Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Mark

Default Art ideas for Fedora 11 (grub, boot, splashes, window decorations, button styles etc...)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Mark <markg85@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was just looking through the art list for once in a while again and
> i would like to suggest some ideas i have for fedora 11. Just to see
> if they are possible to get in or if they don't even make a chance.
>
> My idea for the general theme is to go back to the old fedora days.
> fedora 1, 2, 3 and 4 and base a theme on that style.
> Then that style has to be visible everywhere throughout fedora:
> - Grub
> - Boot
> - Splashes (kde, gnome etc...)
> - Window Decorations (reed WIN-DEC)
> - Button styles
>
> WIN-DEC:
> Fedora has Nodoka for a few releases now but everytime i see fedora
> again i feel like i want to go back to the old theme of the first four
> fedora releases. That theme wasn't bad and looked very good.
> I am actually now downloading Fedora Core 4 to see how all looked
> exactly. To refresh everyone's mind. here is a screenshot tour.
> http://bigmonkey.claudeplante.com/20070619/images/20070619_42.jpg
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=204&num=1
>
> now i'm NOT suggesting to "re-use" that theme in the same style but
> just to create a new theme based on those colors.
>
> So what do you think about this?
> Is it worth starting to make mockups?

Btw if you want to download Fedora Core 4 as well:
ftp://ftp.net.pulawy.pl/pub/linux/fedora/4/iso/ (one of the only
reasonable good links i could find)

Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Mark

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Máirí*n Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark wrote:
>>
>> So what do you think about this?
>> Is it worth starting to make mockups?
>
> We are going to wait until the F11 codename is decided on (in a couple of
> weeks or so) until we decide what to do about the theme. A few of us
> discussed this earlier and felt that if we all worked on the same idea
> rather than each person working on a different idea, then we could all work
> together rather than separately and come up with a more collaborative,
> higher-quality theme. We are worried that the codename may not be so
> inspirational for a theme, but even if it isn't, we can have a meeting or
> some kind of brainstorming session where we can reach a nice, visually
> pleasing theme idea together to move forward with, inspired by the codename
> or not.
>
> So let's wait a couple of weeks and reach a decision together, is that okay?
>
> ~m

Just opinions on the theme idea regardless of the name would be fine with me.
I'm also fine with your suggestion. Could you send me a PM (so i'm
sure that i don't miss it) with when and where (irc probably) the
brainstorming session is.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Mark

2008/12/23 Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 04:35:37PM -0800, Máirí*n Duffy wrote:
>> Mark wrote:

>>> Just opinions on the theme idea regardless of the name would be fine with me.
>>> I'm also fine with your suggestion. Could you send me a PM (so i'm
>>> sure that i don't miss it) with when and where (irc probably) the
>>> brainstorming session is.
>>
>> We haven't scheduled it yet, still waiting on the name to be decided on.
>> I think sometime early in January, the exact date may be on the naming
>> wiki page Paul posted a couple of weeks ago to this list. (Sorry I don't
>> remember it off-hand)
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_11
>
> January 10 is when we'll announce, at FUDCon Boston 2009.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
> gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
> http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
> irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug

Hey again,

The new name is now known: Leonidas
but my question for the theme still stands. So here is my initial post
on this subject again:

Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Mark

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Máirí*n Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>>
>> The new name is now known: Leonidas
>> but my question for the theme still stands. So here is my initial post
>> on this subject again:
>
> I don't think the themes of FC1-4 were particularly notable, and I do think
> it is worth discussing a new theme for F11.
>
> Nased on Leonidas we could do something related to water or something kind
> of nautical.
>
> - We could get some inspiration from traditional nautical tools, like
> compasses, navigational charts, telescope, all that kind of stuff. It could
> have a kind of steampunk look.

The things i think of here (fedora slogans):
- (Compass) Fedora guides you through the linux distributions or
Fedora leads the way
- (Telescope) Fedora, a impact visible from space

And based on those "slogans" you can make up a nice wallpaper ^_^

> - Or we can get some inspiration from water and water traffic. For example,
> imagine time lapse photos of a river in a city over the course of a day,
> with folks rowing crew in the morning, sailing in the afternoon, with
> tour/party boats coming through in the evening - for the time-lapse
> wallpaper. We could also have Fedora contributors around the world take
> photos of bodies of water near where they live and those could be a set of
> supplemental wallpapers.

It could work...
not really sure what to think of it really.

> ~m

So a new theme would be welcome. Why not on the FC1 - 4 releases
(blue/purple like) which fits the name perfectly. Blue/purple is like
the ocean (oke, more blue then purple).
But one other theming thing... what about those rounds? and the
deadlines? I would like to mock something up but anything in the next
few (2 till 4) weeks is probably not gonna work for me because of a
school project.

And what about that brainstorming session.. which irc channel will it
be? when will it be held?

So much questions at this point ^_^

Regards,
Mark

Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Mark

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Máirí*n Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>>
>> So a new theme would be welcome. Why not on the FC1 - 4 releases
>> (blue/purple like) which fits the name perfectly. Blue/purple is like
>> the ocean (oke, more blue then purple).
>
> Are you talking about just the colors of FC1-FC4 or the actual theme? And
> are you talking about the *artwork* or are you talking about the
> GTK/metacity etc?

Just the colors. and that can be used to make a new theme for Fedora 11

> I am just talking about artwork here....

I'm kinda talking about both..

>> But one other theming thing... what about those rounds? and the
>> deadlines? I would like to mock something up but anything in the next
>> few (2 till 4) weeks is probably not gonna work for me because of a
>> school project.
>
> We aren't doing the rounds anymore. We are all going to work together on one
> design so our energies aren't split and we can work together more.

O yea true. i forgot that one.

> I am at
> fudcon with John Poelstra right now working out the deadlines. So far it is
> looking like:
>
> 20 Jan - Fedora Alpha release
> 01 Feb - Visual concept for F11 decided

So by 01 Feb a theme design has to be made and approved (just the
mockups i guess)

> 01 Mar - First draft wallpaper ready to package for Beta
> 10 Mar - Beta Freeze
> 02 Apr - splashes / rest of artwork done for packaging for preview release
> 14 Apr - final freeze

So by this time the theme has to be working. Only bug fixes from there on right?

> 28 Apr - preview release
> 26 May - final release GA
>>
>> And what about that brainstorming session.. which irc channel will it
>> be? when will it be held?
>
> We can do it right on this list. We're doing it right now

True. Just a few more people that are also putting in ideas would be healthy.

> ~m
Mark

Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Mark

2009/1/11 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 18:14 +0100, Mark wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Máirí*n Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> > Are you talking about just the colors of FC1-FC4 or the actual theme? And
>> > are you talking about the *artwork* or are you talking about the
>> > GTK/metacity etc?
>>
>> Just the colors. and that can be used to make a new theme for Fedora 11
>> >
>> > I am just talking about artwork here....
>>
>> I'm kinda talking about both..
>
> Well, for GTK/Metacity related talks, please make a separate thread for
> it. If you make mockups, I'll consider them.

Well.. here it's just brainstorming for the mockups.. the actual
mockups will go in a new thread though a few might land in here as
well just to clear up what i mean (one picture tells more than
thousand words).

To get back on the subject.. what are the exact colours that where
used on the old fedora themes (FC 1 till 4)? and what was the idea
back then behind the "themes"? (it where more boot and login things
then full desktop themes)

> I am currently working on a
> major rewrite of nodoka (so far only GTK), you can check the progress
> usually on my blog [1]. The latest screenshots are at [2], though in my
> laptop I am already a few steps farther... I've already reworked
> progress bars and will write new post when I finish the Scales.

Hmm.. to be honest.. i don't like it much.. specially those diagonal
stripes in the progress bars.
And in general it seems to be inspired by KDE 4 ^_^ (specially those
buttons)... I wonder why we don't just use the murrine engine? it's
good and can do everything that nodoka can do plus more (the svn
version). Just make a thread to show off your nodoka engine and i will
post all my critics i have for it ^_^

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Jaroslav Reznik

On Sunday 11 of January 2009 16:47:53 MáirÃ*Â*n Duffy wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > The new name is now known: Leonidas
> > but my question for the theme still stands. So here is my initial post
> > on this subject again:
>
> I don't think the themes of FC1-4 were particularly notable, and I do
> think it is worth discussing a new theme for F11.
>
> Nased on Leonidas we could do something related to water or something
> kind of nautical.

+1

> - We could get some inspiration from traditional nautical tools, like
> compasses, navigational charts, telescope, all that kind of stuff. It
> could have a kind of steampunk look.

I like this steampunk idea!

R.

> - Or we can get some inspiration from water and water traffic. For
> example, imagine time lapse photos of a river in a city over the course
> of a day, with folks rowing crew in the morning, sailing in the
> afternoon, with tour/party boats coming through in the evening - for the
> time-lapse wallpaper. We could also have Fedora contributors around the
> world take photos of bodies of water near where they live and those
> could be a set of supplemental wallpapers.
>
> ~m

Jaroslav ŘeznÃ*k <jreznik@redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 731 455 332