out testing from OS

Development on the join-fedora page [2].

Our rationale behind this is that a lot of the testing that needs to be

done doesn't really require the ability to code or a deep understanding

of Fedora.

For example, a proventester should be installing (at least some)

packages from updates-testing and giving karma to those updates after

some use. Ideally, that person would file a new bug or add a report to

an existing bug for any issues encountered but a vast majority of the

updates don't have immediate issues.

Our hope is that we might be able to attract more proventesters if it

was described as a little less technical than packaging or BugZapping.

By attracting more members, we would be able to have better coverage of

packages for Fedora releases and not end up with so many packages in

updates-testing for months before they can be pushed to stable.

So, our questions are:

*- Would it be possible to change the groups on join-fedora?
Sure, it is possible.

*- If so, is there a process for proposing the change?

You first need to change it in the wiki page, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join
Then, you need to contact the design team to make an icon for the tester role. When you've done that, just reply to this email with the text you want to use as a role description. I'd suggest just saying "tester" and not proventester, because it's more clear.

When all these steps are done, I'll be able to add it to the join-fedora page.*

Thanks,

Tim

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Proven_tester

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/join-fedora

-Elad Alfassa.

Any update on this? I really want to get it done before f16 GA.
CC'ing the design team as well, because we need an icon for this role.
--
-Elad Alfassa.