Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Emily Dirsh

Default FUDcon Blacksburg FLOSS design tools outreach workshop

On Thu 20 Oct 2011 02:06:19 PM EDT, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ben Williams proposed the idea that members of the design team attending
> FUDcon Blacksburg could hold a 1-2 day workshop for Virginia Tech (the
> host of this FUDcon) students, faculty, and staff to introduce them to
> free& open source design tools& techniques. Here are some ideas of
> things we could do (please feel free to respond with your own):
>
> - An overview of all of the tools that are available with demos of each
> and a questions& answers period for each (Gimp, Inkscape, Blender,
> Scribus, MyPaint, Alchemy, SwatchBooker, Xournal, Darktable, Shotwell,
> LibreOffice, etc. etc. etc.)
>
> - A few project-based deep dives into specific tools:
> - Creating charts& diagrams with Inkscape
> - Creating comic books with Inkscape
> - Correcting red eye in photos with the Gimp
> - Creating a celebrity portraits in Gimp
> - Creating a flyer in Scribus
> - Your idea here
>
> - A project-based workshop that crosses tools, e.g.:
> - Creating a newsletter using Gimp for photo manip, Inkscape for the
> logo, and Scribus for the layout
> - Creating a 3D character using Blender for modeling and bringing it
> into Gimp or Inkscape for painting
> - Your idea here
>
> I have taught courses / have content for *some* of the above ideas
> (charts& diagrams, comic books, celebrity portraits) so those would be
> quicker to prep for I think.
>
> If you are planning / hoping to attend FUDcon and would be interested in
> helping out with such a course (which is a great outreach opportunity to
> help more folks make use of our tools) would you mind replying to let me
> know?
>
> I'd like to put together a proposal for Ben by Monday (24 Oct). He needs
> to know what we can do no later than Nov 1 I think because he has to
> book a room(s) and get the word out before the end of the semester
> there.
>
> ~m

Count me in

Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Elad

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

[...]

I would really like to help, although my inkscape skills are fairly minimal.
--
-Elad Alfassa.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM
María Leandro

- A few project-based deep dives into specific tools:

*- Creating charts & diagrams with Inkscape

*- Creating comic books with Inkscape

*- Correcting red eye in photos with the Gimp

*- Creating a celebrity portraits in Gimp

*- Creating a flyer in Scribus

*- Your idea here
- Create blender shapes*- Photo-retouch with Gimp- Standar info about banners, flyers, wallpapers and other design items (basic so anyone can know the sizes, DPI, prints, etc)
- Creating text animations in Blender**

- A project-based workshop that crosses tools, e.g.:

*- Creating a newsletter using Gimp for photo manip, Inkscape for the

logo, and Scribus for the layout

*- Creating a 3D character using Blender for modeling and bringing it

into Gimp or Inkscape for painting

*- Your idea here
- Create a website template in blender and construct an html/css based template

--
tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro

LinuxUser= 440285* GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56

Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Klaatu

I've been using Kdenlive quite a bit lately for video editing at my job. I'd
be happy to give a howto on that.

Otherwise, I am available to do presentations on GIMP and/or Scribus.

-- klaatu

> > - A few project-based deep dives into specific tools:
> > - Creating charts & diagrams with Inkscape
> > - Creating comic books with Inkscape
> > - Correcting red eye in photos with the Gimp
> > - Creating a celebrity portraits in Gimp
> > - Creating a flyer in Scribus
> > - Your idea here
>
> - Create blender shapes
> - Photo-retouch with Gimp
> - Standar info about banners, flyers, wallpapers and other design items
> (basic so anyone can know the sizes, DPI, prints, etc)
> - Creating text animations in Blender
>
> > - A project-based workshop that crosses tools, e.g.:
> > - Creating a newsletter using Gimp for photo manip, Inkscape for the
> >
> > logo, and Scribus for the layout
> >
> > - Creating a 3D character using Blender for modeling and bringing it
> >
> > into Gimp or Inkscape for painting
> >
> > - Your idea here
>
> - Create a website template in blender and construct an html/css based
> template
- klaatu