Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Nicu Buculei

Default Supplemental Wallpapers

Based on the team's vote, Emily created a page with the "winners":
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork_Supplemental_Wallpapers_Winners

The next step is to re-check the licenses to ensure we are all OK with
the usage:
- 5 images were submitted by known Fedora contributors, who signed the
CLA: icon, fabsh, bruce89 and nicubunu, they should be OK;
- me and Emily split the remaining ones and are contacting the authors,
the images are taken from Flickr and they have Creative Commons licenses
but we want to check they are OK with the attribution.

I started with my own part:
- mailed and awaiting replies from Hamed Saber, Unhindered by Talent,
Eneas, Ivan Zuber;
- identified "Lavender Kiss" as having an inappropriate license,
CC-BY-ND, which is considered non-Free so not usable in Fedora.

We will also need the help of a packager to push them in the distro,
Martin or someone else, can you lend a hand?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 13:43 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
<snip>
> We will also need the help of a packager to push them in the distro,
> Martin or someone else, can you lend a hand?

Let me know when the license check is done.

Is it desirable to put it all in one package
(laughlin-backgrounds-extras) or do we want one package per wallpaper?
I'd incline to the former as it's saner to manage.

Also, do we want to have it on some spins (other then design suite where
it definitely is desirable) / default installation? If so, someone would
need to persuade the people in charge (you know, the spins are always
having issues with size and this would make matters only worse)...

Martin

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/01/2010 01:56 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 13:43 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> <snip>
>> We will also need the help of a packager to push them in the distro,
>> Martin or someone else, can you lend a hand?
>>
> Let me know when the license check is done.

The idea which came on IRC yesterday was we can make the package soon,
using the 5 images we know are OK so the package is in early, before the
freeze, and then update it later with the rest of the images.

One thing to take care of is our promise to the authors and license
compliance, we offered "mention in the commit message for the package,
mention in the package metadata".

Also, we have to investigate having an XML file to provide another part
of the offer "attribution and licensing information will be included in
the wallpaper chooser widget"

> Is it desirable to put it all in one package
> (laughlin-backgrounds-extras) or do we want one package per wallpaper?
> I'd incline to the former as it's saner to manage.

One single package, otherwise we go to insanity.

> Also, do we want to have it on some spins (other then design suite where
> it definitely is desirable) / default installation? If so, someone would
> need to persuade the people in charge (you know, the spins are always
> having issues with size and this would make matters only worse)...

Hmmm... good call, how we market the feature? A first step is to
announce it on blogs/Planet to raise awareness (I believe Emily is
supposed to do this, as she assembled the wiki page).
For spins, I could see the package on Desktop but, for example, not
necessarily on Security... I guess is the spin maintainer's call

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 14:07 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 01:56 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 13:43 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> We will also need the help of a packager to push them in the distro,
> >> Martin or someone else, can you lend a hand?
> >>
> > Let me know when the license check is done.
>
> The idea which came on IRC yesterday was we can make the package soon,
> using the 5 images we know are OK so the package is in early, before the
> freeze, and then update it later with the rest of the images.

That sounds reasonable.

> One thing to take care of is our promise to the authors and license
> compliance, we offered "mention in the commit message for the package,
> mention in the package metadata".

Well, I can mention it in the commit messages, but I'm not sure about
the metadata... AFAIK we need to put all the attributions and licenses
in the docs section of the package (licenses in their full form,
attributions possibly in a form of a list of images+license+attribution)
and of course the package itself would have to have the appropriate
license (in this case probably something like CC-BY-2.0,
CC-BY-SA-3.0, ... I need to check how to properly handle multiple
licenses).

> Also, we have to investigate having an XML file to provide another part
> of the offer "attribution and licensing information will be included in
> the wallpaper chooser widget"
Erm, how? AFAIK in the wallpaper chooser widget under gnome you cannot
display anything else than a tootlip with wallpaper name (plus the
automatic info about what type of wallpaper it is and where it is
located). I'm not sure about KDE, LXDE and XFCE (KDE uses .desktop
instead of XML and LXDE and XFCE probably nothing)...

> > Also, do we want to have it on some spins (other then design suite where
> > it definitely is desirable) / default installation? If so, someone would
> > need to persuade the people in charge (you know, the spins are always
> > having issues with size and this would make matters only worse)...
>
> Hmmm... good call, how we market the feature? A first step is to
> announce it on blogs/Planet to raise awareness (I believe Emily is
> supposed to do this, as she assembled the wiki page).
> For spins, I could see the package on Desktop but, for example, not
> necessarily on Security... I guess is the spin maintainer's call

Sounds good to me.

Martin

Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/01/2010 02:22 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 14:07 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>> Also, we have to investigate having an XML file to provide another part
>> of the offer "attribution and licensing information will be included in
>> the wallpaper chooser widget"
> Erm, how? AFAIK in the wallpaper chooser widget under gnome you cannot
> display anything else than a tootlip with wallpaper name (plus the
> automatic info about what type of wallpaper it is and where it is
> located). I'm not sure about KDE, LXDE and XFCE (KDE uses .desktop
> instead of XML and LXDE and XFCE probably nothing)...

The XML files in /usr/share/gnome-background-properties, at worst I
believe we can put the author name and license in the image name

Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/01/2010 01:43 PM, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> I started with my own part:
> - mailed and awaiting replies from Hamed Saber, Unhindered by Talent,
> Eneas, Ivan Zuber;
> - identified "Lavender Kiss" as having an inappropriate license,
> CC-BY-ND, which is considered non-Free so not usable in Fedora.

And I received already a first reply... a second link and a twitter name
seems to me a bit to much, what do you think?

*Subject: Re: Usage permission
*Date: 1st September, 2010*

Thanks for your message.
I'm really glad to read that you like my photos, especially "the sound
of decadence".
The attributions you mention seem good to me, also could you add when
you mention me my twitter unsername as well?
it's @ivanzuber

As for the other website, I've a vimeo account
http://www.vimeo.com/ivanzuber if you want to include it.

Thanks and please let me know where and how you're using this photo!

Regards,

Ivan

Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/01/2010 01:43 PM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Based on the team's vote, Emily created a page with the "winners":
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork_Supplemental_Wallpapers_Winners

Also IIRC at least Mo and Jimmac had improvement/editing suggestions for
some of the images, I think the time to start playing with them is NOW,
so everybody can have fun time with GIMP and the photos.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Marc Stewart

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 14:36 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> And I received already a first reply... a second link and a twitter name
> seems to me a bit to much, what do you think?

If I were writing a blog post about the wallpapers, I'd include a line
or two about each creator. In this context, a Twitter username and Vimeo
account are useful ways to point interested readers in the right
direction.

But the best licensing notices are short licensing notices. And if I
understand the CC system correctly, something along the lines of:

"The sound of decadence"
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanzuber/2776100984/> by Ivan Zuber
2008, available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic
licence <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en_GB>

is sufficient.

(In choosing a licence, the CC website only asks for a name, title, and
URL as relevant details http://creativecommons.org/choose/ )

Marc

Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Emily Dirsh

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 13:43 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Based on the team's vote, Emily created a page with the "winners":
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork_Supplemental_Wallpapers_Winners
>
> The next step is to re-check the licenses to ensure we are all OK with
> the usage:
> - 5 images were submitted by known Fedora contributors, who signed the
> CLA: icon, fabsh, bruce89 and nicubunu, they should be OK;
> - me and Emily split the remaining ones and are contacting the authors,
> the images are taken from Flickr and they have Creative Commons licenses
> but we want to check they are OK with the attribution.
>
> I started with my own part:
> - mailed and awaiting replies from Hamed Saber, Unhindered by Talent,
> Eneas, Ivan Zuber;
> - identified "Lavender Kiss" as having an inappropriate license,
> CC-BY-ND, which is considered non-Free so not usable in Fedora.
>
> We will also need the help of a packager to push them in the distro,
> Martin or someone else, can you lend a hand?

Just to keep everyone up to date - I've now contacted bslmmers,
imhullot, eflon, joiseyshowaa, and udono about the licensing/attribution
of their photos for inclusion in the package. Nighttime water by
darkmere is licensed CC-by-nc-nd, which I believe is incompatible?

Also, nicubunu mentioned blogging/promoting the supplemental wallpaper
package, but I don't have a blog - so is there anyone on the list
with a blog who wants to plug it for us?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 09/02/2010 04:41 AM, Emily Dirsh wrote:

> Also, nicubunu mentioned blogging/promoting the supplemental wallpaper
> package, but I don't have a blog - so is there anyone on the list
> with a blog who wants to plug it for us?

I'll do it (start writing in 3, 2, 1... )

PS: I got replies/confirmation from 3 of the 4 contacted people already.