-   -   VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/590728-vt-fudcon-blacksburg-open-source-design-tools-workshop.html)

Máirín Duffy 10-24-2011 02:11 PM

VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

Hi Ben,

I spoke to the design team about the possibility of doing a workshop for
VT during FUDcon Blacksburg.

The amount of time and topics we can cover are going to vary depending
on who is able to obtain funding to attend:

- Klaatu (who is definitely coming accdg. to wiki) can teach Kdenlive,
GIMP, or Scribus
- Emily (who is still seeking funding accdg. to wiki) can teach
Inkscape, GIMP
- Elad (who is still seeking funding accdg. to wiki) can teach GIMP and
some Inkscape

I think because we only know for sure that Klaatu and I will be there,
we should do something modular so units can be swapped in or out
depending on attedance. E.g.:

A three hour workshop one day, with one hour each devoted to:

- Gimp
- Inkscape
- Kdenlive (Klaatu)

The person leading each tool's instruction will vary depending on who we
have showing up (except for Klaatu who we'll need to teach Kdenlive);
folks helping out who aren't leading the class can act as lab
assistants.

If there is a computer lab available, would it be possible to have the
software pre-installed? If we are expecting students to bring their own
laptops, then we should probably tack on an optional hour to the front
of the class to prep students' computers.

What do you think?

~m

Elad 10-24-2011 02:36 PM

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 10:23 -0400, Ben Williams wrote:

> no computer lab will be available but i can always make live DVDs for

> the participants to use with their computers so downloading will not be

> needed

Okay that would be fantastic. We might just need a 15-20 minute period

before class starts just to make sure everything runs smoothly. Or maybe

push the workshop time to be 3.5 hours to allow for some software issue

resolution time up-front.

> I think I can say Emily will be an easy approval especially if she is

> commited to doing a workshop

Okay cool.

> myself i am up in the air about KDEnlive vs Scribus which do you think

> would be the best to the first time users (and what would help them

> become contributors faster?)

I don't know about kdenlive because I haven't had much luck using it in

the past; Scribus tends to be crashy (and at least for me, totally

broken in F15) so I'm not sure it would be a good candidate for a

first-timer experience. (What do you think about kdenlive for

first-timers specifically, Klaatu?)

I think kdenlive would be a good candidate for helping folks become

contributors; one thing I think we desperately need are Fedora-specific

video reviews and tutorials. Having a way of editing and cutting video /

screencasts to post them online would be a huge help there. In fact, as

part of the course we could maybe run the video editing section at the

end, and have the students produce a screencast of what they learned in

Inkscape or Gimp and post it online at the end of class.
Sounds awesome, but I'd recommend pitivi instead of kdenlive, it's easier to use...
but It won't start on my f16 machine right now. If the bug will be fixed, I can make a class about it (if you want).

*"Using pitivi, recordmydesktop and gst-launch for screencasting".

~m

-Elad Alfassa.

Klaatu 10-24-2011 02:40 PM

VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

I feel quite good about Kdenlive, as of their .8 release. I think it's fine
for first timers and yes, it would help a lot with getting people to generate
video content. I've been using it in production at the production institute i
work at, and it's been great, and already i'm working on screencasts about
blender and emacs and anything else that inspires me.

In short, yes it's gotten good, and yes I think it can inspire users to do
cool stuff.

-- klaatu

María Leandro 10-24-2011 02:48 PM

VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

Also not forget to talk about ffmeg and mencoder, usually you need to do some conversions to have an easy-edition with any video-app.
I could help a bit with a Blender introduction; neither:

Mesh and TexturesRigging and AnimationGames Engine.

If anyone needs a bit of more help with Gimp I would be happy to help on that. Also, some things we made on Panamá was the fact of not only use labs, rooms or formal places. Hallways, gardens and open spaces can also be used; not only because increase the range area of people we can talk with, but also because provides a less formal and more friendly environment where Forums and FAQ rounds can be taken.

If there are no more rooms availables for this activities, I wouldn't mind to have an outdoors (again, can be just outside the formal rooms) where FAQ can be solved if there are some remaining doubts or people just want to expand knowledge; or simply if there is not enough room.

--
tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro

LinuxUser= 440285* GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56

Elad 10-24-2011 02:54 PM

VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

Also not forget to talk about ffmeg and mencoder, usually you need to do some conversions to have an easy-edition with any video-app.
Software patents sucks, and that's why we don't have ffmpeg and mencoder in our repos. I don't think we should explain these tools in a Fudcon hackfest, we want to encourage users and contributors to use free formats.

*You can use recordmydesktop to output an ogv file, and convert it to webm (or any other format, if you installed the right gstreamer plugins, and you really want to do it) with pitivi in the render stage (or, if you like the command line, with gst-launch as well. Usually I use gst-launch to display the image from the webcam on the screen during the screencast)

María Leandro 10-24-2011 03:21 PM

VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

Onyeibo, maybe Fudcon NA or LATAM :P

I was refering with ffmpeg and mencoder more to videos, not to Blender. We also need to deal with camcord formats and so far, there aren't too many cameras with free formats.*

Even if we know that some formats are incorrect; the only way to make someone understand that there are options is showing them. Now, if we plan to talk about design where people already know about design (with private tools) then we need to show them that if their teachers ask them a PSD file, Gimp can provide it... or if they need to deliver their homework as AI. Inkscape can do it.

When we talk about formats we cannot apply the "don't" rule. See kids example, if you forbid a kid to do something, is the first thing he will do; if you explain him why he shouldn't and show him/her some examples and tell him/her "hey, danger is here, but you can choose not to use it" would be better.

This is my personal apreciation, obviously; I come from a Continent where patents and formats hasn't restrictions but maybe a different aproach, more friendly and less bossy :)

--
tatica

María Leandro 10-24-2011 03:39 PM

VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

Not teach, name,*and I have no problems to do it :)
--
tatica

María Leandro 10-24-2011 04:02 PM

VT/FUDcon Blacksburg: Open Source Design Tools Workshop

Np then :)
I will keep shut up :)
--
tatica