Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Nicu Buculei

Default CHASM Logo design request

On 08/03/2010 06:14 PM, Adam Miller wrote:

> I just sent out an introduction yesterday but I'm rather eager to get
> involved so I have accepted a ticket in the Design Team TRAC[0]
> instance and have provided some rough sketches of ideas for logo/icon
> for the CHASM project. I wanted to email the list in hopes to get some
> feedback and opinions on how this might be improved, what people like,
> don't like, and why. Many thanks!

I like your pencil work. A lot.

> As always: questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome!

In order for it to effectively work as a logo, you will have to simplify
*a lot*.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Adam Miller

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> On 08/03/2010 06:14 PM, Adam Miller wrote:
>>
>> I just sent out an introduction yesterday but I'm rather eager to get
>> involved so I have accepted a ticket in the Design Team TRAC[0]
>> instance and have provided some rough sketches of ideas for logo/icon
>> for the CHASM project. I wanted to email the list in hopes to get some
>> feedback and opinions on how this might be improved, what people like,
>> don't like, and why. Many thanks!
>
> I like your pencil work. A lot.

Thanks!

>> As always: questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome!
>
> In order for it to effectively work as a logo, you will have to simplify
> *a lot*.

<SNIP>

I do agree that it would need some simplification, I just wasn't
entirely sure how to accomplish that and still get the point across
that there are two cliffs and a series of draw bridges. I'm very open
to suggestion though.

Thanks for the feedback.

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com

Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Jef van Schendel

2010/8/3 Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org>:
> Hello design team!
>
> I just sent out an introduction yesterday but I'm rather eager to get
> involved so I have accepted a ticket in the Design Team TRAC[0]
> instance and have provided some rough sketches of ideas for logo/icon
> for the CHASM project. I wanted to email the list in hopes to get some
> feedback and opinions on how this might be improved, what people like,
> don't like, and why. Many thanks!
>
> As always: questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome!
>
> -AdamM
>
> [0] https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/108

Ooo, looks great to me.

If I had to pick one right now (which I don't, but I'm gonna! ) I'd
go with the one on the top right, because I think that's the one that
will work the best as a logo.

I like the others too though, especially the bottom one. For that one
for instance needs perspective to work, which is very hard to get
right in smaller icons...

Jef

Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Emily Dirsh

I just sent out an introduction yesterday but I'm rather eager to get
involved so I have accepted a ticket in the Design Team TRAC[0]
instance and have provided some rough sketches of ideas for logo/icon
for the CHASM project. I wanted to email the list in hopes to get some
feedback and opinions on how this might be improved, what people like,
don't like, and why. Many thanks!

As always: questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome!

-AdamM

[0] https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/108

Hi Adam, welcome to the design team! The sketches look really good!

Personally, I think the bottom sketch has the most potential for developing into something with enough visual interest to make an impact and be distinctive. Like Nicu and Jef have said, it will have to be simplified a good bit. I could see it in a medallion-style logo.

Also, is this meant to be a logo or an icon? The ticket says logo, but you said "logo/icon". Those are different use cases and can look very different, so... just wondering...

Emily

Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Adam Miller

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Emily Dirsh <emily@fightingcrane.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 10:14 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
>
> Hello design team!
>
> I just sent out an introduction yesterday but I'm rather eager to get
> involved so I have accepted a ticket in the Design Team TRAC[0]
> instance and have provided some rough sketches of ideas for logo/icon
> for the CHASM project. I wanted to email the list in hopes to get some
> feedback and opinions on how this might be improved, what people like,
> don't like, and why. Many thanks!
>
> As always: questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome!
>
> -AdamM
>
> [0] https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/108
>

> Hi Adam, welcome to the design team! The sketches look really good!
>
> Personally, I think the bottom sketch has the most potential for developing
> into something with enough visual interest to make an impact and be
> distinctive. Like Nicu and Jef have said, it will have to be simplified a
> good bit. I could see it in a medallion-style logo.
>
> Also, is this meant to be a logo or an icon? The ticket says logo, but you
> said "logo/icon". Those are different use cases and can look very different,
> so... just wondering...
>
> Emily

Thanks for the feedback!

Since the ticket was just looking for a logo I imagine that's my
target case but was trying to keep an icon in mind as projects
generally try to keep some uniformity between the two.

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com

Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Jef van Schendel

> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> Since the ticket was just looking for a logo I imagine that's my
> target case but was trying to keep an icon in mind as projects
> generally try to keep some uniformity between the two.
>
> -AdamM

In that case, disregard most of my comment.

A logo has a little more freedom... Keeping it simple is still good
but things like perspective will be easier, and may even be a nice
feature.

Jef

Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 08/03/2010 10:52 PM, Adam Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Emily Dirsh wrote:
>> Personally, I think the bottom sketch has the most potential for developing
>> into something with enough visual interest to make an impact and be
>> distinctive. Like Nicu and Jef have said, it will have to be simplified a
>> good bit. I could see it in a medallion-style logo.
>>
>> Also, is this meant to be a logo or an icon? The ticket says logo, but you
>> said "logo/icon". Those are different use cases and can look very different,
>> so... just wondering...
>
> Since the ticket was just looking for a logo I imagine that's my
> target case but was trying to keep an icon in mind as projects
> generally try to keep some uniformity between the two.

When/it you are getting to the icon part... I am sure you already are
familiar with those principles:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/icons-design.html.en