Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Image Annotation App - more ideas

Hi folks,

So Emichan and Jef have been working on this image annotation app that
Kirk and I have been using to work on the RPG mockup:

http://jefvanschendel.nl/ImageAnnotation/index.php?i=Fedora_RPG_Startpage_Mockup_1

(source & git repo here: http://gitorious.org/remote-image-annotation)

Out of the process of using it Kirk pointed out some ideas for moving
the app forward and I had a few ideas too, so I thought it might be
worth breaking out another new thread on the annotation app.

Here's the ideas so far:

1) Can we put an "Add Note" button at the top of the page too? (If you
have a large image like a mockup you have to scroll down then back up to
add a note and it's a bit awkward.)

2) Could we also increase the default size of the box for the
annotation? Or maybe introduce resizeable edges like the gimp's, with a
larger drag target? (It's a little tough to resize and it currently is
almost always too small to leave alone.)

3) It would be really nice if there was a way to etherpad-style enter in
your name and have your comments color-coded and labeled as your
comments. Right now Kirk and I have been leaving our name in parentheses
after our comments.

4) Similarly it would be nice if comment blocks had timestamps.

5) It would be fantastic if there was a button you could hit, 'export
comments' and it would give you a page that is a flat list of all
comments, maybe numbered where each annotation box is a number. You
could then use that as a checklist for working on a mockup.

6) Maybe adding the ability to title each note would make sense to help
with idea #5, then it could print out a title for each set of comments.

~m

Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Emily Dirsh

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 09:45 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> So Emichan and Jef have been working on this image annotation app that
> Kirk and I have been using to work on the RPG mockup:
>
> http://jefvanschendel.nl/ImageAnnotation/index.php?i=Fedora_RPG_Startpage_Mockup_1
>
> (source & git repo here: http://gitorious.org/remote-image-annotation)
>
> Out of the process of using it Kirk pointed out some ideas for moving
> the app forward and I had a few ideas too, so I thought it might be
> worth breaking out another new thread on the annotation app.
>
> Here's the ideas so far:
>
> 1) Can we put an "Add Note" button at the top of the page too? (If you
> have a large image like a mockup you have to scroll down then back up to
> add a note and it's a bit awkward.)

> 2) Could we also increase the default size of the box for the
> annotation? Or maybe introduce resizeable edges like the gimp's, with a
> larger drag target? (It's a little tough to resize and it currently is
> almost always too small to leave alone.)

> 3) It would be really nice if there was a way to etherpad-style enter in
> your name and have your comments color-coded and labeled as your
> comments. Right now Kirk and I have been leaving our name in parentheses
> after our comments.
>
> 4) Similarly it would be nice if comment blocks had timestamps.
>
> 5) It would be fantastic if there was a button you could hit, 'export
> comments' and it would give you a page that is a flat list of all
> comments, maybe numbered where each annotation box is a number. You
> could then use that as a checklist for working on a mockup.
>
> 6) Maybe adding the ability to title each note would make sense to help
> with idea #5, then it could print out a title for each set of comments.
>
> ~m

Great notes, Kirk and Mo. The app uses the jQuery Image Annotation
plugin [1] (cuz I <3 jQuery) to manage the notes. It will probably
require hacking/forking the plugin to get, let's see, all but I think 5.
That doesn't mean we can't do it, though, cuz we can! I just used the
plugin as is to get something together as quickly as possible. It's
awesome that we're using it already! Jef and I'll both look into
getting some of these features done. Another feature to add to the list
is a gallery (I think Mo mentioned that one during the meeting this
week).

tschüs! Em

[1] -
http://blog.flipbit.co.uk/2009/03/jquery-image-annotation-plugin.html

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Jef van Schendel

2011/1/6 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> Out of the process of using it Kirk pointed out some ideas for moving
> the app forward and I had a few ideas too, so I thought it might be
> worth breaking out another new thread on the annotation app.

Absolutely, bring it on.

> 3) It would be really nice if there was a way to etherpad-style enter in
> your name and have your comments color-coded and labeled as your
> comments. Right now Kirk and I have been leaving our name in parentheses
> after our comments.
>
> 4) Similarly it would be nice if comment blocks had timestamps.

These would indeed be very nice. However as Emily pointed out this
will require digging in the plugin. Possible, but not ideal.

I kind of like the fact that it only allows basic text, leaving anyone
free to add timestamps or names as they wish.

Of course something like a timeline or color coding would be awesome,
but I'd personally like to keep it basic for now.

> 5) It would be fantastic if there was a button you could hit, 'export
> comments' and it would give you a page that is a flat list of all
> comments, maybe numbered where each annotation box is a number. You
> could then use that as a checklist for working on a mockup.

This, I think, is very interesting. I wanted to create this website so
it could be used in combination with mailing lists, because as we all
know a text-only emails aren't the ideal medium for collaboration
between designers.

On the other hand, mailing lists still have some benefits. I think the
most important one here is that messages can be stored online (in the
archives) and locally (by subscribers). I'd like the website to keep
these advantages, which is why I was thinking about a way to export
the comments to the mailing list.

This way:

1) most of the information will be saved even if external services,
like the image annotation website or the image itself, are not
available anymore. It's always good to be able to look back on earlier
discussions and decisions.
2) it will be easier to reply to individual notes without crowding the images
3) as Mo said it can be helpful to have it all in a text format

I'll try to figure out something that works well for us.

> 6) Maybe adding the ability to title each note would make sense to help
> with idea #5, then it could print out a title for each set of comments.

Like #3/4, I don't want to add this too soon. But if we're going to
"export" the comments, they should definitely have a way to
identify/separate them. Even if we don't export them, we should be
able to point them out easily in a conversation.

I hope I'm not sounding very negative, these are all good ideas. I
just want to keep it light and reasonably generic for now and see how
that goes, without adding all kinds of specialized functions.

Jef

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 19:32 +0100, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> This, I think, is very interesting. I wanted to create this website so
> it could be used in combination with mailing lists, because as we all
> know a text-only emails aren't the ideal medium for collaboration
> between designers.
>
> On the other hand, mailing lists still have some benefits. I think the
> most important one here is that messages can be stored online (in the
> archives) and locally (by subscribers). I'd like the website to keep
> these advantages, which is why I was thinking about a way to export
> the comments to the mailing list.
>
> This way:
>
> 1) most of the information will be saved even if external services,
> like the image annotation website or the image itself, are not
> available anymore. It's always good to be able to look back on earlier
> discussions and decisions.
> 2) it will be easier to reply to individual notes without crowding the images
> 3) as Mo said it can be helpful to have it all in a text format
>
> I'll try to figure out something that works well for us.

It'd be super-sweet actually to export-to-wiki. Then you can get version
control (not possible on a mailing list) and it'll be archived, and
mailing list posts can easily reference a wiki page.

~m

Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Onyeibo Oku

On 01/06/2011 07:32 PM, Jef van Schendel wrote:
<snip>

> I hope I'm not sounding very negative, these are all good ideas. I
> just want to keep it light and reasonably generic for now and see how
> that goes, without adding all kinds of specialized functions.
>
> Jef

I feel you Jef. Hit a milestone and breathe.
Change is continuous. It gets better by the second. Hit a milestone
and breathe... but always remember to move forward afterwards

Oku, O