-   -   cross community influences without losing a brand? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/468841-cross-community-influences-without-losing-brand.html)

Jakub Steiner 12-23-2010 11:04 PM

cross community influences without losing a brand?

Hi folks!

When people are done discussing existence threats and all that (kidding, kidding ;), here's a few assets that might be a good starting point to play around the idea of Lovelock Ocean Pipes[1] while getting some influence from the upstream GNOME stripes. I don't think it works all too well for the wallpaper itself as it's way too busy, but I like the texture for all the rest -- Plymouth backdrop, gdm background, posters, DVD inlays etc.

This isn't another external push to a specific direction. It's not to direct anyone anywhere. It's to inspire you guys to experiment. I'm pretty sure there's more to mine out of Lovelock. I can't identify with dismissal without actually trying it. In my view a boundary in which a designer has to be creative in is more empowering than given complete freedom. I can totally see these upstream influences incorporated into a distro with a completely different palette, like openSUSE. But that probably wouldn't be appropriate at all for me to try :)

Ingredients -- http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/trees/master/wallpaper/seapipes
Serving suggestions -- http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/24178/1/f15-seapipes?h=b9e52e

The main project file requires Blender 2.5, but there's also individual bits rendered in the XCF if you only want to experiment there.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lovelock
--
Jakub Steiner
http://jimmac.musichall.cz

Máirín Duffy 01-04-2011 06:56 PM

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 19:04 -0500, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> When people are done discussing existence threats and all that (kidding, kidding ;), here's a few assets that might be a good starting point to play around the idea of Lovelock Ocean Pipes[1] while getting some influence from the upstream GNOME stripes. I don't think it works all too well for the wallpaper itself as it's way too busy, but I like the texture for all the rest -- Plymouth backdrop, gdm background, posters, DVD inlays etc.
>
> This isn't another external push to a specific direction. It's not to direct anyone anywhere. It's to inspire you guys to experiment. I'm pretty sure there's more to mine out of Lovelock. I can't identify with dismissal without actually trying it. In my view a boundary in which a designer has to be creative in is more empowering than given complete freedom. I can totally see these upstream influences incorporated into a distro with a completely different palette, like openSUSE. But that probably wouldn't be appropriate at all for me to try :)
>
> Ingredients -- http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/trees/master/wallpaper/seapipes
> Serving suggestions -- http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/24178/1/f15-seapipes?h=b9e52e
>
> The main project file requires Blender 2.5, but there's also individual bits rendered in the XCF if you only want to experiment there.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lovelock

Is anyone willing to post this as an official proposal here?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F15_Artwork_Wallpaper_Submissions

~m

Jakub Steiner 01-05-2011 10:39 AM

cross community influences without losing a brand?

> Is anyone willing to post this as an official proposal here?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F15_Artwork_Wallpaper_Submissions

Hi Mo,
this wasn't really meant as a proper submission, more of an incentive to create something based on the ocean pipes theme. I would be happy to see submissions based on the ideas or reusing the ingredients, but not really suggesting to use these as is.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner
http://jimmac.musichall.cz

Máirín Duffy 01-05-2011 01:27 PM

cross community influences without losing a brand?

Hi Jakub,

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 06:39 -0500, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> > Is anyone willing to post this as an official proposal here?
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F15_Artwork_Wallpaper_Submissions
>
> Hi Mo,
> this wasn't really meant as a proper submission, more of an incentive to create something based on the ocean pipes theme. I would be happy to see submissions based on the ideas or reusing the ingredients, but not really suggesting to use these as is.

Proposals aren't meant to be used as-is; rather they are more conceptual
in nature and are iterated through the alpha / beta / final release
process if chosen, so I think it would be a good idea if anyone has
interest in developing the idea to submit it as a formal proposal.

~m