Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Paolo Leoni

Default F11 wallpaper mockup proposal

@nicu
I've decreased saturation on day version, maybe there's still too much light.

@Thomas Kole
Your version is interesting...

@Mo
I've uploaded the mockups on the wiki at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Artwork.

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org

Old 02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Thomas Kole

what about making one by yourselve?
Just a concept...

http://dilopho-dd.deviantart.com/art/F11-map-wallpaper-2-113526429

Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Nicu Buculei

Thomas Kole wrote:

what about making one by yourselve?
Just a concept...

http://dilopho-dd.deviantart.com/art/F11-map-wallpaper-2-113526429

Making a new one by yourself is a good idea, only that your image look
(to me) modern. It does not tell "Leonidas" to me.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:32:09AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Paolo Leoni wrote:
>>> This is a very simple mockup for F11 wallpaper (day/night version):
>>>
>>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/f11-wallpaper-day_mockup.jpg
>>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/f11-wallpaper-night_mockup.jpg
>>>
>>> It's a simple modification of the "world chart" posted on the wiki.
>>>
>>> It could be usable?
>>> issue #1: the day version is too enlighted for the desktop.
>>
>> Just decrease the saturation and it may be better.
>
> Duh! Sometime I should use more words... I think is preferable to have a
> more desaturated look, this is supposed to be *old paper*, with the
> colors washed-down (desaturated).

Also, with a lot of lines and heavy contrast, the wallpaper gets more
confusing to my eyes when I'm trying to find icons on my desktop. I
think that was something that you (Nicu) were trying to address when
you mentioned desaturation, right?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Máirín Duffy

(sorry for all the top posting lately btw, it's the web client i have to use)

I like the night version of the wallpaper though. I think the day one is too busy to be a good background. Maybe if the day one was desaturated a bit so it didn't have as much contrast? Either way, we could certainly include it as a wallpaper in the bundle that comes installed if we decide it's not Leonidas enough. It does have a nautical theme so I do think it would be appropriate, although we had already agreed some weeks ago we wanted to focus on the Greek and not the nautical aspects of Leonidas.

~m

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Paolo Leoni

2009/2/20 Máirín Duffy <mairin@linuxgrrl.com>

>>It does have a nautical theme so I do think it would be appropriate, although we had already agreed some weeks ago we >>wanted to focus on the Greek and not the nautical aspects of Leonidas.

Ok, sorry for my little o.t. :-)
Follow a simple greek-related idea...it could be useful like a "basis"?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:F11-wallpaper-day-deepsky-mockup3.jpg

The original image was downloaded from here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Parthenon_from_west.jpg
The license seems to be compatible with "fedora using"...if I don't have a mistake.

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org

Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Nicu Buculei

Paolo Leoni wrote:

Follow a simple greek-related idea...it could be useful like a "basis"?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:F11-wallpaper-day-deepsky-mockup3.jpg

I think is a bit too simplistic to go with a photo converted to
grayscale and then colorized blue.

Also, it was discussed a few weeks ago that we don't want to go with jut
a ruin and send the wrong message about Fedora being a ruin. If we are
going to use some ruins, they have to be accompanied by other elements,
like growing vegetation and such.

The original image was downloaded from here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Parthenon_from_west.jpg
The license seems to be compatible with "fedora using"...if I don't have
a mistake.

The license is fine (PD), but IMO the photo is not that great: it has
very aggressive JPEG compression resulting in a very noisy background
and the framing do not allow for wide screen cropping (we would have to
cut from important parts of the image).

Old 02-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Paolo Leoni

I think is a bit too simplistic to go with a photo converted to grayscale and then colorized blue.

Also, it was discussed a few weeks ago that we don't want to go with jut a ruin and send the wrong message about Fedora being a ruin. If we are going to use some ruins, they have to be accompanied by other elements, like growing vegetation and such.

The license is fine (PD), but IMO the photo is not that great: it has very aggressive JPEG compression resulting in a very noisy background and the framing do not allow for wide screen cropping (we would have to cut from important parts of the image).

Right...I'll go with an other stuff...thank you anyway for your feedbacks.
--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org

Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Paolo Leoni

I've a new proposal for you...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:F11-wallpaper-deepsky-mockup5.jpg

The background photo was taken at "Thermopylae", the place of historical battle with Leonidas and Spartans.

Maybe It would be better a more stylized background...and what about for a spartan shield instead the helmet?

An other idea can be a simple background, with a spartan shield as the main subject. It's a big rounded shield with a "Lambda" on front, the "L" greek letter.

*

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org

Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Paolo,

>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:F11-wallpaper-deepsky-mockup5.jpg

Could you provide us the source image information (url, license, etc) for the images you've got here? I do like the landscape but it seems maybe like it's not wide enough horizontally?

~m