Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 PM

Default Beta wallpaper revision

I think we can use it. It looks nice.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Smirnov" <inkscaper@gmail.com>
To: "Fedora Design Team" <design-team@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 6:49:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Design-team] Beta wallpaper revision

I love it.* Fantastic colors!!!

2010/9/14 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:18 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Do you think this is something we could use for beta? Or is it the wrong

> direction?

> (source is: http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%

> 20Release%20Themes/F14/Wallpaper/F14-2400x15363.xcf )

It might help to link the actual wallpaper, lol:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-beta-wallpaper-mizmo-3.png

~m

Alexander.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Victor Hugo Borges

Yeah, its pretty good!

I think we can use it. It looks nice.
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:18 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Do you think this is something we could use for beta? Or is it the wrong

> direction?

> (source is: http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%

> 20Release%20Themes/F14/Wallpaper/F14-2400x15363.xcf )

It might help to link the actual wallpaper, lol:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-beta-wallpaper-mizmo-3.png

~m

Alexander.

Atenciosamente, V.H.Borges.

http://vhborges.tk

Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Cata

If you get out the object stuff and just let the flares , will be ok .

2010/9/14 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 09:22 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

>> > It might help to link the actual wallpaper, lol:
>> >
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-beta-wallpaper-mizmo-3.png
>>
>> My main problem here is with the bright areas being too bright so they
>> lose details, when this happen with one of my photos I get "damn! I
>> borked it with overexposure", change the settings and shoot again (if
>> there is something left to shoot, else just delete it).
>>
>> But I like the concept and would like the image if it is darker and have
>> more details visible.
>>
> I share exactly the same sentiment and I also fear in its current state
> it would not be very good usability wise. As I already said in other
> thread, I like the colouring and amount of details of this one:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-dark.png
>
> But yeah, I like the concept as well.
>
> Martin
>
> PS: Sorry, if I sent this mail multiple times, evoultion is crashing
> for me when sending emails, but I cannot find it in the archives, so
> hopefully this is the first time you're receiving it.

My sites:
http://catalin-festila.blogspot.com -about me
http://tv.free-tutorials.org - video tutorials
http://python-catalin.blogspot.com - my python blog

Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Emily Dirsh

Thanks for all the feedback guys! It's really great! Taking
everyone's comments into account I made a new! improved! revised
wallpaper. I also did a dark version for Martin.

Here's the links:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-light-rev2.png

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-rev2-dark.png

Unfortunately, I didn't get them done in time for the meeting today, or
to get into beta, but I did want to share them with everyone.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Kris Thomsen

Emily, I loooove! the dark one - but can you try making something
without the lens-flare? I don't like them

// Kris

Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/15/2010 12:17 AM, Kris Thomsen wrote:
> Emily, I loooove! the dark one - but can you try making something
> without the lens-flare? I don't like them

I am in agreement with Kris, the dark version is beautiful but the flare
is put of place.

Interesting to see the two approaches based on the same concept, this
one from Emily very soft and smooth and Mo's proposal, strong and energetic.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 AM
"Fabian A. Scherschel"

Wow.... Really great work going on here. I really love Mo's new version and I think it's nearly perfect but I still think we need something in the middle of all those emanating rays and sparks. A hole there looks out of place, IMO.

Fab

Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Marc Stewart

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 08:27 +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> Wow.... Really great work going on here. I really love Mo's new
> version and I think it's nearly perfect but I still think we need
> something in the middle of all those emanating rays and sparks. A hole
> there looks out of place, IMO.
I like the void. I think it fits better with the emergence concept, too.
Emergent properties appear in unexpected ways due to the complex
interactions of a system, and therefore don't appear to have an obvious
source. Consequently, I think a hole provides a better visual metaphor.

But then I don't see it purely as emanating rays; I see solid structures
in there, like looking down on a city full of skyscrapers and
searchlights, or into a kaleidoscope. So, for me, the hole is just
equivalent to the road, or the end of the tube; I don't expect anything
to necessarily be there.

Of course, if someone made a wallpaper that had something in that space,
and it was an improvement, I'd support it—great images trump good
metaphors! But I think adding something just for the sake of filling
that space would actually be a detraction.

Marc

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM
"Fabian A. Scherschel"

I tried to put something in that space in my initial revision. If we keep the void, I think the emanating rays need to fade into it more gradually. The way it is now, it kinda draws your eye to the hole and then there's nothing there...

Fab

Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Emily Dirsh

Well, obviously some of us (including me ) like having something in
the middle. Personally, I think it is a bit jarring, and visually
unsatisfying to leave it completely empty.

But then again, some of us don't like having something there. So,
keeping that in mind, I managed to work up yet another revision - not to
take away from mo's really nice version, but just to see where this one
takes me - and I tried this time to find a bit of a compromise...
There's something in the middle, but it's not anything definite, and
it's much more subtle than the big starburst/supernova effect I had
before. See what you all think!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-rev2-dark-nosupernova.png