Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Emily Dirsh

Default Gnome shell theming plus extension!

At yesterdays design meeting, we talked a bit about gnome-shell theming.
I made a small gnome-shell extension to make it easier. (With the help
of my lovely bf Liam whom I "recruited" ) It adds a "button" to the
gnome-shell panel that reloads the theme/css file without having to
restart the Shell.

You can install it by extracting it to
~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions and restarting gnome-shell if it's
running.

If you don't have gnome-shell installed, there is a package for it!
Or you can build it from source - there are instructions on the
gnome-shell page.

Once you have the extension installed, just edit the gnome-shell.css
file and click the "Refresh theme" button on the panel to see the
changes!

gnome-shell page (with build instructions):
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell
gnome-shell extensions:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions

Download my extension:
http://www.fightingcrane.com/emily/fedora/Theme_Reloader_GS_Ext.tar.bz2

Emily

PS - I tested it on my own machine, but other than that, you will all
have to be test-monkeys - so let me know if anything goes wonky with the
extension! thx!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Jef van Schendel

2010/8/4 Emily Dirsh <emily@fightingcrane.com>:
> At yesterdays design meeting, we talked a bit about gnome-shell theming.
> I made a small gnome-shell extension to make it easier. (With the help
> of my lovely bf Liam whom I "recruited" ) It adds a "button" to the
> gnome-shell panel that reloads the theme/css file without having to
> restart the Shell.

That's... excellent!

Have you contacted the gnome-shell team about this? I'm sure they'd
love to hear about it and maybe put it on the gnome-shell homepage for
others.

If only I could get gnome-shell to work, then I could've tried this
out... Tried to build it this afternoon but no luck yet.

Jef

Old 08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Emily Dirsh

Forgot to include the list here... :P