Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Slogan needed for www.fp.o?

(1) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign/Mockups/Www.fpo#Take_2
(2) http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign/Mockups/Www.fpo#Slideshow_Banners

Maírín Duffy pointed me to these latest mockups for the main Fedora
web page (www.fedoraproject.org). The Marketing team has been
discussing whether a long-term slogan would be desirable on the main
page -- one which wouldn't change from release to release.

Currently, the filler text "Free your desktop with Fedora" is included
in the mockup of the front page (1), which came from Mo and me just
playing around with text to stick in the mockup we worked on in
September '09.

A couple questions:

* Should the Marketing team come up with some text to replace that
filler text in (1)? (Obviously people are welcome to participate in
that discussion.)

* Does the Design team want additional help with the slides seen in
the mockups at (2)?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Jef van Schendel

2010/8/31 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> A couple questions:
>
> * Should the Marketing team come up with some text to replace that
> *filler text in (1)? *(Obviously people are welcome to participate in
> *that discussion.)
>
> * Does the Design team want additional help with the slides seen in
> *the mockups at (2)?

Hi Paul,

I can't speak for the main page, but I'm working on the Community /
Join page right now and I'm just making up the text as I go.

Since I'm not a marketing guy and English isn't even my native
language, it'd be great if Marketing could have a look at it and write
some decent text for the page.

I can post the mockups on the Marketing list when we're done with
them, is that ok?

Jef

Old 09-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Máirín Duffy

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 17:41 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> A couple questions:
>
> * Should the Marketing team come up with some text to replace that
> filler text in (1)? (Obviously people are welcome to participate in
> that discussion.)

If the text isn't sufficient, sure. I don't take any issue with it but
maybe I'm biased. I think freedom is a good differentiation between us
and other distros which is why I like it

> * Does the Design team want additional help with the slides seen in
> the mockups at (2)?

YES!!!!!!! ZOMG yes.

I think we were thinking of having 5-6 slides:

- one (the first, always) introduces what the heck fedora is

- one (usually the second) talks about our community

- all others (I guess 3 or 4) talk about major features in the new
release maybe?

~m

Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 02:19:02AM +0200, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> 2010/8/31 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> > A couple questions:
> >
> > * Should the Marketing team come up with some text to replace that
> > *filler text in (1)? *(Obviously people are welcome to participate in
> > *that discussion.)
> >
> > * Does the Design team want additional help with the slides seen in
> > *the mockups at (2)?
> >

> Hi Paul,
>
> I can't speak for the main page, but I'm working on the Community /
> Join page right now and I'm just making up the text as I go.
>
> Since I'm not a marketing guy and English isn't even my native
> language, it'd be great if Marketing could have a look at it and write
> some decent text for the page.
>
> I can post the mockups on the Marketing list when we're done with
> them, is that ok?

Hi Jef,

Yes, for the Community/Join page this sounds like a fine idea. I'm
certain people in the Marketing team would be happy to help with
language. You may also want to post a link to this page at that time:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_fix_bugs_on_the_Fedora_Project_website

That way people can deliver actual language patches for maximum
efficiency!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:13:17PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 17:41 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > A couple questions:
> >
> > * Should the Marketing team come up with some text to replace that
> > filler text in (1)? (Obviously people are welcome to participate in
> > that discussion.)
>
> If the text isn't sufficient, sure. I don't take any issue with it but
> maybe I'm biased. I think freedom is a good differentiation between us
> and other distros which is why I like it
>
> > * Does the Design team want additional help with the slides seen in
> > the mockups at (2)?
>
> YES!!!!!!! ZOMG yes.
>
> I think we were thinking of having 5-6 slides:
>
> - one (the first, always) introduces what the heck fedora is
>
> - one (usually the second) talks about our community
>
> - all others (I guess 3 or 4) talk about major features in the new
> release maybe?

I like this setup. I was thinking that the last 3 or 4 wouldn't all
need to change for every release -- maybe just one or two to feature
the latest bits, with the rest showing features that are important
throughout our releases. Examples of things important throughout
releases would be general points like standard productivity, or web
development tools.