Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Martin Sourada

Default Solar backrounds - enable by default?

Hi,

I've just built an updated solar-backgrounds package [1]. It now
contains all wallpapers available on wiki (16:10, 4:3, 5:4 and dual) for
all day times with the xml for choosing one appropriate for the current
time and date. I've bumped up the release to 0.90.0 and if everything is
OK and these will be final, I'll bump it again to 1.0.0 which should be
in Fedora 10 gold.

I noticed there is a brighter horizontal line in the dual screen
wallpapers at the left part of the wallpaper. Is that OK? I think it
should be fixed.

We need to enable them by default, I believe Mo is taking care of it?
There's one concern though - the size of the package is 37.4 MiB. Is
there a chance to make it smaller, or is it the best we can achieve?

Thanks,
Martin

Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Bill Nottingham

Martin Sourada (martin.sourada@gmail.com) said:
> We need to enable them by default, I believe Mo is taking care of it?
> There's one concern though - the size of the package is 37.4 MiB. Is
> there a chance to make it smaller, or is it the best we can achieve?

That may be an issue for the livecd. The existing desktop-backgrounds
package (that's put on the livecd, and includes the waves images)
is 14MB.

Bill

Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Máirín Duffy

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Martin Sourada (martin.sourada@gmail.com) said:
>> We need to enable them by default, I believe Mo is taking care of it?
>> There's one concern though - the size of the package is 37.4 MiB. Is
>> there a chance to make it smaller, or is it the best we can achieve?
>
> That may be an issue for the livecd. The existing desktop-backgrounds
> package (that's put on the livecd, and includes the waves images)
> is 14MB.

So the ones we have are very high resolution. We could scale
them down to smaller more common resolutions and I am sure
save a lot of space. But if people want to install the
higher resolution ones, (say for a 30" monitor or dual
screens) what's the best way to package that?

~m

Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Máirín Duffy wrote:

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Martin Sourada (martin.sourada@gmail.com) said:

We need to enable them by default, I believe Mo is taking care of it?
There's one concern though - the size of the package is 37.4 MiB. Is
there a chance to make it smaller, or is it the best we can achieve?

That may be an issue for the livecd. The existing desktop-backgrounds
package (that's put on the livecd, and includes the waves images)
is 14MB.

So the ones we have are very high resolution. We could scale
them down to smaller more common resolutions and I am sure
save a lot of space. But if people want to install the
higher resolution ones, (say for a 30" monitor or dual
screens) what's the best way to package that?

We can split up the high res ones into a separate sub package so it is
available in the repo but not installed by default. Live CD is always
cramped for space so we need to be careful there.

Rahul