Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Máirí­n Duffy

Default Art ideas for Fedora 11 (grub, boot, splashes, window decorations, button styles etc...)

Hi Mark,

Mark wrote:

So what do you think about this?
Is it worth starting to make mockups?

We are going to wait until the F11 codename is decided on (in a couple
of weeks or so) until we decide what to do about the theme. A few of us
discussed this earlier and felt that if we all worked on the same idea
rather than each person working on a different idea, then we could all
work together rather than separately and come up with a more
collaborative, higher-quality theme. We are worried that the codename
may not be so inspirational for a theme, but even if it isn't, we can
have a meeting or some kind of brainstorming session where we can reach
a nice, visually pleasing theme idea together to move forward with,
inspired by the codename or not.

So let's wait a couple of weeks and reach a decision together, is that okay?

~m

Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Máirí­n Duffy

Mark wrote:

We are going to wait until the F11 codename is decided on (in a couple of
weeks or so) until we decide what to do about the theme. A few of us
discussed this earlier and felt that if we all worked on the same idea
rather than each person working on a different idea, then we could all work
together rather than separately and come up with a more collaborative,
higher-quality theme. We are worried that the codename may not be so
inspirational for a theme, but even if it isn't, we can have a meeting or
some kind of brainstorming session where we can reach a nice, visually
pleasing theme idea together to move forward with, inspired by the codename
or not.

So let's wait a couple of weeks and reach a decision together, is that okay?

~m

Just opinions on the theme idea regardless of the name would be fine with me.
I'm also fine with your suggestion. Could you send me a PM (so i'm
sure that i don't miss it) with when and where (irc probably) the
brainstorming session is.

We haven't scheduled it yet, still waiting on the name to be decided on.
I think sometime early in January, the exact date may be on the naming
wiki page Paul posted a couple of weeks ago to this list. (Sorry I don't
remember it off-hand)

~m

Old 01-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Máirí­n Duffy

Mark wrote:

The new name is now known: Leonidas
but my question for the theme still stands. So here is my initial post
on this subject again:

I don't think the themes of FC1-4 were particularly notable, and I do
think it is worth discussing a new theme for F11.

Nased on Leonidas we could do something related to water or something
kind of nautical.

- We could get some inspiration from traditional nautical tools, like
compasses, navigational charts, telescope, all that kind of stuff. It
could have a kind of steampunk look.

- Or we can get some inspiration from water and water traffic. For
example, imagine time lapse photos of a river in a city over the course
of a day, with folks rowing crew in the morning, sailing in the
afternoon, with tour/party boats coming through in the evening - for the
time-lapse wallpaper. We could also have Fedora contributors around the
world take photos of bodies of water near where they live and those
could be a set of supplemental wallpapers.

~m

Old 01-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Máirí­n Duffy

Mark wrote:

So a new theme would be welcome. Why not on the FC1 - 4 releases
(blue/purple like) which fits the name perfectly. Blue/purple is like
the ocean (oke, more blue then purple).

Are you talking about just the colors of FC1-FC4 or the actual theme?
And are you talking about the *artwork* or are you talking about the
GTK/metacity etc?

I am just talking about artwork here....

But one other theming thing... what about those rounds? and the
deadlines? I would like to mock something up but anything in the next
few (2 till 4) weeks is probably not gonna work for me because of a
school project.

We aren't doing the rounds anymore. We are all going to work together on
one design so our energies aren't split and we can work together more. I
am at fudcon with John Poelstra right now working out the deadlines. So
far it is looking like:

20 Jan - Fedora Alpha release
01 Feb - Visual concept for F11 decided
01 Mar - First draft wallpaper ready to package for Beta
10 Mar - Beta Freeze
02 Apr - splashes / rest of artwork done for packaging for preview release
14 Apr - final freeze
28 Apr - preview release
26 May - final release GA

And what about that brainstorming session.. which irc channel will it
be? when will it be held?

We can do it right on this list. We're doing it right now

~m

Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 18:14 +0100, Mark wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Máirí*n Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Are you talking about just the colors of FC1-FC4 or the actual theme? And
> > are you talking about the *artwork* or are you talking about the
> > GTK/metacity etc?
>
> Just the colors. and that can be used to make a new theme for Fedora 11
> >
> > I am just talking about artwork here....
>
> I'm kinda talking about both..

Well, for GTK/Metacity related talks, please make a separate thread for
it. If you make mockups, I'll consider them. I am currently working on a
major rewrite of nodoka (so far only GTK), you can check the progress
usually on my blog [1]. The latest screenshots are at [2], though in my
laptop I am already a few steps farther... I've already reworked
progress bars and will write new post when I finish the Scales.

Martin

Refereces:
[1] http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/
[2]
http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-new-years-updates-to-nodoka.html

Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Nicu Buculei

Máirí*n Duffy wrote:

Nased on Leonidas we could do something related to water or something
kind of nautical.

Technically the vote was for the ship but I am sure (and the reaction
after the announcement are a reassurance) most people voted for the Spartan.

So I am thinking about the Golden ratio[1], used a loot in the Ancient
Greek architecture, notably on the Parthenon and probably a graphic
based on the Golden ratio would be fit.

Not sure what would be the best option, but how about a nautilus
blueprint? This way we have a link with Greece (golden ratio), water
(nautilus) and steampunk (blueprint). And maybe throw in some
mathematical formulas for additional geekiness.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Samuele Storari

I think work on the Golden Ratio will be good.

I've got just a question, using the nautilus theme maybe can distort the original theme to another, Nautilus comes from another story, or not?
If the concept is the spartan concept what about the golden Hellenic Age in Greece?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic

The Hellenic age was the top of the acient greece time and it spouse the first concept as well, maybe we can use a steam punk, futuristic theme for the old art.
Or we can use the Olimpic Theme born in Greece, talking about Olimpic so far was created to unify all the greece's people as a nation and not as a lot of State-city, in peace and happy moment, like Fedora unify people all over the world.

Cheers
Samuele

> Nased on Leonidas we could do something related to water or something
> kind of nautical.

Technically the vote was for the ship but I am sure (and the reaction
after the announcement are a reassurance) most people voted for the Spartan.

So I am thinking about the Golden ratio[1], used a loot in the Ancient
Greek architecture, notably on the Parthenon and probably a graphic
based on the Golden ratio would be fit.

Not sure what would be the best option, but how about a nautilus
blueprint? This way we have a link with Greece (golden ratio), water
(nautilus) and steampunk (blueprint). And maybe throw in some
mathematical formulas for additional geekiness.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Samuele Storari
Art Director
Byte-Code srl
mobile: +39 347 50 798 32
office: +39 02 9840047
http://www.byte-code.com

Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Konstantinos Antonakoglou

Very interesting ideas. Since Leonidas is a ancient Greek name and a
name of a ship, we could use a trireme [1] or something similar (more
artistic, less combat). Basically, I imagine a trireme-like, or even an
ancient fish-boat (with or without the Fedora logo on its sail :P)
sailing on a sea of stars (with splashes on its front). I guess it can
be combined with the golden ratio , math etc.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trireme

Now, some other points. Sea from an other point of view doesn't separate
land, it unites land. No mountains, trees, obstacles, etc, just water
and the human ingenuity.

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 11:45 +0100, Samuele Storari wrote:

> The Hellenic age was the top of the acient greece time and it spouse the first concept as well, maybe we can use a steam punk, futuristic theme for the old art.
> Or we can use the Olimpic Theme born in Greece, talking about Olimpic so far was created to unify all the greece's people as a nation and not as a lot of State-city, in peace and happy moment, like Fedora unify people all over the world.

I think the "Olympic spirit" concept is something completely different
than the "sea - ship - golden ratio" one.

--
Konstantinos Antonakoglou
PGP key: 0xC9E2E16B

Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Charlie Brej

Samuele Storari wrote:
Technically the vote was for the ship but I am sure (and the reaction
after the announcement are a reassurance) most people voted for the Spartan.

So I am thinking about the Golden ratio[1], used a loot in the Ancient
Greek architecture, notably on the Parthenon and probably a graphic
based on the Golden ratio would be fit.

Not sure what would be the best option, but how about a nautilus
blueprint? This way we have a link with Greece (golden ratio), water
(nautilus) and steampunk (blueprint). And maybe throw in some
mathematical formulas for additional geekiness.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Looking by the name suggestions page[1], we can have a theme based on either the
name or the link. The only problem is the theme should be as acceptable to as
many people as possible. So, for the Leonidas theme we should stay away from:
violence, nudity, blood, glorification of war, nationalistic sentiments etc...
I assume this is why on the themeable column the name is marked as no. But the
suggestions you state seem to be perfectly acceptable. There is also famous
story about Lionidas's wife "Gorgo" and a wax tablet[2].

Máirí*n, could you start a new thread with the rules and ideas as an official
process start point? How far can we stray?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_11
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgo,_Queen_of_Sparta

Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Nicu Buculei

Charlie Brej wrote:

Samuele Storari wrote:
Technically the vote was for the ship but I am sure (and the reaction
after the announcement are a reassurance) most people voted for the
Spartan.

Bad things with those broken threads, as the messages got attributed
incorrectly...

Máirí*n, could you start a new thread with the rules and ideas as an
official process start point? How far can we stray?

I don't think there is a need for Mo to start the thread, you can do it
yourself and we all will join. You can also start a page in the wiki to
hold the sketches.