Old 01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Wallpaper survey

Hey folks,

In case you didn't catch it on planet Fedora, I have been
running an informal survey of the desktop backgrounds folks
are using (getting responses from both Fedora and GNOME
community members.)

I've gotten a LOT of replies, check them out:
http://mihmo.livejournal.com/68292.html

So far as I've been able to read through them, they seem to
fit into 3 categories:

- #1 stick with the default (distro default or desktop env
default) or flat solid color
- #2 personalized no matter what (photos they took
themselves or photos of family members) or a photo of an
interest hobby (racecars, bikes, hometown, etc)
- #3 beautiful pictures of nature, usually with some depth

So I think as we are still thinking about our approach to
F11, we should think about these wallpapers that folks are
actually using and try to create something that they will
like having as their desktop background as much as possible.
#2 would be impossible for us to do, but #3 we can most
certainly do.

Looking at it this way, maybe for the wallpaper we could
have a beautiful landscape with maybe some Grecian elements,
maybe ruins of Grecian columns or a garden stylized in a
Grecian way (maybe with some sculpture) and maybe we could
follow the Golden Mean in laying out the elements of the image.

What do you think?

~m

Old 01-23-2009, 04:03 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:26:17AM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> In case you didn't catch it on planet Fedora, I have been
> running an informal survey of the desktop backgrounds folks
> are using (getting responses from both Fedora and GNOME
> community members.)
>
> I've gotten a LOT of replies, check them out:
> http://mihmo.livejournal.com/68292.html
>
> So far as I've been able to read through them, they seem to
> fit into 3 categories:
>
> - #1 stick with the default (distro default or desktop env
> default) or flat solid color
> - #2 personalized no matter what (photos they took
> themselves or photos of family members) or a photo of an
> interest hobby (racecars, bikes, hometown, etc)
> - #3 beautiful pictures of nature, usually with some depth
>
> So I think as we are still thinking about our approach to
> F11, we should think about these wallpapers that folks are
> actually using and try to create something that they will
> like having as their desktop background as much as possible.
> #2 would be impossible for us to do, but #3 we can most
> certainly do.
>
> Looking at it this way, maybe for the wallpaper we could
> have a beautiful landscape with maybe some Grecian elements,
> maybe ruins of Grecian columns or a garden stylized in a
> Grecian way (maybe with some sculpture) and maybe we could
> follow the Golden Mean in laying out the elements of the image.
>
> What do you think?

I really like that we're asking users to tell us what they do with
their desktop backgrounds, and using that to inform how we deliver
something they'll like (and hopefully use). Great idea!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Ian Weller

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:26:17AM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> In case you didn't catch it on planet Fedora, I have been
> running an informal survey of the desktop backgrounds folks
> are using (getting responses from both Fedora and GNOME
> community members.)
>
> I've gotten a LOT of replies, check them out:
> http://mihmo.livejournal.com/68292.html
>
> So far as I've been able to read through them, they seem to
> fit into 3 categories:
>
> - #1 stick with the default (distro default or desktop env
> default) or flat solid color
> - #2 personalized no matter what (photos they took
> themselves or photos of family members) or a photo of an
> interest hobby (racecars, bikes, hometown, etc)
> - #3 beautiful pictures of nature, usually with some depth
>
> So I think as we are still thinking about our approach to
> F11, we should think about these wallpapers that folks are
> actually using and try to create something that they will
> like having as their desktop background as much as possible.
> #2 would be impossible for us to do, but #3 we can most
> certainly do.
>
> Looking at it this way, maybe for the wallpaper we could
> have a beautiful landscape with maybe some Grecian elements,
> maybe ruins of Grecian columns or a garden stylized in a
> Grecian way (maybe with some sculpture) and maybe we could
> follow the Golden Mean in laying out the elements of the image.
>
> What do you think?

I knew you did that for a reason.

However with the Grecian columns and stuff we need to be careful of not
looking "ancient", as some might say, but instead looking functional,
practical, etc.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36

Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Máirín Duffy

Ian Weller wrote:
> However with the Grecian columns and stuff we need to be careful of not
> looking "ancient", as some might say, but instead looking functional,
> practical, etc.

Yes definitely. Like if the columns are ruins, we don't want
to give off the message that Fedora is in ruins or something
like that. We want to highlight the positive aspects... eg
rather than posing Fedora as the column, if we've got say a
pretty columns-ruins landscape, pose fedora as the vines and
plants and nature growing on top of the the old columns (the
columns then become the establishment/proprietary software)
Then it becomes more, 'Fedora - making proprietary OSes
history' rather than 'Fedora is old broken crap!'

~m

Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 04:48:27PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Ian Weller wrote:
> > However with the Grecian columns and stuff we need to be careful of not
> > looking "ancient", as some might say, but instead looking functional,
> > practical, etc.
>
> Yes definitely. Like if the columns are ruins, we don't want
> to give off the message that Fedora is in ruins or something
> like that. We want to highlight the positive aspects... eg
> rather than posing Fedora as the column, if we've got say a
> pretty columns-ruins landscape, pose fedora as the vines and
> plants and nature growing on top of the the old columns (the
> columns then become the establishment/proprietary software)
> Then it becomes more, 'Fedora - making proprietary OSes
> history' rather than 'Fedora is old broken crap!'

There is the connotation of vines/kudzu as a vegetation pest rather
than something more positive. I could be stretching a bit for that
interpretation, though.

Another idea: Atlas is a Greek mythological figure (a Titan,
actually) that held up the world. Note the similarity in the way that
Fedora contributes to the FOSS community when we're doing it right.
Does this spur any design thoughts for anyone?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Charlie Brej

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Hey folks,

In case you didn't catch it on planet Fedora, I have been
running an informal survey of the desktop backgrounds folks
are using (getting responses from both Fedora and GNOME
community members.)

Adminning around my group I found two interesting themes that people like (apart
from the usual).

1: A picture of their actual desk. With their notes and scribbles and pieces of
equipment and such. This looks really good. I encourage people to try it.

2: Four bold colour landscapes or even just solid colours for each time of the
day (morning:blue, noon:white, evening:red, night:black). That way they know
what time of the day it is (PhDs can not tell the time of day) and what time to
go home. Much brighter than the ones by default. Interestingly they like to do
this by overwriting the default background png files (in this case the FC8
infinity ones) rather than making a new xml. They generally feel that the
default ones are not different enough to tell apart, but that might not be a bad
thing.

These are not necessarily the ways we wish to go with the default background but
just to answer the enquiry.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 17:44 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 04:48:27PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Ian Weller wrote:
> > > However with the Grecian columns and stuff we need to be careful of not
> > > looking "ancient", as some might say, but instead looking functional,
> > > practical, etc.
> >
> > Yes definitely. Like if the columns are ruins, we don't want
> > to give off the message that Fedora is in ruins or something
> > like that. We want to highlight the positive aspects... eg
> > rather than posing Fedora as the column, if we've got say a
> > pretty columns-ruins landscape, pose fedora as the vines and
> > plants and nature growing on top of the the old columns (the
> > columns then become the establishment/proprietary software)
> > Then it becomes more, 'Fedora - making proprietary OSes
> > history' rather than 'Fedora is old broken crap!'
>
> There is the connotation of vines/kudzu as a vegetation pest rather
> than something more positive. I could be stretching a bit for that
> interpretation, though.

It just needs to be the right vine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clematis

Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Martin Sourada

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 16:48 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Ian Weller wrote:
> > However with the Grecian columns and stuff we need to be careful of not
> > looking "ancient", as some might say, but instead looking functional,
> > practical, etc.
>
> Yes definitely. Like if the columns are ruins, we don't want
> to give off the message that Fedora is in ruins or something
> like that. We want to highlight the positive aspects... eg
> rather than posing Fedora as the column, if we've got say a
> pretty columns-ruins landscape, pose fedora as the vines and
> plants and nature growing on top of the the old columns (the
> columns then become the establishment/proprietary software)
> Then it becomes more, 'Fedora - making proprietary OSes
> history' rather than 'Fedora is old broken crap!'
>
> ~m

Well, I think if the columns were not ruins [1](i.e. would be still
standing and would not be broken, I think there are such in Greece even
now) it would give much better message, like 'Fedora outlives its
creators' or something like that (well, my example is a bit lame, I am
not good with this stuff after all...).

Martin

Reference:
[1]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Stoa_in_Athens.jpg

Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Konstantinos Antonakoglou

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 10:57 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Well, I think if the columns were not ruins [1](i.e. would be still
> standing and would not be broken, I think there are such in Greece even
> now) it would give much better message, like 'Fedora outlives its
> creators' or something like that (well, my example is a bit lame, I am
> not good with this stuff after all...).
>
> Martin
>
> Reference:
> [1]
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Stoa_in_Athens.jpg

Actually, here in Greece we still use ancient buildings to host many
events (mostly theatrical plays and concerts). Buildings like
Epidaurus[1], the Panathinaic Stadium[2] and the Herodion Theater[3] are
still used until today. The are beautiful pictures with night-time
events. The building Martin mentioned is a museum (the Stoa of Attalos).
But there are many examples of Neoclassicism around the world.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidaurus
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panathinaiko_Stadium
[3]
http://www.greeka.com/attica/athens/athens-ancient-site/athens-herodion-theatre.htm