Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Paolo Leoni

Default Fedora 10 promo video (draft)

A little idea about a "promo" video for Fedora 10:

http://pleoni.altervista.org/works_files/fedora_10_promo_1.ogg

Source informations:

- "Blue Sun" animation was downloaded from SOHO main website, this is
the copyright notice:
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/summary/copyright.html

- The song is titled "musiquette" and was downloaded from Jamendo, from
this album: http://www.jamendo.com/it/album/1749

The software used for video editing is "Kino".

--
Paolo Leoni ~ http://pleoni.altervista.org
GPG fingerprint: DAD1 6419 D42B 0B1C D9E1 A9CB 4587 4812 17F7 F764

Old 10-15-2008, 02:19 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 02:15 +0200, Paolo Leoni wrote:
> A little idea about a "promo" video for Fedora 10:
>
> http://pleoni.altervista.org/works_files/fedora_10_promo_1.ogg
>

> Source informations:
>
> - "Blue Sun" animation was downloaded from SOHO main website, this is
> the copyright notice:
> http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/summary/copyright.html
>
> - The song is titled "musiquette" and was downloaded from Jamendo, from
> this album: http://www.jamendo.com/it/album/1749
>
> The software used for video editing is "Kino".

This was pretty nice! Some critical points:

* I think pointing out "Solar" when you use a sun for the backdrop is
probably unnecessary -- it's actually cooler to let the sun speak for
itself as our theme.

* The music is licensed as CC BY-NC-SA, which isn't appropriate for
Fedora. Remixers need to be free to use the material commercially if
they want. (Besides, I'd look for something where the performance
doesn't have so many wrong notes and "clams.")

On the whole I think this is a neat idea -- why not have a nice little
film if we have stock graphics to support it? If you have the various
source files, you'll want to post them (or links to them). Is Kino in
our repository?

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Nicu Buculei

Paul W. Frields wrote:

* I think pointing out "Solar" when you use a sun for the backdrop is
probably unnecessary -- it's actually cooler to let the sun speak for
itself as our theme.

I also think that naming the theme was a bit too much, "a new graphic
theme" would be enough.

I also think it's very hard to make a "short" list with features to outline

On the whole I think this is a neat idea -- why not have a nice little
film if we have stock graphics to support it? If you have the various
source files, you'll want to post them (or links to them). Is Kino in
our repository?

No, Kino uses certain codecs so can't be included in Fedora. It is
usually installed from the just-launched repository that sould not be
named
It was an effort to make it suitable for inclusion, but in the end it
was not pursued (it was too hard). So for the moment we don't have a
video editor "good enough" - PiTiVi is not there yet.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:32 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 09:17 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > * I think pointing out "Solar" when you use a sun for the backdrop is
> > probably unnecessary -- it's actually cooler to let the sun speak for
> > itself as our theme.
>
> I also think that naming the theme was a bit too much, "a new graphic
> theme" would be enough.
> I also think it's very hard to make a "short" list with features to outline

We have made such a list in Marketing already:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2008-September/msg00183.html

Any marketing-type materials should probably be coordinated through
Fedora Marketing to figure out actual text to use, and to make sure the
message matches across the board.

> > On the whole I think this is a neat idea -- why not have a nice little
> > film if we have stock graphics to support it? If you have the various
> > source files, you'll want to post them (or links to them). Is Kino in
> > our repository?
>
> No, Kino uses certain codecs so can't be included in Fedora. It is
> usually installed from the just-launched repository that sould not be
> named
> It was an effort to make it suitable for inclusion, but in the end it
> was not pursued (it was too hard). So for the moment we don't have a
> video editor "good enough" - PiTiVi is not there yet.

Hmm. Do we require simply FOSS-made materials, or specifically
Fedora-made materials?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Nicu Buculei