Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 AM
"S.Kemter"

Default cd/dvd sleeves f16

Hello,

I was asked about the status of the artwork for the sleeves for f16. cwickert
meant they need them a little bit earlier as last time. so does someone work
on that?

br gnokii

Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Donnerstag, den 06.10.2011, 04:51 +0200 schrieb S.Kemter:
> Hello,
>
> I was asked about the status of the artwork for the sleeves for f16. cwickert
> meant they need them a little bit earlier as last time.

Please don't shoot me, I am just the messenger.

The reason why we need the media earlier this time is:
* We are collecting quotes from different producers and need the
artwork for that.
* In the past we repeatedly had problems with the artwork provided
because it did not match the specifications of the company. The
biggest problem usually is the printed margin around the actual
sleeve that is used for folding and gluing. I had to rework most
of the sleeves and I need more time in case something goes
wrong.

Please allow me to add two more things.
1. Because of the problems with the margin, please try to avoid
round shapes in corners like the object that contained the
architecture. It was supposed to be a 90° curve but if cut off
and/or folded I looks a little strange.
2. I would also like to see a "Not for sale - For promotional use
only" notice on the sleeves. It might help us with customs in
countries with high import fees.

Thanks a lot to everybody involved in the media artwork. You are doing
an awesome job with every released and I'm looking forward for your
ideas about F16.

Regards,
Christoph

Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Clint Savage

Christoph,

> * * 2. I would also like to see a "Not for sale - For promotional use
> * * * *only" notice on the sleeves. It might help us with customs in
> * * * *countries with high import fees.

That is an *excellent* idea. We run into similar situations trying to
ship from the US to Canada and I think that could seriously help
everywhere. Plus, it really is Not for sale, so there is truth in
advertising

Cheers,

Clint

Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Máirín Duffy

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 19:40 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> * In the past we repeatedly had problems with the artwork provided
> because it did not match the specifications of the company. The
> biggest problem usually is the printed margin around the actual
> sleeve that is used for folding and gluing. I had to rework most
> of the sleeves and I need more time in case something goes
> wrong.

Do you have any spec sheets for the printers you're talking to?

~m

Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Christoph Wickert

Am Samstag, den 08.10.2011, 21:39 -0400 schrieb Máirín Duffy:
> On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 19:40 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > * In the past we repeatedly had problems with the artwork provided
> > because it did not match the specifications of the company. The
> > biggest problem usually is the printed margin around the actual
> > sleeve that is used for folding and gluing. I had to rework most
> > of the sleeves and I need more time in case something goes
> > wrong.
>
> Do you have any spec sheets for the printers you're talking to?

It depends on the vendor and not on the printers. In the past we used
MediaBit here in Germany and their specs are available at
http://www.mediabit.de/?id=1198

Sleeves:
http://www.mediabit.de/uploads/media/abmessungen_kartonstecktasche_rechts_02.pdf
Disk labels (never caused problems):
http://www.mediabit.de/uploads/media/labelspezifikationen_produktionen_02.pdf

However this time we probably will use another vendor. Not all have
their specs published, so our approach is to send them the artwork and
ask if it's fine for them or if they require changes.

We will make a decision about the vendor this week and I'll try to
provide their specs ASAP.

Thanks for your help,
Christoph

Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Alexander Smirnov

Hi all!

2011/10/8 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert@googlemail.com>

Am Donnerstag, den 06.10.2011, 04:51 +0200 schrieb S.Kemter:

> Hello,

> I was asked about the status of the artwork for the sleeves for f16. cwickert

> meant they need them a little bit earlier as last time.

Please don't shoot me, I am just the messenger.

The reason why we need the media earlier this time is:

* * ** We are collecting quotes from different producers and need the

* * * *artwork for that.

* * ** In the past we repeatedly had problems with the artwork provided

* * * *because it did not match the specifications of the company. The

* * * *biggest problem usually is the printed margin around the actual

* * * *sleeve that is used for folding and gluing. I had to rework most

* * * *of the sleeves and I need more time in case something goes

* * * *wrong.

Please allow me to add two more things.

* * 1. Because of the problems with the margin, please try to avoid

* * * *round shapes in corners like the object that contained the

* * * *architecture. It was supposed to be a 90° curve but if cut off

* * * *and/or folded I looks a little strange.

* * 2. I would also like to see a "Not for sale - For promotional use

* * * *only" notice on the sleeves. It might help us with customs in

* * * *countries with high import fees.

Thanks a lot to everybody involved in the media artwork. You are doing

an awesome job with every released and I'm looking forward for your

ideas about F16.

Regards,

Christoph

I placed to my fedorapeople space, variant "Installation DVD" sleeve [1] (only full png file) for design review.

[1] -* http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora16/Fedora-16-installationmedia-32.png

Thanks,
Alexander.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Montag, den 10.10.2011, 16:08 +0400 schrieb Alexander Smirnov:

> I placed to my fedorapeople space, variant "Installation DVD" sleeve
> [1] (only full png file) for design review.

Thanks Alexander,

awesome job - as always.

If there is one thing that could be improved, it's the handles of the
bull's eye. They look very clean. But this is really minor, I really
like what I see.

If you can send us a PDF (one should be enough) by the end of the week,
we have everything we need for the media vendors.

Thanks a lot for your efforts,
Christoph

Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
"Onyeibo Oku"

Links?
from twohot@device.mobile

Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Vinzenz Vietzke

Am 10.10.2011 17:10, schrieb Onyeibo Oku:
> Links?

See original mail by Alexander:

>> I placed to my fedorapeople space, variant "Installation DVD" sleeve [1]
>> (only full png file) for design review.
>>
>> [1] -
>> http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora16/Fedora-16-installationmedia-32.png
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alexander.

Vinzenz Vietzke
Fedora Events Ninja / Coordination German L10N Team

Mail: vietzke@b1-systems.de

B1 Systems GmbH