Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Chris Jones

Default Resignation of Design Suite Spin Co-Maintainer

I am going to resign from my position as Co-Maintainer of the Fedora
Design Suite. Effective immediately.

There are a couple of reasons for my immediate resignation for which I
will point out in as short form as I can and without pointing fingers
and name calling. I will try to remain as clear and professional as I
can.

Firstly, I have some ongoing health issues that are currently stopping
me from dedicating the time required to really make a difference in the
current status and direction of the Design Suite Spin.

Also, I have been generating a bitter frustration within myself for the
way things are handled within the development of the Fedora Design Suite
Spin. And I have been keeping these niggles to myself as a means of
keeping the peace. So before I blow up and say something I regret to
anyone, I feel the right thing to do is step aside from my position of
Co-Maintainer and open it up for someone else who may wish to fill the
void. With the consultation of the Spin Owner Sebastian Dziallas. For
which you can contact on sdz@fedoraproject.org for any more information.

One of my frustration is the efforts of communication between the three
Owners, Maintainers and Co-Maintainers. I feel there is too much in the
difference of opinion between the three of us and feel that we can not
get in agreement on the big issues on what make a real difference to the
user experience of the Design Suite.

I have a vision for the Design Suite and think it has not only great
future potential as a Fedora Spin, but also greater potential in its
current form. But that's where all the differences of opinions lie.

But without dragging this out any more than what is necessary, I
officially demote myself to a back role within the Development Team.
What that role will be, I am still yet to decide. Probably a consultancy
role of some description.

In addition to the aforementioned details, I have took it upon myself to
update the wiki and introduce a new section to the wiki under the
"Owner(s)" etc. section. You will see I have added a section titled
"Other Positions". In the near future there will be positions added here
which give a bit of an insight of who holds what position(s) within the
Development Team and what their official title is.
I think this can be a good thing, because I have been thinking about
this for quite some time. And at current, unless I am otherwise
mistaken, there's no clear indication of such users details, positions,
roles etc.

Please do not add yourself to this section yet as we need community
consultation on what positions we want displayed here.

And finally, I will also be updating my wiki page to reflect my
involvements and changes so nothing is misleading as such.

This is by no means good bye for me and my Fedora and Fedora Design
Suite Spin Development contributions.
It's simply a change of position to something more suited to my current
choices and availabilities.

Kind regards

foxmulder881@fedoraproject.org

--
Chris Jones

PHOTO RESOLUTIONS - Photo - Graphic - Web
ABN: 98 317 740 240
E: chrisjones@comcen.com.au
W: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com

Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 10/05/2010 05:15 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

> One of my frustration is the efforts of communication between the three
> Owners, Maintainers and Co-Maintainers. I feel there is too much in the
> difference of opinion between the three of us and feel that we can not
> get in agreement on the big issues on what make a real difference to the
> user experience of the Design Suite.

I think it would have been helpful if all of you sat down together (at
the weekly IRC Design Team meetings would be a perfect opportunity),
talk and fine tune your vision. I didn't see such talk even on the
mailing list.
We are a team and we are supposed to work together and understand each
other, having some of us growing frustrations with the team or its
projects is something we should avoid when possible.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Pierros Papadeas

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 05:15 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
>>
>> One of my frustration is the efforts of communication between the three
>> Owners, Maintainers and Co-Maintainers. I feel there is too much in the
>> difference of opinion between the three of us and feel that we can not
>> get in agreement on the big issues on what make a real difference to the
>> user experience of the Design Suite.
>
> I think it would have been helpful if all of you sat down together (at
> the weekly IRC Design Team meetings would be a perfect opportunity),
> talk and fine tune your vision. I didn't see such talk even on the
> mailing list.
> We are a team and we are supposed to work together and understand each
> other, having some of us growing frustrations with the team or its
> projects is something we should avoid when possible.

I really feel that I should apologize for not being responsive the
past couple of months, as I have tremendous pressure from my school
and job. I am feeling deeply sorry about that. Nicu's idea is right
(as always) we need to figure out the vision and move forward.

Chris once again sorry for letting you down, I think that I can manage
to be more responsive in the future. If not I will step back and give
someone else the place to shine

Pierros Papadeas
PGP key: 0x6130DBF8
http://pierros.papadeas.gr
pierros@papadeas.gr
liknus @ GRnet , Freenode

Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Chris Jones

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:37 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> I think it would have been helpful if all of you sat down together (at
> the weekly IRC Design Team meetings would be a perfect opportunity),
> talk and fine tune your vision. I didn't see such talk even on the
> mailing list.
> We are a team and we are supposed to work together and understand each
> other, having some of us growing frustrations with the team or its
> projects is something we should avoid when possible.

I should probably have mentioned that all three of us did have email
contact and our own meetings away from the mailing list and out of
public discussion.

So there is and was actually more discussion that what there may appear
to be if you're going through the archives.

Cheers Nicu.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Chris Jones

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:39 +0200, Pierros Papadeas wrote:

> I really feel that I should apologize for not being responsive the
> past couple of months, as I have tremendous pressure from my school
> and job. I am feeling deeply sorry about that. Nicu's idea is right
> (as always) we need to figure out the vision and move forward.
>
> Chris once again sorry for letting you down, I think that I can manage
> to be more responsive in the future. If not I will step back and give
> someone else the place to shine

No worries. Like I said in my email. It is not one single issue which
has prompted my decision but rather several of them.

I also understand how busy everyone is as I am very busy myself. And
combining it all with my bad health, it makes things hard as you can
imagine.

Anyway, after a short break for other commitments that I have, I'll
return again soon in a new position and hopefully contribute in a more
productive manner.

Regards