Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Supplemental Wallpapers Package

Hi all,

I've finaly found some time to work on the supplemental wallpapers
pacakge. Here's the result for early testing:
http://mso.fedorapeople.org/packages/F14/RPMS/

The git commit it's based on is here:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=design-team.git;a=commit;h=d6bbd7a72f6e52aa98b68865eb5adc f597b6b0ce

What I'd like from you to review before I push it to fedora is:
1. The Attribution file. It gets installed with the -single package
which is required by both -gnome and -kde
2. The .desktop files -- there's some attribution as well, I might
have make an error here and there
3. The desktop-backgrounds-lauglin-extras.xml -- the attribution info
I tried to add does not show in background properties and I don't know
whether it's my fault or whether it isn't supported. Plus, again, I
might have made a mistake when filling it out.
4. Two images were left out from Marc's slideshow XML [1] -- Oh
Tomorrow I’m Alone and Thou Apocalypse by Hamed Saber so I left them
out as well. Was that because they're licensing wasn't verified yet?

Plus, I went ahead and sanitized the filenames a bit...

Thanks,
Martin

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Marc Stewart

Hi Martin,

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> 4. Two images were left out from Marc's slideshow XML [1] -- Oh
> Tomorrow I’m Alone and Thou Apocalypse by Hamed Saber so I left them
> out as well. Was that because they're licensing wasn't verified yet?
Got it in one. At the time those images weren't verified, but Nicu wrote
yesterday that they now have been...

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 13:26 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> He replied today, was offline for objective reasons and he is a long
> time Linux user and glad to contribute back. I think we can and have
> to time to add those two images in a revision of the package.
...so it's probably worth adding them in before the push.

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Plus, I went ahead and sanitized the filenames a bit...
And I've updated the XML file to match, including its own filename. I've
added the two new images as:
thou_apocalypse.jpg; and
alone.jpg
to avoid lots of full stops and apostrophes.
New file at:
http://marcstewart.fedorapeople.org/f14/supplemental/laughlin-extras.xml

Marc

Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Martin Sourada

Hi Marc,

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:36 +0100, Marc Stewart wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > 4. Two images were left out from Marc's slideshow XML [1] -- Oh
> > Tomorrow I’m Alone and Thou Apocalypse by Hamed Saber so I left them
> > out as well. Was that because they're licensing wasn't verified yet?
> Got it in one. At the time those images weren't verified, but Nicu wrote
> yesterday that they now have been...
>
> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 13:26 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > He replied today, was offline for objective reasons and he is a long
> > time Linux user and glad to contribute back. I think we can and have
> > to time to add those two images in a revision of the package.
> ...so it's probably worth adding them in before the push.
>
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Plus, I went ahead and sanitized the filenames a bit...
> And I've updated the XML file to match, including its own filename. I've
> added the two new images as:
> thou_apocalypse.jpg; and
> alone.jpg
> to avoid lots of full stops and apostrophes.
> New file at:
> http://marcstewart.fedorapeople.org/f14/supplemental/laughlin-extras.xml

Cool, thanks for the quick response and update.

Pushed to git in:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=design-team.git;a=commit;h=f62dad84e0b5d78b7c8de5c8ffaa81 a3d2e4fcf5

Updated packages in:

Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Emily Dirsh

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've finaly found some time to work on the supplemental wallpapers
> pacakge. Here's the result for early testing:
> http://mso.fedorapeople.org/packages/F14/RPMS/

Thanks Martin!

> What I'd like from you to review before I push it to fedora is:
> 1. The Attribution file. It gets installed with the -single package
> which is required by both -gnome and -kde

There are a few issues with the attribution here:
1. On Autumn Colors, the Author should be listed as B. Katz not
Joisey Showa and please include his blog
(http://www.joiseyshowaa.com)
2. 'Mount Bator and Mount Sumeru in the back in Bali' is actually
titled Sunrise on Tengger Caldera and the author's flickr name
is jmhullot not imhullot
3. On Dutch Skies, Bas Lammers email address (bslmmrs@yahoo) is
invalid, I'd just remove it.
4. On Seneca Lake, please list the author as Alex Wolcott.

> 2. The .desktop files -- there's some attribution as well, I might
> have make an error here and there

Basically, this has the same issues as the attribution file
1. laughlin-autumn_colors.desktop, author should be listed as B.
Katz
2. laughlin-bali.desktop, author is jmhullot on flickr, not
imhullot
3. laughlin-seneca_lake.desktop, author should be Alex Wolcott

> 3. The desktop-backgrounds-lauglin-extras.xml -- the attribution info
> I tried to add does not show in background properties and I don't know
> whether it's my fault or whether it isn't supported. Plus, again, I
> might have made a mistake when filling it out.

I think the chooser widget only supports showing a limited amount of
information, so it's not your fault . What Nicu, Mo, and I discussed
was including attribution information in the image name, so instead of
e.g.:
<name>Autumn Colors</name>
we would have:
<name>Autumn Colors by B. Katz (www.joiseyshowaa.com)</name>

It's not as elegant, but it gets the job done.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Martin Sourada

Hi Emily,

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 17:34 -0400, Emily Dirsh wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've finaly found some time to work on the supplemental wallpapers
> > pacakge. Here's the result for early testing:
> > http://mso.fedorapeople.org/packages/F14/RPMS/
>
> Thanks Martin!
>
> > What I'd like from you to review before I push it to fedora is:
> > 1. The Attribution file. It gets installed with the -single package
> > which is required by both -gnome and -kde
>
> There are a few issues with the attribution here:
> 1. On Autumn Colors, the Author should be listed as B. Katz not
> Joisey Showa and please include his blog
> (http://www.joiseyshowaa.com)
> 2. 'Mount Bator and Mount Sumeru in the back in Bali' is actually
> titled Sunrise on Tengger Caldera and the author's flickr name
> is jmhullot not imhullot
> 3. On Dutch Skies, Bas Lammers email address (bslmmrs@yahoo) is
> invalid, I'd just remove it.
> 4. On Seneca Lake, please list the author as Alex Wolcott.
>
> > 2. The .desktop files -- there's some attribution as well, I might
> > have make an error here and there
>
> Basically, this has the same issues as the attribution file
> 1. laughlin-autumn_colors.desktop, author should be listed as B.
> Katz
> 2. laughlin-bali.desktop, author is jmhullot on flickr, not
> imhullot
> 3. laughlin-seneca_lake.desktop, author should be Alex Wolcott
>
> > 3. The desktop-backgrounds-lauglin-extras.xml -- the attribution info
> > I tried to add does not show in background properties and I don't know
> > whether it's my fault or whether it isn't supported. Plus, again, I
> > might have made a mistake when filling it out.
>
> I think the chooser widget only supports showing a limited amount of
> information, so it's not your fault . What Nicu, Mo, and I discussed
> was including attribution information in the image name, so instead of
> e.g.:
> <name>Autumn Colors</name>
> we would have:
> <name>Autumn Colors by B. Katz (www.joiseyshowaa.com)</name>
>
> It's not as elegant, but it gets the job done.

I've already said it on IRC, but thanks for the review! Since the
package has been already submitted as update I'll include the fix in
next release. As for the editting -- the KDE stuff (*.desktop) works as
expected (i.e. wallpaper name and author is displayed), so only the
mistakes need correcting, for gnome all what might need fixing for
better attribution is in desktop-backgrounds-laughlin-extras.

Martin