FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Design Team

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Paolo Leoni
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

Hi there,
we are almost near to F11 alpha release, so I propose to you some
candidates for the alpha release banner.

Since we are still in a initial session for the official F11 theme, I've
used a simple image to point the birth of a new fedora version.

http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.png
http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.svg

http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.png
http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.svg

The great music of the Boss (a.k.a. Bruce Springsteen) has inspired
these :-)

About background image copyright: the image is a piece of a sunset photo
that I've taken personally. If is necessary I'll provide the original photo.

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org
GPG fingerprint: DAD1 6419 D42B 0B1C D9E1 A9CB 4587 4812 17F7 F764


_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

Sorry for the broken thread, my internet connection was a mess for the
last couple of days, so I am replying as I can.


Paolo Leoni wrote:
> Hi there,
> we are almost near to F11 alpha release, so I propose to you some
> candidates for the alpha release banner.

Goo think you took the initiative for this, the alpha release is comming
and we were unprepared.


> Since we are still in a initial session for the official F11 theme,
> I've used a simple image to point the birth of a new fedora version.
>
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.png
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.svg
>
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.png
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.svg

I like better the first version (alpha5), since the other one has the
shadow for the release number, "11", in a weird direction, not aligned
with the light source (setting sun).


I think is OK to go with a "neutral" theme like this, since it is too
early and we don't have anything palpable form what will be the theme
used for the release. The beta banner most likely will borrow from the
theme development.


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
"Paul W. Frields"
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:35:36AM +0100, Paolo Leoni wrote:
> Hi there,
> we are almost near to F11 alpha release, so I propose to you some
> candidates for the alpha release banner.
>
> Since we are still in a initial session for the official F11 theme, I've
> used a simple image to point the birth of a new fedora version.
>
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.png
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.svg
>
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.png
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.svg
>
> The great music of the Boss (a.k.a. Bruce Springsteen) has inspired
> these :-)
>
> About background image copyright: the image is a piece of a sunset photo
> that I've taken personally. If is necessary I'll provide the original photo.

I had a constructive comment to make, but I think it might apply to
more upcoming Fedora 11 work than just your banners -- which are
lovely! Excuse my lack of familiarity with the precise jargon used
for describing fonts and spacing:

Our complementary font used for our artwork is the MgOpen Modata font,
and in this font, the numeral "1" has quite a bit of space around it.
That means that the number "11" as in "Fedora 11" looks very oddly
spaced compared to other text elements. Wherever we write "11" I'd
recommend that people use the manual kerning (?) function in Inkscape
to move these numerals closer together.

If we can do this in a standard way, that's fine -- or if we just
leave it to the eye, expecting that if it's way out of balance someone
will identify that problem and tweak the design, that's fine too. I
just thought it was worth mentioning as we head into the time where
people are working on banners that might include "11."

I now have the "Good Eleven" song from Schoolhouse Rock in my head! :-D

--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

Paul W. Frields wrote:


Our complementary font used for our artwork is the MgOpen Modata font,
and in this font, the numeral "1" has quite a bit of space around it.
That means that the number "11" as in "Fedora 11" looks very oddly
spaced compared to other text elements. Wherever we write "11" I'd
recommend that people use the manual kerning (?) function in Inkscape
to move these numerals closer together.


Yes, it is called kerning and is easily adjustable in Inkscape (Alt + <
to decrease the spacing and Alt + > to increase it) and in Gimp (where
we have a text spacing spin button).



If we can do this in a standard way, that's fine -- or if we just
leave it to the eye, expecting that if it's way out of balance someone
will identify that problem and tweak the design, that's fine too. I
just thought it was worth mentioning as we head into the time where
people are working on banners that might include "11."


While in Gimp is easy to remember the value from the spin box, in
Inkscape you need to look at the SVG source to know the exact value, so
I guess we'll have to go with the eye.



--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Paolo Leoni
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

Thank you Nicu and Paul for your feedbacks.

This is the version of alpha5 banner with a "kerning" correction for the
number "11":

http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5c.png
http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5c.svg

Previous versions:

http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.png
http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5.svg

http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.png
http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha6.svg

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org
GPG fingerprint: DAD1 6419 D42B 0B1C D9E1 A9CB 4587 4812 17F7 F764

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 01-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Ian Weller
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 05:21:29PM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> While in Gimp is easy to remember the value from the spin box, in
> Inkscape you need to look at the SVG source to know the exact value, so
> I guess we'll have to go with the eye.
>
And I'll be fixing the damn kerning when I do more work on Fedorelli.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36
"Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet."
~ Douglas Adams
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Paolo Leoni
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

Darren VanBuren ha scritto:
> On 1/24/2009 9:20 AM, Paolo Leoni wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> here you can find a simple "Fedora 11 alpha release banner" for the home
>> page:
>>
>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5c.png
>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5c.svg
>>
>> If it's good for you, I'll upload soon on the wiki.
>>
>>
> The 11 is kinda hard to see, try making it pure white.
>

I apologize if I've started a new thread, I've mistaken the previous
subject.

the new try:

http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5e.png
http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5e.svg

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org
GPG fingerprint: DAD1 6419 D42B 0B1C D9E1 A9CB 4587 4812 17F7 F764

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Paolo Leoni
 
Default Fedora 11 Alpha - release banner

Darren VanBuren ha scritto:
> On 1/24/2009 9:59 AM, Paolo Leoni wrote:
>> Darren VanBuren ha scritto:
>>
>>> On 1/24/2009 9:20 AM, Paolo Leoni wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi there,
>>>> here you can find a simple "Fedora 11 alpha release banner" for the
>>>> home
>>>> page:
>>>>
>>>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5c.png
>>>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5c.svg
>>>>
>>>> If it's good for you, I'll upload soon on the wiki.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> The 11 is kinda hard to see, try making it pure white.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I apologize if I've started a new thread, I've mistaken the previous
>> subject.
>>
>> the new try:
>>
>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5e.png
>> http://pleoni.altervista.org/fedora11-banner-alpha5e.svg
>>
>>
> Much better.
>

For your convenience, I've uploaded the banner on wiki:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Fedora11alpha-banner.png
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Fedora11alpha-banner.svg



--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org
GPG fingerprint: DAD1 6419 D42B 0B1C D9E1 A9CB 4587 4812 17F7 F764


_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org