Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Daniel Drummond

Default Tempe Fudcon T-shirt design

Hi all,

I volunteered to design a T-shirt for the Tempe Fudcon at
http://jefsblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/fedora-design-bounty-design-the-fudcon-tempe-2011-t-shirt/
and was advised to post to this list in order to obtain the necessary
artwork and whatever else I need. I am particularly looking for the
Fudcon logo, and the fedora symbol in svg format.

Thanks

Daniel Drummond

Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 11/05/2010 10:47 PM, Daniel Drummond wrote:

> I volunteered to design a T-shirt for the Tempe Fudcon at
> http://jefsblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/fedora-design-bounty-design-the-fudcon-tempe-2011-t-shirt/
> and was advised to post to this list in order to obtain the necessary
> artwork and whatever else I need. I am particularly looking for the
> Fudcon logo, and the fedora symbol in svg format.

The blog post provided an important number of resources and pointers, if
you need something specific ask for it. Or post your
concept/sketch/work-in-progress so we can provide feedback.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Jef van Schendel

2010/11/8 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>

On 11/05/2010 10:47 PM, Daniel Drummond wrote:

> I volunteered to design a T-shirt for the Tempe Fudcon at

> http://jefsblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/fedora-design-bounty-design-the-fudcon-tempe-2011-t-shirt/

> * and was advised to post to this list in order to obtain the necessary

> artwork and whatever else I need. I am particularly looking for the

> Fudcon logo, and the fedora symbol in svg format.

The blog post provided an important number of resources and pointers, if

you need something specific ask for it. Or post your

concept/sketch/work-in-progress so we can provide feedback.

Hi Nicu,

I asked him to post here mainly so Máirín could send him the logos.

Daniel: you can of course work ahead, if you've got any ideas or sketches feel free to share them. In the meantime, you can create an account [1] if you hadn't yet done so.

Jef

[1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Nicu Buculei

On 11/08/2010 02:52 PM, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> 2010/11/8 Nicu Buculei :
>
> The blog post provided an important number of resources and pointers, if
> you need something specific ask for it. Or post your
> concept/sketch/work-in-progress so we can provide feedback.
> Hi Nicu,
>
> I asked him to post here mainly so Máirín could send him the logos.

And you should know Mo would probably answer pointing to the logo@fp.o
address, which is the correct place to request them

If not using the queue, then me or you could equally provide the
files... but that will be losing track of the requests.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Ian Weller

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:20:06PM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> And you should know Mo would probably answer pointing to the logo@fp.o
> address, which is the correct place to request them
>
> If not using the queue, then me or you could equally provide the
> files... but that will be losing track of the requests.

Indeed, logos must be distributed through logo@fedoraproject.org.
Because the Fedora logo is a Red Hat trademark, there cannot be any
exceptions to this.

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Daniel Drummond

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 15:20 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 02:52 PM, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> > 2010/11/8 Nicu Buculei :
> >
> > The blog post provided an important number of resources and pointers, if
> > you need something specific ask for it. Or post your
> > concept/sketch/work-in-progress so we can provide feedback.
> > Hi Nicu,
> >
> > I asked him to post here mainly so Máirín could send him the logos.
>
> And you should know Mo would probably answer pointing to the logo@fp.o
> address, which is the correct place to request them
>
> If not using the queue, then me or you could equally provide the
> files... but that will be losing track of the requests.
>
> --
> nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/

I am unfamiliar with the Fedora way of doing things, I apologise. Here
is one design I have thought about. It is a modified version of the
flag of Arizona, replacing the star with the Fedora logo. This could be
placed on the back of the T-shirt, or the front, with the FUDcon Tempe
logo printed on the other side. As I don't yet have the official Fedora
logo or FUDcon logo, it is just a draft.

I like the blue of the flag, and the rays are representing the radiance
of Fedora and it's values. I have a small reservation - I am not sure
how Arizonians would react to this - I know many Americans have strong
feelings about flags.

Any comments/suggestions are welcomed.

Daniel Drummond

Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Nicu Buculei

On 11/08/2010 06:15 PM, Daniel Drummond wrote:

> I am unfamiliar with the Fedora way of doing things, I apologise. Here
> is one design I have thought about. It is a modified version of the
> flag of Arizona, replacing the star with the Fedora logo. This could be
> placed on the back of the T-shirt, or the front, with the FUDcon Tempe
> logo printed on the other side. As I don't yet have the official Fedora
> logo or FUDcon logo, it is just a draft.
>
> I like the blue of the flag, and the rays are representing the radiance
> of Fedora and it's values. I have a small reservation - I am not sure
> how Arizonians would react to this - I know many Americans have strong
> feelings about flags.

I find it too close to the design from 2008, used both in Boston
(http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/FUDcon/FUDcon%20Boston%202008/T-Shirts/)
and Brno
(http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/photos/fudcon2008brno/day1/159-img_4162.jpg).

I raised the same concern for the 2011 Panama FUDCon
(https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/167)

BTW, why are we working on different concepts for each FUDCon during a
year? I liked *a lot* how in 2008 and 2009 we had a general concept
which was customized for the location (USA and Europe).

Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Daniel Drummond

On 14 November 2010 21:54, Daniel Drummond <dmdrummondx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 November 2010 16:24, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
>> On 11/08/2010 06:15 PM, Daniel Drummond wrote:
>>>
>>> I am unfamiliar with the Fedora way of doing things, I apologise. *Here
>>> is one design I have thought about. *It is a modified version of the
>>> flag of Arizona, replacing the star with the Fedora logo. This could be
>>> placed on the back of the T-shirt, or the front, with the FUDcon Tempe
>>> logo printed on the other side. *As I don't yet have the official Fedora
>>> logo or FUDcon logo, it is just a draft.
>>>
>>> I like the blue of the flag, and the rays are representing the radiance
>>> of Fedora and it's values. *I have a small reservation - I am not sure
>>> how Arizonians would react to this - I know many Americans have strong
>>> feelings about flags.
>>
>> I find it too close to the design from 2008, used both in Boston
>> (http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/FUDcon/FUDcon%20Boston%202008/T-Shirts/)
>> and Brno
>> (http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/photos/fudcon2008brno/day1/159-img_4162.jpg).
>>
>> I raised the same concern for the 2011 Panama FUDCon
>> (https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/167)
>>
>> BTW, why are we working on different concepts for each FUDCon during a
>> year? I liked *a lot* how in 2008 and 2009 we had a general concept
>> which was customized for the location (USA and Europe).
>>
>> --
>> nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/

Another mock-up. This time I've based it on a black background, and
used incorporated a desert theme. I have tried to only use the
colours in the logo, but I got a little confused as the colours in the
logo that was sent to me are different to the palette given in the
usage guidelines at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines.

I am also going to pop to the irc to see if anyone is there for more
immediate feedback.

Daniel

Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Jef van Schendel

Another mock-up. *This time I've based it on a black background, and

used incorporated a desert theme. *I have tried to only use the

colours in the logo, but I got a little confused as the colours in the

logo that was sent to me are different to the palette given in the

usage guidelines at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines.

Excellent, looking good I think!

A few things things:

- I'm liking the style of the sun, but I fear it kind of clashes with the style of the rest of the scene. The sun is an abstract version of the real thing whereas the mountains and the cacti are look like they're drawn or scribbled. Perhaps we could also "scribble" the outline of the sun to make it fit in?

- An idea I had was to put the sun in the background. From what I've heard (never visited, so somebody stop me if I'm wrong! ), its sunsets is something Arizona is known for. Maybe we can create a similar effect? [1]

Does anyone else have any recommendations or ideas?

I am also going to pop to the irc to see if anyone is there for more

immediate feedback.

Great, hopefully I'll see you there.

Do you think you can make the meeting, tomorrow night?

Jef

[1] http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/temp/fudcontempe2schendje.svg

Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Clint Savage

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Jef van Schendel
<jefvanschendel@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/11/14 Daniel Drummond <dmdrummondx@gmail.com>
>>
>> Another mock-up. *This time I've based it on a black background, and
>> used incorporated a desert theme. *I have tried to only use the
>> colours in the logo, but I got a little confused as the colours in the
>> logo that was sent to me are different to the palette given in the
>> usage guidelines at
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines.
>
> Excellent, looking good I think!
>
> A few things things:
>
> - I'm liking the style of the sun, but I fear it kind of clashes with the
> style of the rest of the scene. The sun is an abstract version of the real
> thing whereas the mountains and the cacti are look like they're drawn or
> scribbled. Perhaps we could also "scribble" the outline of the sun to make
> it fit in?
>
> - An idea I had was to put the sun in the background. From what I've heard
> (never visited, so somebody stop me if I'm wrong! ), its sunsets is
> something Arizona is known for. Maybe we can create a similar effect? [1]
>
> Does anyone else have any recommendations or ideas?
>
>> I am also going to pop to the irc to see if anyone is there for more
>> immediate feedback.
>
> Great, hopefully I'll see you there.
>
> Do you think you can make the meeting, tomorrow night?
>
> Jef
>

> [1] http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/temp/fudcontempe2schendje.svg

While this isn't an official 'throw in my hat into the ring', I
created a design, which will need some attention, but I think looks
really good. It's attached as a png, but I do have the svg sources.

If you wanted to run with something like this, my initial feedback was
good, but I just won't have time to complete it in time for the
deadline.

Cheers,

Clint