-   -   Fedora 14 Sleeve Artwork (New variant) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/437272-fedora-14-sleeve-artwork-new-variant.html)

Alexander Smirnov 10-08-2010 01:28 PM

Fedora 14 Sleeve Artwork (New variant)

Hi team!

I created new variant sleeve artwork for Fedora 14 CD/DVD media.
I used mark's text (it's like me).

All png files (live cd (32/64bit), installation dvd (32/64bit) and kde live spin cd (32/64bit) palaced here [1].

[1] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora14/media-artwork/disk-sleeves/png/

What do you think?

Thanks,
Alexander.

Misha Shnurapet 10-08-2010 03:08 PM

08.10.2010, 22:28, "Alexander Smirnov" <inkscaper@gmail.com>:
> Hi team!
>
> I created new variant sleeve artwork for Fedora 14 CD/DVD media.
> I used mark's text (it's like me).
>
> All png files (live cd (32/64bit), installation dvd (32/64bit) and kde live spin cd (32/64bit) palaced here [1].
>
> [1] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora14/media-artwork/disk-sleeves/png/
>
> What do you think?

I think these are great. The arch corner looks prettier on KDE version, could you use the same light blue on all variants? The crowd of Fedora people, I would make the picture bigger so it goes beyond the edges.

A safe margin for the text would be 3 mm (1/8 in) off an edge (for mass production).

--
Best regards,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Shnurapet

Máirín Duffy 10-08-2010 03:13 PM

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 17:28 +0400, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> Hi team!
>
> I created new variant sleeve artwork for Fedora 14 CD/DVD media.
> I used mark's text (it's like me).
>
> All png files (live cd (32/64bit), installation dvd (32/64bit) and kde
> live spin cd (32/64bit) palaced here [1].
>
> [1] -
> http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora14/media-artwork/disk-sleeves/png/
>
> What do you think?

Alexander I think this is brilliant.

~m

Marc Stewart 10-08-2010 04:06 PM

Fedora 14 Sleeve Artwork (New variant)

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 17:28 +0400, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> I created new variant sleeve artwork for Fedora 14 CD/DVD media.
> http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora14/media-artwork/disk-sleeves/png/

Looking good, Alexander. Combining the crowd with the join link is
particularly great.

A couple of tiny suggestions that might make them even better:

If you put a line break after "All rights reserved.", the trademarks
line is about the same length as the first, so it looks a little more
even.

"Intel-Compatible" should have a small "c" (i.e., "Intel-compatible") to
match the lower case of "bit computers". This is how it appeared on
older sleeves. Somehow the last couple acquired the capital, though I
don't understand why.

Also a question for everyone:
Do we really need to state the minimum requirements? 400MHz Pentium II
processors are over 11 years old. Surely any owners of such a computer
would, by now, know what it's likely to be able to run. Also, minimum
requirements confuse people. I've lost count of the number of times I've
been asked "Does this mean my computer's good enough?" Since the
necessary hardware is so basic, the answer for Fedora is almost
certainly "Yes", so why confuse anyone unnecessarily?

If everyone decides that, yes, we should still display minimum
requirements, then they should at least be correct. A P2 is not going to
be able to run any 64-bit version of anything. If I recall correctly,
the minimum requirements for 64-bit would be a Pentium 4. Does anyone
have any accurate testing data?

Marc

Dan Beard 10-08-2010 04:35 PM

Fedora 14 Sleeve Artwork (New variant)

I created new variant sleeve artwork for Fedora 14 CD/DVD media.

I used mark's text (it's like me).

All png files (live cd (32/64bit), installation dvd (32/64bit) and kde
live spin cd (32/64bit) palaced here [1].

[1] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora14/media-artwork/disk-sleeves/png/

What do you think?

Thanks,

Alexander.

I think you need to alter the text requirements of the 64 bit version
to include the need for a 64 bit processor.

Emily Dirsh 10-08-2010 07:52 PM

Fedora 14 Sleeve Artwork (New variant)

These look really good Alexander! I like the crowd image on the back,
and the reflection on the front is really nice.

wrt the lower right corner - I think the contrast provided by the
lighter blue looks a good bit better, maybe we can play with some other
way of differentiating between the kde and standard release? Also, the
spacing of the logo(s) and the 14 seems a bit too far apart. I think if
they're spaced closer together it'll look more cohesive.
Also, on the standard release covers, it looks a bit redundant to have
the fedora logo twice in such close proximity, so maybe we should remove
the small top logo?

> Also a question for everyone:
> Do we really need to state the minimum requirements? 400MHz Pentium II
> processors are over 11 years old. Surely any owners of such a computer
> would, by now, know what it's likely to be able to run. Also, minimum
> requirements confuse people. I've lost count of the number of times I've
> been asked "Does this mean my computer's good enough?" Since the
> necessary hardware is so basic, the answer for Fedora is almost
> certainly "Yes", so why confuse anyone unnecessarily?

I agree - I don't think the minimum requirements are very helpful. It's
also not very clear what minimum requirements means - is it the minimum
needed to boot or is it the minimum needed to be reasonably usable? It
also doesn't address disk space requirements or minimum graphics needed.
Personally I think we should just leave it off, as this is very
old/basic hardware, and there are many people who won't even know what
kind of hardware they're running or how to find out. The only exception
may be indicating the requirement of a 64-bit processor for the 64-bit
version (maybe with 'if you're not sure, use the 32-bit CD').

Jef van Schendel 10-08-2010 11:02 PM

Fedora 14 Sleeve Artwork (New variant)

Nice, Alexander!

> Also a question for everyone:
> Do we really need to state the minimum requirements? 400MHz Pentium II
> processors are over 11 years old. Surely any owners of such a computer
> would, by now, know what it's likely to be able to run. Also, minimum
> requirements confuse people. I've lost count of the number of times I've
> been asked "Does this mean my computer's good enough?" Since the
> necessary hardware is so basic, the answer for Fedora is almost
> certainly "Yes", so why confuse anyone unnecessarily?

Agreed, though I have no idea if it's required or not. I think that by
removing the "requirements" text, the Live and KDE sleeves will get
some much needed space. I think this is why I like the layout on the
Installation DVD better, the backside has a little more breathing
space. We could also bring it down a bit, or widen the text, so the
top and left margins are the same length.

I also thought the same thing as Emily - having the Fedora logo
displayed twice is a bit redundant.

Man, I'm agreeing a lot tonight, it's a bit boring. :)

- Jef

PS could you provide the sources too, so we can all play around with
it a little bit? It's easier than explaining these things through
words. I tried looking in the /svg/ folder but there was nothing there
(it's also possible that you linked to them before, but I missed it).

Misha Shnurapet 10-09-2010 03:47 AM

09.10.2010, 04:52, "Emily Dirsh" <emily@fightingcrane.com>:
>> *Also a question for everyone:
>> *Do we really need to state the minimum requirements? 400MHz Pentium II
>> *processors are over 11 years old. Surely any owners of such a computer
>> *would, by now, know what it's likely to be able to run. Also, minimum
>> *requirements confuse people. I've lost count of the number of times I've
>> *been asked "Does this mean my computer's good enough?" Since the
>> *necessary hardware is so basic, the answer for Fedora is almost
>> *certainly "Yes", so why confuse anyone unnecessarily?
>
> I agree - I don't think the minimum requirements are very helpful. It's

I think this is *very* important to state the minimum requirements on the package.
1. One can compare the minimum requirements of two products and see how is Fedora lighter and faster.
2. Seeing how much one's own configuration is above the required minimum one can judge about the performance he is likely to get.
3. Less people wondering why doesn't it work (if it doesn't) and make wrongful judgements about the software quality.

> also not very clear what minimum requirements means - is it the minimum
> needed to boot or is it the minimum needed to be reasonably usable? It

It has always and everywhere been the minimum to be reasonably usable.

> also doesn't address disk space requirements or minimum graphics needed.
> Personally I think we should just leave it off, as this is very
> old/basic hardware, and there are many people who won't even know what
> kind of hardware they're running or how to find out.

Unfortunately, I can't agree with you here either. People trying Fedora in my country are mostly geeks, and they will evaluate its competitiveness against others before even making a decision to try it. And many others still run old hardware.

However, I do think these requirements need to be updated and added to. What we have now may not reflect the actual status.

Alexander Smirnov 10-11-2010 12:37 PM

Fedora 14 Sleeve Artwork (New variant)

Hi team!

Thank you all for feedback.

I made changes based on your wishes.

Front cover :
1) Added aplication group icons

2) Changed right down area color for installation DVD and base live desktop CD.

Back cover:
1) Small correction text in header (for Marc).
2) Refreshed minimum requirements based on our website [1] and release notes [2].

Added XFCE and LXDE Desktop Live CD.

All work palaced here [3].

[1] - http://stg.fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
[2] - http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Welcome_to_Fedora_14.html#sect-Release_Notes-Hardware_Overview

[3] - http://inkscaper.fedorapeople.org/Fedora14/media-artwork/disk-sleeves/png/

P.S: Jef i don't have free space at the moment. SVG sources is very big.

Thanks,
Alexander.