-   -   The Fedora RPG (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-design-team/436067-fedora-rpg.html)

"Nicu Buculei" 10-05-2010 08:21 PM

The Fedora RPG

After we talked on today's IRC meeting about possible Fedora RPG, I
decided to start the ball rolling by exposing my personal vision about it.
I focused only on the "gameplay", not on the implementation details.

The Fedora RPG

The game is centered around a rectangular badge showing the "player"
status, which can be easily embedded in a website/blog/etc.

The badge layout is as follow:
? at the top the user name/nick and general rank;
? on one side the avatar with the current set of customizations,
customizations are enabled by *honor* points
? in the middle the list of classes and levels, classes are SIGs
membership, levels are enabled by *experience* points and reflect activity
inside the SIG
? at the bottom a list of medals, enabled by special quests

The name/nick is user chosen, preferable the IRC nick/FAS name, the rank
is enables by a sum of experience points, honor points and medals.
Example: Wizard Martin

As an usual Fedora contributor is member in more than one SIG, an usual
character of the game will basically be a multiclass character. The level
is determined by experience points, earned automatically from activity:
bugzilla, trac, koji etc. - closing tickets, submitting patches, creating
packages, writing wiki pages, documentation and so on.
Example: Martin is a level 2 packager, level 4 designer and level 1
desktop developer

The avatar is a panda, from a selection of initial shapes and genders with
customization enabled by honor points. Customization can be items like
hats, glasses, guitar, laptop, tie, can be a selection of backgrounds like
bamboo, data room, disco, or can be the color of the avatar: blue panda,
pink panda, green panda, etc. Each customization has a cost in honor
points.
Honor points are received from another players for activity inside the
project: helping on a mailing list, writing a good blog post on planet,
delivering a cool presentation at FUDCon or being the last man standing at
the release party.
Example: Martin is a Blue Panda, wearing a pink cap, dark sunglasses and
having a telescope in hand.

The medals are received from accomplishing quests: winning the bi-weekly
Design Bounty, bringing pizza at a release party, organizing a FAD, etc.

The experience points are earned automatically from the infrastructure,
the honor points can be donated by anyone having a FAS account and medals
can be granted only by players with a certain level of experience
(SIG/team leaders?).

When a player starts the game he can choose the gender of the avatar (we
have both male and female contributors), the general shape (we should
provide at least 5-6 general body types to avoid monotony). The classes
are read from FAS group membership.
Is also possible to select the badge color and maybe the graphic style
(classic, modern, cartoon, sketch, etc.)

Dave Crossland 10-05-2010 08:26 PM

The Fedora RPG

Hi!

Thanks for that Nicu :)

For those not in the irc meeting, I recommended this Google Tech Talk
on applying game dymanics to programs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUt-163gZI

Cheers
Dave

Stephen John Smoogen 10-05-2010 09:02 PM

The Fedora RPG

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 14:21, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> After we talked on today's IRC meeting about possible Fedora RPG, I
> decided to start the ball rolling by exposing my personal vision about it.
> I focused only on the "gameplay", not on the implementation details.

Cool will the rules be CC'd. I can help with implementation details.
Are we looking at a board top game, one that can be played with dice
or want to keep things using computer apps :).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

Nicu Buculei 10-06-2010 05:35 AM

The Fedora RPG

On 10/06/2010 12:02 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 14:21, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> After we talked on today's IRC meeting about possible Fedora RPG, I
>> decided to start the ball rolling by exposing my personal vision about it.
>> I focused only on the "gameplay", not on the implementation details.
>
> Cool will the rules be CC'd. I can help with implementation details.
> Are we looking at a board top game, one that can be played with dice
> or want to keep things using computer apps :).

Hmmm.... the idea was for a MMO game played mostly inside the Fedora
infrastructure, but if it get successful, we may try a table top version :D

As for the rules, the team won't *ever* create something with a non-Free
license, of course.

Mirn Duffy 10-11-2010 02:52 PM

The Fedora RPG

Here's a whenisgood link to figure out when our meeting will be on the
RPG, please fill it out - it's quick & painless.

http://whenisgood.net/fxpffs

~m