Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Máirín Duffy

Default How do I install Design Suite on top of existing Fedora 13?

Hi C.F.!

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 17:56 -0700, C. F. Howlett wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I just discovered the Design Suite today. I've already got Fedora
> installed. How do I add the Suite to the existing platform? Thank you.

Well... I know this isn't the neatest or easiest thing to do, but this
should get you the equivalent on top of base Fedora, if you type on a
command line:

yum install agave blender entangle fontforge fontmatrix gimp
gimp-*-plugin GREYCstoration-gimp mathmap inkscape mypaint
nautilus-image-converter optipng rawtherapee scribus shotwell
synfigstudio ufraw xournal jokosher pitivi gtk-recordmydesktop

~m

Old 09-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/23/2010 04:05 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 17:56 -0700, C. F. Howlett wrote:
>> I just discovered the Design Suite today. I've already got Fedora
>> installed. How do I add the Suite to the existing platform? Thank you.
>
> Well... I know this isn't the neatest or easiest thing to do, but this
> should get you the equivalent on top of base Fedora, if you type on a
> command line:
>
> yum install agave blender entangle fontforge fontmatrix gimp
> gimp-*-plugin GREYCstoration-gimp mathmap inkscape mypaint
> nautilus-image-converter optipng rawtherapee scribus shotwell
> synfigstudio ufraw xournal jokosher pitivi gtk-recordmydesktop

Maybe we should look intro providing a:
yum groupinstall design-suite

Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Gianluca Sforna

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Maybe we should look intro providing a:
> yum groupinstall design-suite

May I suggest "yum groupinstall design-tools" as a better alternative?

I could help with the "comps" part (e.g. actually creating the package
group) if needed, then you may just add @design-tools in the kickstart
file instead of explicitly listing all the packages

Not sure if new groups need to be approved by some committee, though

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Chris Jones

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 08:58 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Maybe we should look intro providing a:
> yum groupinstall design-suite
>
> --

Can we please not do this and leave things as they currently are as
there are more pressing and immediate issues that have to be and should
be dealt with.

Like the ISO size which is still above the ~700MB limit!

Regards

--
Chris Jones

PHOTO RESOLUTIONS - Photo - Graphic - Web
ABN: 98 317 740 240
E: chrisjones@comcen.com.au
W: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/23/2010 01:15 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 08:58 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>> Maybe we should look intro providing a:
>> yum groupinstall design-suite
>
> Can we please not do this and leave things as they currently are as
> there are more pressing and immediate issues that have to be and should
> be dealt with.
>
> Like the ISO size which is still above the ~700MB limit!

Defining comps is parallel to creating the spin and does not affect its
size in any way. Also, last week at FUDCon we had the session about the
Design Suite (Pierros should give a detailed report) where the agreement
was 1GB is a sensible target, the CD is too small and too slow.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Chris Jones

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 14:02 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Defining comps is parallel to creating the spin and does not affect its
> size in any way. Also, last week at FUDCon we had the session about the
> Design Suite (Pierros should give a detailed report) where the agreement
> was 1GB is a sensible target, the CD is too small and too slow.

Yeah I'm still waiting to see that report from Pierros actually.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 21:05 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Well... I know this isn't the neatest or easiest thing to do, but this
> should get you the equivalent on top of base Fedora, if you type on a
> command line:
>
> yum install agave blender entangle fontforge fontmatrix gimp
> gimp-*-plugin GREYCstoration-gimp mathmap inkscape mypaint
> nautilus-image-converter optipng rawtherapee scribus shotwell
> synfigstudio ufraw xournal jokosher pitivi gtk-recordmydesktop

Hello,

Would it be overkill to just create a meta package that pulls in these
packages as dependencies?

"yum install design-suite" will then install them all?

If this is the list of packages required, I could make a design-suite
package and submit a review request too.
--
Thanks!
Regards,

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha

"FranciscoD"

Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Chris Jones

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 14:55 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would it be overkill to just create a meta package that pulls in these
> packages as dependencies?
>
> "yum install design-suite" will then install them all?
>
> If this is the list of packages required, I could make a design-suite
> package and submit a review request too.
> --
> Thanks!
> Regards,
> Ankur

Please all be advised that this is on the drawing boards, but no final
decision has been made yet.

Please be patient.

Regards

Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 20:26 +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> Please all be advised that this is on the drawing boards, but no final
> decision has been made yet.
>
> Please be patient.

Just putting this out here:

The meta package doesn't have to be included in the media. It will just
make installing the design suite easier for users, over the internet
etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Dave Crossland

Hi,

On 25 September 2010 12:39, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@gmail.com> wrote:
> The meta package doesn't have to be included in the media. It will just
> make installing the design suite easier for users, over the internet
> etc.

+1

'groupinstall' or 'meta package' doesn't matter.

I agree that if someone already runs Fedora and wants to jump into a
design task, its good to have _1_ command to get set, and this is
related but different to the 'design spin' task.

Cheers
Dave