Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Ben Williams

Default VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

On 10/24/2011 10:11 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I spoke to the design team about the possibility of doing a workshop for
> VT during FUDcon Blacksburg.
>
> The amount of time and topics we can cover are going to vary depending
> on who is able to obtain funding to attend:
>
> - Klaatu (who is definitely coming accdg. to wiki) can teach Kdenlive,
> GIMP, or Scribus
> - Emily (who is still seeking funding accdg. to wiki) can teach
> Inkscape, GIMP
> - Elad (who is still seeking funding accdg. to wiki) can teach GIMP and
> some Inkscape
>
> I think because we only know for sure that Klaatu and I will be there,
> we should do something modular so units can be swapped in or out
> depending on attedance. E.g.:
>
> A three hour workshop one day, with one hour each devoted to:
>
> - Gimp
> - Inkscape
> - Kdenlive (Klaatu)
>
> The person leading each tool's instruction will vary depending on who we
> have showing up (except for Klaatu who we'll need to teach Kdenlive);
> folks helping out who aren't leading the class can act as lab
> assistants.
>
> If there is a computer lab available, would it be possible to have the
> software pre-installed? If we are expecting students to bring their own
> laptops, then we should probably tack on an optional hour to the front
> of the class to prep students' computers.
>
> What do you think?
>
> ~m

no computer lab will be available but i can always make live DVDs for
the participants to use with their computers so downloading will not be
needed

I think I can say Emily will be an easy approval especially if she is
commited to doing a workshop

myself i am up in the air about KDEnlive vs Scribus which do you think
would be the best to the first time users (and what would help them
become contributors faster?)

Old 10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 10:23 -0400, Ben Williams wrote:
> no computer lab will be available but i can always make live DVDs for
> the participants to use with their computers so downloading will not be
> needed

Okay that would be fantastic. We might just need a 15-20 minute period
before class starts just to make sure everything runs smoothly. Or maybe
push the workshop time to be 3.5 hours to allow for some software issue
resolution time up-front.

> I think I can say Emily will be an easy approval especially if she is
> commited to doing a workshop

Okay cool.

> myself i am up in the air about KDEnlive vs Scribus which do you think
> would be the best to the first time users (and what would help them
> become contributors faster?)

I don't know about kdenlive because I haven't had much luck using it in
the past; Scribus tends to be crashy (and at least for me, totally
broken in F15) so I'm not sure it would be a good candidate for a
first-timer experience. (What do you think about kdenlive for
first-timers specifically, Klaatu?)

I think kdenlive would be a good candidate for helping folks become
contributors; one thing I think we desperately need are Fedora-specific
video reviews and tutorials. Having a way of editing and cutting video /
screencasts to post them online would be a huge help there. In fact, as
part of the course we could maybe run the video editing section at the
end, and have the students produce a screencast of what they learned in
Inkscape or Gimp and post it online at the end of class.

~m

Old 10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 10:51 -0430, María Leandro wrote:

> This is my personal apreciation, obviously; I come from a Continent
> where patents and formats hasn't restrictions but maybe a different
> aproach, more friendly and less bossy

My guess is that it's fine to teach such things under your own name if
you're willing to bear the responsibility, but it's a bad idea to teach
things that are not legal in the US there under Fedora's name.

What Elad suggests is the responsible thing to do for this particular
event.

~m

Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 11:09 -0430, María Leandro wrote:
> Not teach, name, and I have no problems to do it

Promoting the usage of software only available outside of the Fedora
project repos will potentially cause issues for some of the folks
volunteering to teach.

Out of respect for them, I would like to make it clear that we will not
be doing that for this specific event.

If you would like to discuss this further, contact me off-list.

Thanks,
~m