FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Design Team

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Nicu Buculei
 
Default F10 artwork questions

Bill Nottingham wrote:

Some general questions:

When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...
(Also, is it known late this release, and scheduled to be earlier
in future releases?)


As I understand, the final Solar images received OK and are ready for
packaging. I am not familiar with the process of going from wiki to package.



The poster on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar -
it doesn't appear to be valid English, certainly not in the header.
And I'm not sure what "an all branded new way of technology" is.


The post is not part of the release and should not be a blocker for
packaging (and I agree with you, its wording can be improved - we don't
have a better text from marketing).



Finally, not to start too much controversy - is there a reason the
*final* theme voting is Art-only?


It may not be the best link but
http://mihmo.livejournal.com/62031.html?thread=331343#t331343


We were not supposed to have a vote but decide the final theme by
consensus, only that for this release a consensus was not reached so we
had to use an internal vote.


--
nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com
Cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
Open Clip Art Library: http://www.openclipart.org
my Fedora stuff: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default F10 artwork questions

Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro) said:
>> When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...
>> (Also, is it known late this release, and scheduled to be earlier
>> in future releases?)
>
> As I understand, the final Solar images received OK and are ready for
> packaging. I am not familiar with the process of going from wiki to
> package.

OK, cc'ing logos maintainer.

Bill

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
"Paul W. Frields"
 
Default F10 artwork questions

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 18:38 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
[...snip...]
> > The poster on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar -
> > it doesn't appear to be valid English, certainly not in the header.
> > And I'm not sure what "an all branded new way of technology" is.
>
> The post is not part of the release and should not be a blocker for
> packaging (and I agree with you, its wording can be improved - we don't
> have a better text from marketing).

I forwarded to Marketing for some input.

Also, I think the radar echoes (or whatever you want to call those
concentric circles) look out of place. I think these came from the Live
USB creation station. Removing them could make the art a little
cleaner.

It also might look cool to bring the solar body closer to the viewer --
i.e. seeing less of the sun, with less curvature, as if you were flying
close the surface. This might help accent the idea that the viewer is
supposed to be excited by what's coming, and it's not fully revealed
yet.

--
Paul W. Frields
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 04:12 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"
 
Default F10 artwork questions

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 12:01 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro) said:
> >> When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...
> >> (Also, is it known late this release, and scheduled to be earlier
> >> in future releases?)
> >
> > As I understand, the final Solar images received OK and are ready for
> > packaging. I am not familiar with the process of going from wiki to
> > package.
>
> OK, cc'ing logos maintainer.

I just need a list of the files that need to be added to the
fedora-logos package (along with where I can download them).

~spot

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Máirín Duffy
 
Default F10 artwork questions

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Some general questions:
>
> When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...

Peter already has the artwork for syslinux and grub.

The wallpapers are ready to be checked in. I'm going to be
working with Ray to make this happen this week likely.

The anaconda and firstboot artwork is ready to be checked
in, I will be passing them off to Jeremy and Chris this week.

> (Also, is it known late this release, and scheduled to be earlier
> in future releases?)

It is well-known that we were targeting beta, but are going
to end up in the RC again. This is no regression from
previous releases since the artwork has appeared in test
3/RC in previous release. We would like to target Beta for
F11. The delay was because of the vote which didn't quite
line up with a beta artwork release. However, we did have
prototype wallpapers available in the beta so we've done
better than in previous releases for sure.
>
> The poster on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar -
> it doesn't appear to be valid English, certainly not in the header.
> And I'm not sure what "an all branded new way of technology" is.

That is just a draft. It's not official yet thus it's not on
the marketing materials page. Edits and changes are welcomed.
>
> Finally, not to start too much controversy - is there a reason the
> *final* theme voting is Art-only?

Yes, and I believe this was made clear when we discussed how
the vote should be run on this list, basically:

- Artists are better able to evaluate/critique artwork than
people without an artistic background.
- Artists work hard on the artwork across Fedora all the
time (not just the theme but hackergotchis, banners,
posters, tshirts, pins, websites, icons, etc. etc. etc) and
should have some recognition/reward for that.
- The artists are the ones who are going to have to work on
finalizing the theme, so it makes sense they should have to
work on something they enjoy working on.

~m

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Martin Sourada
 
Default F10 artwork questions

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 12:52 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Some general questions:
> >
> > When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...
>
> Peter already has the artwork for syslinux and grub.
>
> The wallpapers are ready to be checked in. I'm going to be
> working with Ray to make this happen this week likely.
>
The wallpapers are already in rawhide (solar-backgrounds package) and
working (the last version on wiki). I haven't found the night version of
the dual screen one so I skipped it for now. Can some of you fix that
(either it's missing altogether or there is some error in the wiki).

We just need to enable them by default.

Martin
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default F10 artwork questions

Máirín Duffy (duffy@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...
>
> Peter already has the artwork for syslinux and grub.
>
> The wallpapers are ready to be checked in. I'm going to be
> working with Ray to make this happen this week likely.
>
> The anaconda and firstboot artwork is ready to be checked
> in, I will be passing them off to Jeremy and Chris this week.

Cool. Note that in most cases outside of the backgrounds, the artwork
ends up in fedora-logos/generic-logos, not anaconda/firstboot/etc. So
that may change who gets what.

> > The poster on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Solar -
> > it doesn't appear to be valid English, certainly not in the header.
> > And I'm not sure what "an all branded new way of technology" is.
>
> That is just a draft. It's not official yet thus it's not on
> the marketing materials page. Edits and changes are welcomed.

If Marketing's already on the case, that's fine by me.

> > Finally, not to start too much controversy - is there a reason the
> > *final* theme voting is Art-only?
>
> Yes, and I believe this was made clear when we discussed how
> the vote should be run on this list, basically:
>
> - Artists are better able to evaluate/critique artwork than
> people without an artistic background.
> - Artists work hard on the artwork across Fedora all the
> time (not just the theme but hackergotchis, banners,
> posters, tshirts, pins, websites, icons, etc. etc. etc) and
> should have some recognition/reward for that.
> - The artists are the ones who are going to have to work on
> finalizing the theme, so it makes sense they should have to
> work on something they enjoy working on.

I was thinking of it for the final cut as something akin to how the
name is determined, after the entries have been winnowed by the Art
team as above. But I understand where you're coming from. I'll hit
up the archives.

Bill

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Máirín Duffy
 
Default F10 artwork questions

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> I was thinking of it for the final cut as something akin to how the
> name is determined, after the entries have been winnowed by the Art
> team as above. But I understand where you're coming from. I'll hit
> up the archives.

How do the ideas get winnowed by the art team though if
there are only typically 3-4 to choose from?

See where we are coming from?

Usually we come on a clear consensus. This time, a lot of
folks put a lot of effort into more themes than we all have
in the past. We felt the vote was the best way for our team
to come to an internal consensus but by no means do we plan
on relying on a vote for each feature. It's better when we
come to the consensus naturally I think and we usually do.

~m

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
"Paul W. Frields"
 
Default F10 artwork questions

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 14:21 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > I was thinking of it for the final cut as something akin to how the
> > name is determined, after the entries have been winnowed by the Art
> > team as above. But I understand where you're coming from. I'll hit
> > up the archives.
>
> How do the ideas get winnowed by the art team though if
> there are only typically 3-4 to choose from?
>
> See where we are coming from?
>
> Usually we come on a clear consensus. This time, a lot of
> folks put a lot of effort into more themes than we all have
> in the past. We felt the vote was the best way for our team
> to come to an internal consensus but by no means do we plan
> on relying on a vote for each feature. It's better when we
> come to the consensus naturally I think and we usually do.

The fact that there were so many solid entries this time around is a
clear indicator of how the Artwork team has really prospered over the
last couple of years. (Has it been that long? Yeesh.) I really do
think that part of that success is due to a pretty solid design sense
shared by the team, but yet open-mindedness about new ideas that fresh
hands bring on board. I was really happy to look around at several
theme ideas this release and think, "Wow, any of these would be really
great for Fedora 10."

--
Paul W. Frields
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 
Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Máirín Duffy
 
Default F10 artwork questions

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 12:01 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro) said:
>>>> When is it going to land for integration and review? Time is ticking...
>>>> (Also, is it known late this release, and scheduled to be earlier
>>>> in future releases?)
>>> As I understand, the final Solar images received OK and are ready for
>>> packaging. I am not familiar with the process of going from wiki to
>>> package.
>> OK, cc'ing logos maintainer.
>
> I just need a list of the files that need to be added to the
> fedora-logos package (along with where I can download them).

Well, I did an rpm -ql on the fedora-logos package, and
listed out the files that I know we're replacing for the
solar theme. It some cases the same image is in the package
under two different paths. Anywhere, here are all the paths:

1 - /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
2 - /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/boot/syslinux-splash.png
3 - /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/syslinux-vesa-splash.jpg
4 - /usr/share/anaconda/pixmaps/anaconda_header.png
5 - /usr/share/anaconda/pixmaps/progress_first-lowres.png
6 - /usr/share/anaconda/pixmaps/progress_first.png
7 - /usr/share/anaconda/pixmaps/splash.png
8 - /usr/share/anaconda/pixmaps/syslinux-splash.png
9 - /usr/share/firstboot/themes/fedora-waves/splash-small.png
10 - /usr/share/firstboot/themes/fedora-waves/firstboot-left.png
11 - /usr/share/gnome-screensaver/lock-dialog-system.png
12 - /usr/share/pixmaps/splash/gnome-splash.png
13 - /usr/share/pixmaps/splash

All the images are named according to the above (the
filenames, anyway) and in the following tar.gz:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/a/a9/Fedora-logos-artwork_solar.tar.gz

I also noticed these files in the fedora-logos package that
should probably be deleted:

1 -
/usr/share/firstboot/themes/fedora-waves/firstboot-header.png
2 -
/usr/share/firstboot/themes/fedora-waves/shadowman-round-48.png
3 - /usr/share/pixmaps/redhat/shadowman-round-48.png

One note is that the anaconda and syslinux images haven't
been tested...

~m

_______________________________________________
Fedora-art-list mailing list
Fedora-art-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-art-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org