Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Plymouth theme (boot splash) in F14

Hi everyone,

since we switched to generic (instead of release specific) theme for
plymouth, I've never particularly liked it but it I haven't exactly
disliked it either. Not anymore with F14. The
throbbing-and-loading-at-the-same-time fedora logo with great amount of
rendering glitches is just a sore in the eye and gives a really bad
impression to our users. I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug, but
either way, it needs fixing.

Personally I'd prefer switching to spinfinity theme. It's simple and
professional looking and it does not have any rendering glitches (tested
myself on F12 and F14).

Any thoughts on this?

Btw. this mail [1] on test list prompted me to not keep silent about it
anymore...

Martin

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-August/092811.html

Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 21:26 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> since we switched to generic (instead of release specific) theme for
> plymouth, I've never particularly liked it but it I haven't exactly
> disliked it either. Not anymore with F14. The
> throbbing-and-loading-at-the-same-time fedora logo with great amount of
> rendering glitches is just a sore in the eye and gives a really bad
> impression to our users. I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug, but
> either way, it needs fixing.
>
> Personally I'd prefer switching to spinfinity theme. It's simple and
> professional looking and it does not have any rendering glitches (tested
> myself on F12 and F14).
>
> Any thoughts on this?

+1 for spinfinity;it's much nicer.

~m

Old 08-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Ray Strode

> Not anymore with F14. The
> throbbing-and-loading-at-the-same-time fedora logo with great amount
> of
> rendering glitches is just a sore in the eye and gives a really bad
> impression to our users. I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug,
> but
> either way, it needs fixing.
It's just a bug. I plan to look at it soon.

--Ray

Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Adam Miller

Can I get a link to what spinfinity looks like? Google searches for it
are getting me nowhere.

Many thanks,

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com

Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Dave Crossland

Hi,

On 18 August 2010 16:29, Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Can I get a link to what spinfinity looks like? Google searches for it
> are getting me nowhere.

I'll try and post one tonight when I reboot

sudo yum install plymouth-theme-spinfinity;
sudo plymouth-set-default-theme spinfinity;

Cheers
Dave

Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 16:50 -0700, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18 August 2010 16:29, Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Can I get a link to what spinfinity looks like? Google searches for it
> > are getting me nowhere.
>
> I'll try and post one tonight when I reboot
>
> sudo yum install plymouth-theme-spinfinity;
> sudo plymouth-set-default-theme spinfinity;

You also need to regenerate initrd:
# /usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd

Martin

Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 21:26 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

> since we switched to generic (instead of release specific) theme for
> plymouth, I've never particularly liked it but it I haven't exactly
> disliked it either. Not anymore with F14. The
> throbbing-and-loading-at-the-same-time fedora logo with great amount of
> rendering glitches is just a sore in the eye and gives a really bad
> impression to our users. I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug, but
> either way, it needs fixing.
>
> Personally I'd prefer switching to spinfinity theme. It's simple and
> professional looking and it does not have any rendering glitches (tested
> myself on F12 and F14).
>
> Any thoughts on this?

So, instead of having release specific themes, we are now switching the
non-release specific theme every release ? Doesn't make sense to me.
What annoys you in the current plymouth is just a bug that will be
addressed before the beta.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Matthias,

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 10:25 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> So, instead of having release specific themes, we are now switching the
> non-release specific theme every release ? Doesn't make sense to me.
> What annoys you in the current plymouth is just a bug that will be
> addressed before the beta.

I don't think Martin was suggesting switching every release, just a
one-time switch.

~m

Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Martin Sourada

Hi Matthias,

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 10:25 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> So, instead of having release specific themes, we are now switching the
> non-release specific theme every release ? Doesn't make sense to me.
I wasn't implying that. I proposed just one-time switch now. We either
need a release specific plymouth or have one theme stay for a few
releases, and since there's consensus to use release agnostic theme, I'm
merely proposing that one to be spinfinity from now on and asking here
on design if other people feel the same or not. The bug in F14's
plymouth (and that message on test list) just prompted me to bring it
up.

> What annoys you in the current plymouth is just a bug that will be
> addressed before the beta.
I certainly hope so, yet I think spinfinity would still be a better
option -- hence the suggestion for change.

Martin