FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Design Team

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Federico Cáceres
 
Default Introduction and f14 wallpaper concepts

Hi, my name is Federico Cáceres (as you might have guessed by the email headers) and I'm a computer science stundent in the "Universidad Católica de Asunción" (Catholic University of Asunción) at Asunción, Paraguay . I'm currently working on my final thesis project, related to HCI, but on my free time I love messing around with design-related stuff.*I have been doing some design ever since the Corel 4 days, and in the last years I have also done some freelance work. Obviosuly, now my weapons of choice are primarily Inkscape, Gimp and Blender!



Enough introductions, I have been searching around for F14's artowrk progress and I found the current concept very interesting, and considering we are still on alpha stage, I thought I could mix up the current concept and share my experiments with the community. I just thought of changing the perspective a bit (maybe adding some focal blur), making lines more parallel and working a bit with the colors.



Without further ado, I present you my wallpaper tests:http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734803332957778


http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734811017932162http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734817030122466


(The last two might have a bit of dizzyness factor... sorry guys...)They all are simple modifications on Kyle Baker's concept, Blender was used for most of the work (all shapes and blur were done in Blender), GIMP was added to the mix only for some post-processing on the colors.



Hope you find these interesting.
Regards,Federico.
_______________________________________________
design-team mailing list
design-team@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/design-team
 
Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Máirín Duffy
 
Default Introduction and f14 wallpaper concepts

Hi Federico!

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 10:54 -0400, Federico Cáceres wrote:
> Enough introductions, I have been searching around for F14's artowrk
> progress and I found the current concept very interesting, and
> considering we are still on alpha stage, I thought I could mix up the
> current concept and share my experiments with the community. I just
> thought of changing the perspective a bit (maybe adding some focal
> blur), making lines more parallel and working a bit with the colors.
>
>
> Without further ado, I present you my wallpaper tests:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734803332957778
> http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734811017932162
> http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734817030122466
> (The last two might have a bit of dizzyness factor... sorry guys...)

So I've been using the last one (I'll call it 'C') for the past week.
After using it for this period of time I do have some suggestions:

- It seems that the blue in the image doesn't quite work with the blue
in our default icon theme, Mist. I've attached the folder icon from hat
theme so you can see what shades and hues of blue it needs to work with.
I think the wallpaper is a bit too far towards the purple end of the
spectrum.

- I do get a bit of a dizzy feeling looking at it. I wonder though, if
adding a slight vignette (like in [1] but dark rather than white) to a
very dark & desaturated blue to the left side would help?

Does anyone else have any feedback for Federico? Has anyone else been
using his iterations or developing their own? Time is definitely getting
short as we need to start working on the banners for beta.

Federico, can you make our meeting tomorrow? It'll be at 19:00 UTC (3 PM
Eastern US time) in #fedora-design on irc.freenode.net. Let me know if
you can make it and need help connecting.

~m

[1] http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Quickmask/

_______________________________________________
design-team mailing list
design-team@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/design-team
 
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Máirín Duffy
 
Default Introduction and f14 wallpaper concepts

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 16:33 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Federico!
>
> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 10:54 -0400, Federico Cáceres wrote:
> > Enough introductions, I have been searching around for F14's artowrk
> > progress and I found the current concept very interesting, and
> > considering we are still on alpha stage, I thought I could mix up the
> > current concept and share my experiments with the community. I just
> > thought of changing the perspective a bit (maybe adding some focal
> > blur), making lines more parallel and working a bit with the colors.
> >
> >
> > Without further ado, I present you my wallpaper tests:
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734803332957778
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734811017932162
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/fede.caceres/Fedora#5504734817030122466
> > (The last two might have a bit of dizzyness factor... sorry guys...)

Oh, and I forgot the entire reason I meant to send this mail. I
blogged up Federico's iterations today, so hopefully we'll get more
feedback on them that way too:

http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/fedora-14-artwork-progressing/

~m

_______________________________________________
design-team mailing list
design-team@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/design-team
 
Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Federico Cáceres
 
Default Introduction and f14 wallpaper concepts

Hi Máirín,

2010/8/16 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> So I've been using the last one (I'll call it 'C') for the past week.
> After using it for this period of time I do have some suggestions:
Thanks for test-driving it!

> - It seems that the blue in the image doesn't quite work with the blue
> in our default icon theme, Mist. I've attached the folder icon from hat
> theme so you can see what shades and hues of blue it needs to work with.
> I think the wallpaper is a bit too far towards the purple end of the
> spectrum.
Yeah, I didn't use the Fedora blue color, sorry about that, will be
fixing this asap and testing with the default color theme.

> - I do get a bit of a dizzy feeling looking at it. I wonder though, if
> adding a slight vignette (like in [1] but dark rather than white) to a
> very dark & desaturated blue to the left side would help?
I will try adding that vignette or some similar thing to the left to
"flatten" the image a bit. And maybe reducing the blur a bit can also
help with the dizzyness.

> Does anyone else have any feedback for Federico? Has anyone else been
> using his iterations or developing their own? Time is definitely getting
> short as we need to start working on the banners for beta.
>
> Federico, can you make our meeting tomorrow? It'll be at 19:00 UTC (3 PM
> Eastern US time) in #fedora-design on irc.freenode.net. Let me know if
> you can make it and need help connecting.
I think I will be able to make it to the meeting, I will be connected
from freenode's webclient though, hope that's not a problem.

See you there!
Federico.
_______________________________________________
design-team mailing list
design-team@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/design-team
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org