Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Mirn Duffy

Default 19 Oct 2010 Design team meeting minutes

Hey everybody!

Thanks for another great meeting! Here's the minutes:

Minutes:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-design/2010-10-19/fedora-design.2010-10-19-19.01.html

Minutes (text):
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-design/2010-10-19/fedora-design.2010-10-19-19.01.txt

Log:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-design/2010-10-19/fedora-design.2010-10-19-19.01.log.html

Mo Summary:

Fedora 14 Release Party Poster
- Emichan showed us her draft and already has posted an updated version
based on feedback given during the meeting:
http://emichan.fedorapeople.org/release_14.png
http://emichan.fedorapeople.org/release_14.svg

- We also talked about reconfiguring the release party poster design to
fulfill ticket https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/164 and
Emichan is going to work on it

Fedora 14 misc

- We have been kicking butt and taking numbers as a team this past
release. We have 3 ninjas doing awesome work, Alexander did great work
on the countdown banners, Alexander and Marc also did great work on the
disc/sleeve artwork, Emichan rocked the release poster, Martin put
together the animated backgrounds files in time for release, and Fab and
pretty much the whole team got our first supplemental wallpapers pack
together and it looks awesome. We also have three new members in the
past month, Bryan, Felipe, and dottedfish.

- We did have an issue with the size of the animated wallpapers causing
some issues so it won't be set as default. One idea we discussed was
maybe trying for a partially-transparent wallpaper for F15, and doing
the time of day via gradient switches underneath. However, the slideshow
XML format doesn't support this. Now might be a good time to put in for
an RFE? One thing tho is GNOME 3 is going to be default for F15, so I'm
not sure if slideshows will be supported then.

RPG

- Mizmo was really bad and failed at putting a formal meeting together,
will try again next week.

- Nicu put together a nice starter requirements document for the RPG
widget:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-October/003411.html

- We went through the document and came up with some ideas:
- the RPG username should be pulled from the FAS IRC nick field. It's
user-editable in FAS - the example here was mizmo's FAS name is duffy,
but people know her better as mizmo, and the FAS name is not editable
but IRC nick is.
- Pantless avatars are okay because the base characters will be
pandas!
- We're going to keep this simple to start and stick with 5-6 base
panda variations and build out from there.
- We had some great outfit ideas such as a 3-piece suite monocle
panda, panda in a pretty dress, ninja panda, panda in overalls, panda
with a zony T-shirt, panda with wings accessory
- Some examples for inspiration we looked at included Sims 3,
avatar.yahoo.com, avatar.yahoo.co.jp, the playstation network widgets
(http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/mairin.png)
- Subtle animation might be cool for the characters but nothing over
the top like this
http://k.yimg.jp/images/avt12/anm_newcoordinate1_20101013_1f806580.gif
- we thought 120 x 120px like the hackergotchi would be a good size to
start
- each object should be available for each object, having objects
apply only to certain avatars will complicated the system so we should
avoid it

OTHER STUFF

- Dave reminded us that Libre Graphics Magazine didn't get Fedora
submissions for issue 1 but can take them for issue 2. One idea was for
Mizmo to interview Emichan, another was for Mizmo to write something
about teaching Girl Scouts Gimp & Inkscape!

- We worked with Felipe (WaspStung) and dottedfish and hooked them up
with tasks from the Design Team queue. WaspStung will be working on a
Lekhonee logo and dottedfish will be working on a Fedora podcast logo.

~m

Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 AM
"Fabian A. Scherschel"

Sounds cool! Sorry I couldn't be there...
BTW, I pimped the team a lot on This Week in Fedora 15 and also tried to recruit some people...
http://frostbitemedia.org/node/8

See you at the next meeting!
Fab

Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 04:05:20 am Máir*n Duffy wrote:
> Hey everybody!
>
> - We did have an issue with the size of the animated wallpapers causing
> some issues so it won't be set as default. One idea we discussed was
> maybe trying for a partially-transparent wallpaper for F15, and doing
> the time of day via gradient switches underneath. However, the slideshow
> XML format doesn't support this. Now might be a good time to put in for
> an RFE? One thing tho is GNOME 3 is going to be default for F15, so I'm
> not sure if slideshows will be supported then.

I think there's time to completely throw this XML. I was thinking about Plasma
implementation but the overall XML design is bad, same implementation (maybe
it changed) is really hackish. I can dig all comments from Plasma guys (or
better aseigo ) to not repeat mistakes. It would be great to have just one
theme for both Gnome/Shell/Plasma desktops in Fedora = less work for packagers,
more freedom. On the other hand - Plasma is somehow overengineered and proper
implementation there is nightmare too

But for the futere - Shell is going to be scriptable, Plasma is scriptable (both
using JavaScript) and this offers very nice possibilities to play with
background! Any ideas? ;-)

Thanks for transcripts! Bad time for me to catch meetings

Jaroslav
--
Jaroslav Řezn*k <jreznik@redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275