Old 09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Alexander Smirnov

Default Beta wallpaper revision

Hi!

2010/9/11 Emily Dirsh <emily@fightingcrane.com>

I know it's a bit down-to-the-wire, but I (finally! ) finished a new

revision of the beta wallpaper. It's up on the wiki now here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-light-rev1.png

I replaced the light spots/lens flare with a light streak/aurora effect.

I don't have the source file uploaded just yet - it's huge! - but I'm

working on it and I'll post a link on the wiki ASAP.

See what you think!

Em

I like this work. Awesome! Best tuning. Emily it's good job.

Thanks,
Alexander.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Emily,

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 18:50 -0400, Emily Dirsh wrote:
> I know it's a bit down-to-the-wire, but I (finally! ) finished a new
> revision of the beta wallpaper. It's up on the wiki now here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-light-rev1.png
>
> I replaced the light spots/lens flare with a light streak/aurora effect.
>
> I don't have the source file uploaded just yet - it's huge! - but I'm
> working on it and I'll post a link on the wiki ASAP.

I think the aurora effect you created is gorgeous, absolutely stunning -
but it just doesn't seem to fit the wallpaper, like others have noted.
(I'd love to see us use it for Fedora 15 though!) I've been using your
latest wallpaper all this weekend and today and it seems the aurora is a
bit out-of-place and the base wallpaper is a bit too simplistic. (It
kind of reminds me a bit of the Fedora 9 wallpaper actually; that one
didn't go over so well )

So I poked around a bit with Kyle's original alpha file, adding in some
bits and bobs from your file (mostly I used the base gradient to recolor
the image), smoothing & streaking out the lines on the right background,
and smoothing out where the lines pop out from the center of the object.
Then I imported it into mypaint and used mypaint's brushes to add some
electricity-like effects and then exported the effects as transparent
layers back into gimp.

Do you think this is something we could use for beta? Or is it the wrong
direction?

(source is: http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%
20Release%20Themes/F14/Wallpaper/F14-2400x15363.xcf )

~m

Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:18 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Do you think this is something we could use for beta? Or is it the wrong
> direction?
>
> (source is: http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%
> 20Release%20Themes/F14/Wallpaper/F14-2400x15363.xcf )

It might help to link the actual wallpaper, lol:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-beta-wallpaper-mizmo-3.png

~m

Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Alexander Smirnov

I love it.* Fantastic colors!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Michael Beckwith

Dang. I am liking this, despite still not being an active help
lately.

http://michaelbox.net

Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/14/2010 12:27 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:18 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Do you think this is something we could use for beta? Or is it the wrong
>> direction?
>>
>> (source is: http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%
>> 20Release%20Themes/F14/Wallpaper/F14-2400x15363.xcf )
>
> It might help to link the actual wallpaper, lol:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-beta-wallpaper-mizmo-3.png

My main problem here is with the bright areas being too bright so they
lose details, when this happen with one of my photos I get "damn! I
borked it with overexposure", change the settings and shoot again (if
there is something left to shoot, else just delete it).

But I like the concept and would like the image if it is darker and have
more details visible.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Cata

Everyone can imagine how it would look like a shower of sparks without
a lighting effect.
I like the effect of sparks created by mizmo.

2010/9/14 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> Hi Emily,
>
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 18:50 -0400, Emily Dirsh wrote:
>> I know it's a bit down-to-the-wire, but I (finally! ) finished a new
>> revision of the beta wallpaper. It's up on the wiki now here:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-light-rev1.png
>>
>> I replaced the light spots/lens flare with a light streak/aurora effect.
>>
>> I don't have the source file uploaded just yet - it's huge! - but I'm
>> working on it and I'll post a link on the wiki ASAP.
>
> I think the aurora effect you created is gorgeous, absolutely stunning -
> but it just doesn't seem to fit the wallpaper, like others have noted.
> (I'd love to see us use it for Fedora 15 though!) I've been using your
> latest wallpaper all this weekend and today and it seems the aurora is a
> bit out-of-place and the base wallpaper is a bit too simplistic. (It
> kind of reminds me a bit of the Fedora 9 wallpaper actually; that one
> didn't go over so well )
>
> So I poked around a bit with Kyle's original alpha file, adding in some
> bits and bobs from your file (mostly I used the base gradient to recolor
> the image), smoothing & streaking out the lines on the right background,
> and smoothing out where the lines pop out from the center of the object.
> Then I imported it into mypaint and used mypaint's brushes to add some
> electricity-like effects and then exported the effects as transparent
> layers back into gimp.
>
> Do you think this is something we could use for beta? Or is it the wrong
> direction?
>
> (source is: http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%
> 20Release%20Themes/F14/Wallpaper/F14-2400x15363.xcf )
>
> ~m

My sites:
http://catalin-festila.blogspot.com -about me
http://tv.free-tutorials.org - video tutorials
http://python-catalin.blogspot.com - my python blog

Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Martin Sourada

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 09:22 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 12:27 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:18 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >> Do you think this is something we could use for beta? Or is it the wrong
> >> direction?
> >>
> >> (source is: http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%
> >> 20Release%20Themes/F14/Wallpaper/F14-2400x15363.xcf )
> >
> > It might help to link the actual wallpaper, lol:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-beta-wallpaper-mizmo-3.png
>
> My main problem here is with the bright areas being too bright so they
> lose details, when this happen with one of my photos I get "damn! I
> borked it with overexposure", change the settings and shoot again (if
> there is something left to shoot, else just delete it).
>
> But I like the concept and would like the image if it is darker and have
> more details visible.

I share exactly the same sentiment and I also fear in its current state
it would not be very good usability wise. As I already said in other
thread, I like the colouring and amount of details of this one:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-wallpaper-remix-em-dark.png

But yeah, I like the concept as well.

Martin

PS: Sorry, if I sent this mail multiple times, evoultion is crashing
for me when sending emails, but I cannot find it in the archives, so
hopefully this is the first time you're receiving it.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Wolnei

I like the art of https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F14-beta-wallpaper-mizmo-3.png

This wallpaper energize me wtih his energy, since the first time i saw.
--
Wolnei Junior
Brazil Fedora Ambassador

Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM